PDA

View Full Version : Quarter at 50 yards

bobthenailer
04-16-2006, 06:39 PM
hi , after shooting saturday i went into the club house and ordered a drink , a few men were talking about shooting ,1 guy said he and his buddy used to shoot quarters with a revolver, off hand at 50 yards! when i asked him how often he hit them 1 in 10/ 1 in 20 ect he said all the time! after calling him on his statement he finally came up with he wasnt talking to me and i wasnt included in the conversation even though he was sitting next to me.and i did contribute in the conversation several times before his statement. time to leave!!! nicer people on the range not the bar . i found the secret missing loading/shooting component, alcohol will make you a better shooter!!!!

MT Gianni
04-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Time to tell him only wimps and blind people shot them face on at 50 yards, real men turned them edgewise. When I shot a lot of ppc I could hit a nickle at 15 yards 7 out of 10 and feel pretty good. Gianni.

imashooter2
04-16-2006, 07:52 PM
The older I get, the better I was.[smilie=1:

versifier
04-16-2006, 08:38 PM
We shot them with S&W 9mm's at 25yds. It usually took one mag per quarter (15rds). Sometimes one of us would get two, sometimes none. Or we would use an old High Standard or Ruger MkII, still averaged about 15 shots per quarter, but they have 10rd mags. One memorable afternoon, I hit two with the first three shots out of the Ruger, but that was two years ago and I've never done it since. I think it would take a human Ransom Rest to do it at 50yds. I haven't met many handguns that are CAPABLE of keeping under an inch at 50yds. What was he shooting, no, I'd rather know what was he drinking? Maybe if I drink some AND use it to clean my pistol I could do it too, do you think? I bet he grows some great vegetables with that grade of ********.

NVcurmudgeon
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Once I made the mistake of saying at work that I had been shooting on the weekend. Immediately one of my co-workers volunteered that he and his brother loaded their own ammunition, and that the ammunition factories did a terrible job of making the powder charges uniform. By loading their own, with weighed charges, these guys could shoot "GROUPS OF UNDER ONE INCH AT 500 YARDS, OFFHAND." I was smart enough to limit my comments to an occasional "wow." I never let on that I shot competitively, loaded, or cast boolits. And, never again did I mention hunting, guns, shooting, or loading in that venue.

45 2.1
04-16-2006, 10:29 PM
One excellent "TEST" for these guys is the little pasters/stickers that are about nickel size or slightly less. Put a row of six them up about 5" apart at 7 yards and bet that they can't hit all of them. If you lose the bet, then you know that the guy or gal is VERY good. 99 times out of a hundred you will win. I use this to teach folks to shoot well enough to handgun hunt or shoot competition. The paster is the same width as a soda can at 50 yards.

Beerd
04-17-2006, 02:25 PM
quarters at 50 yards,
that's 5 cents here, 5 cents over there, 'nuther 5 down there.....

1 inch groups at 500 yards is easy,
if it's a one shot "group", and don't forget to hold a little high ;-)

KCSO
04-17-2006, 05:38 PM
My old boss said it best..

"Thats what we fought so hard for in the Great War, the right of anyone to say anything no matter how stupid it might be".

He usually directed this as somone who was blowing hard about their prowess and a few times he had to punctuate it with fisticuffs when the hearer took offence.

reloaderman
04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
That quarter story reminds me of my own shooting skills, I could shoot a 5 shot group @ 200 yds and cover it with a quarter!
Well, I didn't have a quarter so I used 5 nickles!:mrgreen:

redneckdan
04-21-2006, 02:22 AM
If I take my time I can hold a quarter sized group at 50yds with my 4x scoped .22 bolt rifle in the prone position, most of the time, usually...