PDA

View Full Version : How do you decap live primers

ghh3rd
09-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Is it safe to decap live primers the same way as used primers? I would think that it would be unlikely that one would go off if pressed out slowly, but if one did wouldn't it just make noise and smoke? Of course good eye protection would be necessary.

Thanks for any advice.

Randy

SierraWhiskeyMC
09-19-2009, 12:15 AM
I've never had one go off on me, whether priming or de-priming. Always went slow and steady, never rushed things. I always wear safety glasses around the reloading bench. Wearing gloves and a heavy shop apron when de-priming is a good idea. If a primer should happen to light off, it could fly around with a good bit of force; enough to put a hole in skin.

Echo
09-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Well - I have done it, and will do it again when necessary - but I think it is a smart thing to put up some sort of baffle between you and the press so that if it does blow, no shrapnel will come toward your face. I have never had one blow when I was decapping...

MtGun44
09-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Done it, never had one blow if you are gentle and slow. Make sure you have
safety glasses or even better a face shield on, and earplugs in. A primer only
is REALLY loud in a basement. . . . . . nevermind how I know that.

WD-40 does NOT "kill" primers. It makes them TEMPORARILY inactive. When
they dry out in a few days they go off just fine. Another one where you shouldn't
ask how I am CERTAIN that this is true.

Bill

joel0407
09-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Oil will also quickly kill primmers. A sqirt of WD-40.

09-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Correct in it's very unlikely to have one go off by just going slow. I read a looong time ago in a reloading manual that the safest way is to wrap a towel or heavy cloth around the press and ease them out. Use safety glasses of course. I've never had one go off when decapping. I've had a couple go off when priming. Yes they make a pretty good bang!. When decapping live ones there will be a good chance if one goes off that the primer cup will fly out the bottom of the shell holder/ram and bounce around a bit. By wrapping the heavy cloth or towel around the press the flying cup will get trapped/stopped. Another idea for the faint at heart would be to put a couple of drops of Kroil into the case and let it soak the priming compound for a day or so then decap as described. Then the case will have to be cleaned to get the oil out. I know one demil technique uses a vat of acid to remove the priming compound for bulk numbers of cases .... it absolutely works but unknown type of acid and how it affects the brass.

Shiloh
09-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Just go slow. That way it can be reused.

Shiloh

Lead Fred
09-19-2009, 01:15 AM
I have decaps 100s of them over 40 years and have never had one go off.

Still wear glasses very time tho

Using the die inside the press, where everything is neatly tucked away.

shotman
09-19-2009, 02:55 AM
dont try it with the Lee hand loader They do go off. everytime

Jim
09-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Oil will also quickly kill primmers. A sqirt of WD-40.

Several years ago, one of the members of the original Shooters. com forum did some research on what it takes to make a primer inert. Primers were immersed in a variety of fluids, including WD-40. I don't remember how long it lasted, but I do remember that after, I think, a coupla weeks, the primers that were soaked in WD-40 still fired.

joel0407
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Seems I have been corrected.

canebreaker
09-19-2009, 08:16 AM
I posted this in another thread.
I got a deal on 1,000 9mm brass that were messed up during production, but were primed.
Another deal of 1,000 .38 spl. cowboy action ammo that was loaded without primers.
A day was spent on the back porch using my hammer style boolit puller with tape across the primer pocket. I moved the loading bench out there to decap the live primers. Take it slow and easy. I capped the .38 brass with the primers from the 9mm's with my Lee auto primer.
Expanded the necks and loaded them with hp-38, and seated the boolits. I didn't lose the first primer.
I've had 2 primers to go off in my auto primer. They were a cci sp and cci spm.

Vic@leadandbrass
09-19-2009, 09:53 AM
i put a small wad of paper in the casing (to eliminate any spatter in the barrel) and hand load it in the gun and fire it. about a year ago a had a 44 mag primer go off in my hands while trying to de-prime it. i did not like that one bit...

zomby woof
09-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Goslow

Le Loup Solitaire
09-19-2009, 02:32 PM
It is easily and usually safely done whenever necessary. As everyone so far has well advised. Safety is the name of the game and eyesight as well as body parts are too precious. Goggles,safety clothing are strongly advised. Go real slow and steady with the decap pressure. I also use the baffle recommendation which consists of a sheet of thick cardboard from the side of a packing box with a small peephole in it. Forget about the Lee Loader. It makes good ammo, but whoever thought that priming with it by hammering live primers in, was a good idea to start with...was under the alc-afluence of inc-ahol. Use a hand tool for seating the primers as its definitely a lot safer and you won't have to change underwear. LLS

454PB
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I throw a heavy bath towel over the press, but I've never had one go off.

lurch
09-19-2009, 03:52 PM
dont try it with the Lee hand loader They do go off. everytime

And sometimes when seating them.... :shock:

Never will forget the look on Dad's face the first time that happened, and him standing there with black fingers. Was just a kid then, and thought it was hilarious at the time. Dad wasn't too impressed...

Shooter6br
09-19-2009, 03:59 PM
In a word CAREFULLY.....I had a primer explode due to it getting stuck in my RCBS turret press. Still have the scar on my left hand below the thumb

WILCO
09-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Just go slow.

That's how I do it.........[smilie=f:

odoh
09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Recently sold a pistol and found myself w/ammo I couldn't use. The primer drought was still in full swing and a thread similar to this'un make me think desparate thots. So, I recovered over 400 primers decapped w/Lee universal decapper. I used to do onesies and twoies packing towles around the press but this time ~ just took leave of my senses. I just worked at it slowly ~ I do plan on reusing them in my plinkers tho.

semtav
09-19-2009, 09:04 PM
What about depriming one that got put in backwards [smilie=1:

odoh
09-20-2009, 01:42 AM
No different but could dislodge/displace the anvil ~ have done it before. Yeh, even side-ways. But least frequent. For those very rare odd-ball situations I have used penetrating oil to kill the primer. In actual practice, decapping can distort the cup to be convexed.