PDA

View Full Version : Best way get Alox off your hands?

ghh3rd
09-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Lee Alox is sure sticky stuff! After using it several times, I found that wiping as much off of my hands as possible with rag, and then rubbing in large amounts of hand lotion, followed by large amounts of hot soapy water gets the majority of it off. However, there is always some left on my hands to annoy me for quite a while.

Tonight I did something radical (I'm NOT endorsing this). I squirted about 1/4 teaspoon of Kroil onto my gummed up hands, rubbed it in good for about 15 seconds, rubbed everything off with a paper towel, and repeated one more time. My hands were Alox free! A short wash with some warm soapy water completed the process Please note that the Kroil can cautions against getting it on the skin though :-(

Besides my first method, and my second, radical and probably dangerous method, does anyone have a good, safe way to efficiently get Alox off of the hands?

Thanks,

Randy

StarMetal
09-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Lee Alox is sure sticky stuff! After using it several times, I found that wiping as much off of my hands as possible with rag, and then rubbing in large amounts of hand lotion, followed by large amounts of hot soapy water gets the majority of it off. However, there is always some left on my hands to annoy me for quite a while.

Tonight I did something radical (I'm NOT endorsing this). I squirted about 1/4 teaspoon of Kroil onto my gummed up hands, rubbed it in good for about 15 seconds, rubbed everything off with a paper towel, and repeated one more time. My hands were Alox free! A short wash with some warm soapy water completed the process Please note that the Kroil can cautions against getting it on the skin though :-(

Besides my first method, and my second, radical and probably dangerous method, does anyone have a good, safe way to efficiently get Alox off of the hands?

Thanks,

Randy

Try either mineral spirits or vasoline. Then wash thoroughly and use dish soap if you use vasoline to cut it's greasy feel.

Joe

Echo
09-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I'll bet Ed's Red would work well, followed by soap & water...

ilcop22
09-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Dawn dish soap followed by normal handsoap.

I use dawn for just about every annoying substance that sticks from workin' on the bench, the car or the yard. Good stuff. I even use it to get Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil off.

snaggdit
09-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I usually just wash my hands with soap, but I would bet lacquer thinner would cut it some, too. That's what I always reach for if soap doesn't do it.

geargnasher
09-19-2009, 02:47 AM
GoJo Creme hand cleaner. Safe and takes 20 seconds.

Gear

shotman
09-19-2009, 02:49 AM
Why do you get on there in first place? I have used it for years and never had it on my hands. I dont touch the wet boolits with hands and when you heat it and apply its not sticky when dry. Harbor freight sells a LONG set of twisers that work good the set the boolits up

cohutt
09-19-2009, 06:41 AM
i wipe with a rag damp with mineral spirits before coming inside and doing the dish washing soap or gojo scrub down.

To avoid it in the first place when I have to handle anything with this alien snot on it, i keep a box of blue nitrile gloves in my shop. I can still handle the boolits fine with these and they hold up to the alox fine.

armyrat1970
09-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Never seen a problem. They are a little tacky but not enough for me to ever worry about getting so much on my fingers. And when I do I am always handling other boolits. When I stop I clean with hot water and soap.

canebreaker
09-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I use Zep Cherry Bomb hand soap. We use it at work,. The dispenser doesn't empty the gallon bottle. I use a funnel in a 12 oz. water bottle, cut a corner off the gal. bottle and place it in the funnel. I have these small bottle everywhere. It cleans the hands so good that gf thinks I've been elsewhere instead of fishing or shooting.

Ohio Rusty
09-19-2009, 09:00 AM
For tough sticky things on my hands, I find lighter fluid removes gummy stuff. The naptha does a great job. Another liquid that removes gummy stuff is denatured alcohol.
Ohio Rusty ><>

putteral
09-19-2009, 09:03 AM
If I get any on my fingers I also find mineral spirits takes it right off. I use needle nose pliers as much as possible when handleing my boolits.

BCB
09-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Like cohutt, I wear rubber gloves my wife gets from the hospital where she works...
No clean-up necessary...BCB

Obmi
09-19-2009, 09:24 AM
no one here thought to use rubber gloves?

mooman76
09-19-2009, 09:50 AM
I use the latex rubber gloves and that works fine for me. Lot easier to never get the stuff on my hands than it is to get off using chemicals.

kelbro
09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
GoJo or FastOrange work very well.

Ricochet
09-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Fast Orange, then soap & water.

bigboredad
09-19-2009, 11:18 AM
+1 on the gojo or fast orange

montana_charlie
09-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Like cohutt, I wear rubber gloves my wife gets from the hospital where she works...
Is she able to buy them at a discount because she works there?
CM

ilcop22
09-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't bother with the gloves as its just another added expense. No point, really. Just wash up afterwords and you're good to go.

HiVelocity
09-19-2009, 06:46 PM
An old mechanic's trick to get clean smooth dirt and grime free hands is to take about a table spoonful or two of vegetable oil and massage into your hands real well for about 3-4 minutes. Then simply wash your hands with Lava hand soap.

The veggie oil will make your hands smooth and dirt/grime free.

Just food for thought!

HV

StarMetal
09-19-2009, 06:49 PM
An old mechanic's trick to get clean smooth dirt and grime free hands is to take about a table spoonful or two of vegetable oil and massage into your hands real well for about 3-4 minutes. Then simply wash your hands with Lava hand soap.

The veggie oil will make your hands smooth and dirt/grime free.

Just food for thought!

HV

I do believe the old mechanics trick was to use motor oil to do that and it does work. Don't forget that was done in the days before they put the cancer labels on oil cans.

Joe

Gohon
09-19-2009, 07:26 PM
WD-40..........just spray some in your hands, rub well and wipe off with a rag. Works great for removing gummy labels, paint, crayon marks and felt tip pin writings from plastic ammo boxes. Learned to use it in the navy to clean grease pen markings from plot boards. I've even heard people claim it works as a rust preventive and lubricant.

armyrat1970
09-22-2009, 05:16 AM
WD-40..........just spray some in your hands, rub well and wipe off with a rag. Works great for removing gummy labels, paint, crayon marks and felt tip pin writings from plastic ammo boxes. Learned to use it in the navy to clean grease pen markings from plot boards. I've even heard people claim it works as a rust preventive and lubricant.

It does for me. I use it as a light lube on all of my guns if just setting them up for awhile. If I set them up for longer storage I will use something like Rem Oil as the WD-40 is a little light. I use a WD-40 soaked rag and place it inside my casting furnace when not in use. It will burn off the next time I cast. Not the rag but the WD-40.:mrgreen: All I use to clean and lube my bike chain is WD-40. Works great.

A good way to clean your hands from grease, grim and oils is Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water. Learned that years ago when doing body and fender work with my father-in-law.

dromia
09-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Swarfega.