PDA

View Full Version : Don't make the same mistake I did!

mugsie
09-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I tried to save a couple of dollars. One of the guys at my range told me Privi Partizan brass for .308 was on sale at xxx so I went out and purchased a bag of 100 pcs. I was double stupid in purchasing 100 of their 165g SP bullets as well.

Tonight I tried loading them - what a disaster. Primers would not seat fully - pockets varied up to .003 in depth. The pockets all had to be reamed out and cleaned of burrs too. Concentricity was also out by .002 to .003 as was the diameter. Case mouths all, every one, had to be deburred on the outside (they looked like someone cut them with a hack saw) as well as chamfered on the inside. Burrs, burrs, burrs. Case length also varied by a few thusants as well. I can't wait to see how the bullets fly - I'm sure they are crap too. On top of all this I feel doubly guilty because I dodn't buy American - first time I ever did it. I'll guarantee it'll be the last.

Stay away from Privi - it's worthless.

It's not head stamped PPU for nothing!
Moderators - if this doesn't belong here, move it to where it needs to be.

jonk
09-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I've found that the brass was ok but nothing great. The bullets, well... in about half the guns I tried them in they worked as well as other cheap bullets (relatively speaking)- remingtons, etc. In the other half, notably worse.

For cheap shooting it is good stuff but I wouldn't use any in a match.

Maven
09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
You must have purchased brass from a defective lot as I've never experienced any of the problems you mentioned in the 7.62 x 54R, 7.5 x 55mm, & 7.65 x 53mm brass (Privi Partizan) that I have. No problems with the 7.62 x 54R FMJ bullets either.

PA Shootist
09-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I'd have to say I have had no problems with PRVI Partisan ammo which I purchased loaded for 7.62x54R Russian and 7.5x55 Swiss, and I have reloaded the fired cases with no problems either regarding primer seating depth, burrs, or concentricity. I did trim before first reload, and chamfer inside and out, but I have to do the same with US brands too, all about the same as far as variation, roughness, concentricity, etc. I'm sorry you got some bad stuff!

MtGun44
09-19-2009, 12:31 AM
I think you got some rejected brass that slipped out the back door. I load PRVI brass
in multiple calibers and make match loads for my 7.5 Swiss K31. All of my brass has been
good to very good quality, long life, works great.

Bill

Gerry N.
09-19-2009, 03:36 AM
I've got 500 pcs of Prvi brass made for Hansen in the long ago in 6.5x55mm. I've had nothing but good results with it. Long lasting and easy to load. Good stuff.

Gerry N.

Bret4207
09-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm with the others, my Privi brass seems to be just as good as any other brass I've used. 7.5 Swiss, 6.5x55, 8x56R, 8x57, 30-06, 7.65 Argie... probably forget a few. OTH I can show you lousy Remchester brass that's as American made as it gets. Luck of the draw I guess.

09-19-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm with the rest of these guys. I think you got some reject stuff. How frustrating! I've used Privi several times and found it as good as others. Normal first time prep was required, but I've never had primer pocket issues. Sorry to hear you wasted your time with it.

Jim
09-19-2009, 08:03 AM
..... The pockets all had to be reamed out and cleaned of burrs too. ..... Case mouths all, every one, had to be deburred on the outside ..... as well as chamfered on the inside. .....
This is something I do on ALL brass, new or used, bought, given or found. I have to agree with the other guys, something's wrong. I've used "Privy" brass and FLGCs for years and never had a problem. One of the guys at a prominent gun club in SC uses PRVI brass for High Power Match competition and he wins regularly. He's the one that turned me on to the brand.

Ricochet
09-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Prvi brass in 7.62x54R and 7.55 Swiss has been giving me excellent service. No complaints from me.

dromia
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
I've got agree, I use a lot of PP brass and find it good kit no problems with it at all.

Sound like you got some sweepings.

walltube
09-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Mugsie,

I can understand your disapointment with the Privi brass, but that can happen with any maker's offering. Even Norma in my experience, just once. Know of no negative report with Lapua.

It is a fact of life that no matter how stringent a manufacturer's quality control program is (or claims to be), do not take anything for granted. If you were to measure brand new, unfired brass of almost any maker with an L.E. Wilson case gauge you may find just how 'out of spec' their product can be.

If it is any help to you, perhaps you should adopt the practice, with all new brass, to routinely 'square' case mouths, and ream primer pockets for depth with your favorite, quality brand case prep tools before loading any new cases. It pays dividends at the target if we do our part at the trigger.

Chill out, relax and enjoy crafting your own ammo. We've all had our 'bad hair' days one time or another with crappy components. Ain't we, Fellers?..:)

Jim
09-22-2009, 04:00 AM
..... We've all had our 'bad hair' days one time or another with crappy components. Ain't we, Fellers?..:)

I have no clue how many times I've gotten up from the bench thinking "OK, I have enough"[smilie=b: from the frustration of arguing with inanimate objects and pulled the top off a cold one, shut the lights off and went out on the front porch to chill.
It ain't my fault. It ain't NEVER my fault! It's that stupid brass and them bullets and the primers and that powder and the bench and them dies and.........

walltube
09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
"I have no clue how many times I've gotten up from the bench thinking "OK, I have enough" from the frustration of arguing with inanimate objects and pulled the top off a cold one, shut the lights off and went out on the front porch to chill."

You have confronted the beast and brought it to kneel with a 'cold one'. It works for me too, Jim.. :)

Lazy Magnolia, "Red Ale" has been my weapon of choice lately...:drinks:

Yours to The Last Primer,
Wt.

mtnman31
09-23-2009, 04:16 PM
I feel fortunate, of all my reloading trials and tribulations I have only ever had one batch of bad brass. It was R-P .357 Max brass and was so brittle that I lost about 30% of them just on the initial sizing. Still have them and plan on someday annealing them. I bought them to use as shotshells and not for full power magnum loads.

I have not personally used any PRVI brass, but I have found their bullets to be as good as any other maker's bulk quality bullets.

KCSO
09-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I wish it was JUST Privi but I got a bag of WINCHESTER 44 mags the other day and out of 100 cases 20 had primer pockets so loose that a CCI pistol primer would fall out on the bench!!! I think this is a case of the hurrier we go the behinder we get. I have Privi from 3 years ago and they show NONE of those defects and other than being a tad hard, I anneal them for liight loads, they have always been good as any. Recently I got a carton of Remington 22's for $22.50 a carton and so far 1 out of 50 is a mis fire.

Newtire
11-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I haven't had great luck with longevity in 7.62 X 54 Privi-Partisan. Seemed too brittle with lots of split necks. I think they make it for Winchester in that caliber also. Like you say though, luck of the draw maybe? Always had great luck with Federal brass until the .32 mag stuff they made splitting cases-not just me on this one either. Other than that, no complaints here. S & B seems to have trouble fitting into my shellholders and with too shallow of primer pockets in their rifle stuff.

hylander
11-05-2012, 01:09 AM
I bought several boxes of Privi ammo for my 8X57, very accurate :-)
Only thing I have noticed when reloading it is the primer pockets are a little deep, but not to deep. I'll buy more.
Winchester on the other hand always has shallow primer pockets, primer pocket reame3r cures that.

Hardcast416taylor
11-05-2012, 01:46 AM
I have been using Privi brass for some time now in 7.62x54R and in 7.65 Argie Mauser. I have not had the horror stories that some of you relate about the brass. As a first step with any makers brass I trim to size and de-burr the primer flash hole on the inside. Have never had a primer pocket size problem, I`ve heard CCI primers tend to run large in size. To prove how good this brass is this is what I neck UP from 7.62 to .416 caliber for my .416 Russian Express, haven`t split a neck yet in 200 cases formed nor lost a case to any other failings. Just because you got a bad batch of brass isn`t a reason to condemn the entire company`s line of brass as what you got could have come from any of the brass companies in todays market.Robert

craig61a
11-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Got a lot of privi brass - haven't had any problems.

cosmoline
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I have used Privi brass for 7.35 Carcano 6.5 Carcano and Japanese and Swedish,303 British and others.......Never had any problems,,You must have gotten a batch made after the slaves were fed a bad batch of gruel.....JUST KIDDING !! about the gruel.I am sure they get descent mush.:bigsmyl2:

Bullet Caster
11-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I've never had any problems with PPU brass either. I've gotten a few for 7.62x39 and all is well. BC

1Shirt
11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Good luck with a couple of cals, bad luck with hornet. The bullets I tried suck!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Gtek
11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I have received Winchester that 38 of 50 was short and junk. Hang in there, vote on bad batch. You are familiar with the ten rule. One or two cherries, six or seven ok's, and a turd or two in every batch! Welcome aboard. Gtek

Stoats
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I actually had BETTER accuracy results with Prvi .223 from a Rem 700 Police than with expensive RWS brass I paid an arm and a leg for.

Both were neck-sized only, weighed charges, same COL, same Sierra MK's.

Even got some 55gn Boolits running 2400fps out of that rifle, equalling factory FMJ accuracy at 100m.

koehlerrk
11-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I use nothing but PRVI brass in my K31... zero issues, ever.

I have a bunch of it for my 22-250, 22 Hornet, and 8mm Mauser, and it's always been excellent.

Ed in North Texas
11-06-2012, 09:14 AM
The only problem I've had with Prvi brass was 3 6.5x50 Japanese cases out of 200 which would not fit a Lee shell holder. A few swipes with a needle file on the inside of the rim took care of the problem. Otherwise, no problems with other calibers. As others have suggested, I do case prep on new cases, to include cleaning up the primer hole with an inside reamer. I spot check the primer pockets and clean the batch up if needed. I'll buy more Prvi brass.

Ed

thegatman
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Sorry about the bad brass. I have shot the Privi in an AK and had no problems. Never used it in .308 though.

Donor8x56r
11-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I use PPU in number of calibers and so far it seems to work better in my rifles than Win or Rem brands.
All lots I have have very good dimensions and perfectly centered flash holes (I do have to use flash hole uniformer just because i have it :) )

oh,I do remember folks complaining about lots of 6.5 Swedish brass with bad primer pockets and very off centre flash holes but that was few years back.

dnepr
11-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Good luck with a couple of cals, bad luck with hornet. The bullets I tried suck!
1Shirt!:coffeecom
That is the same as my experience with privi great stuff other than the hornet ammo not terrible accurate stuff . Not a big deal just bought it to get a baseline to work from for my hand loads and a couple 12 year old boys had a great time blasting off what was left

3006guns
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
All of the Privi brass I've used were in the old standard military calibers, 7x57,8x57, 7.7 & 6.5 Jap, 7.65 Arg. etc. etc.......NONE of the cases displayed any of the faults you listed. All of it was decent quality and with an anneal is lasting beautifully.

So, I have a suggestion. Bag up the brass along with your frustration and print a copy of these postings and send it back to the distributor along with a "What's up with this?" note......and ask for replacements. You shouldn't have to put up with poor quality, period.

Boyscout
11-13-2012, 01:31 PM
I have had good luck with Priv-Partisan 7.62x54R too. Both fired Priv ammo and new cases. I just loaded up some new Remington in .35 Remington and had trouble feeding them in a Game Master 740 and a T/C. They were very hard to chamber with both cast and jacketed bullets. I will be trimming, resising and checking all of that brass before loading my next batch. As for the Priv, I will buy again.

swheeler
11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I use 8x56r, 7.62x54r,7.65x54,6.5x52,7.7x58 and 7.5x55(probably a few I forgot) and have had no problems, actually quite the opposite, good stuff Maynard.

williamwaco
11-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I have never purchased any of their components but I have shot quite a bit of their pistol ammo and found it to be excellent.

I reloaded the cases with no problems.

I wonder if you just got struck by a bit of bad luck?

303Guy
11-16-2012, 12:32 AM
PRVI brass in 303 Brit seems pretty good too. I use PRVI bullets in my Brit too and get rather good results (forgive me for I have sinned!)

I did by a bag of R-P Hornet cases and found half of them to have shallow primer pockets. The first bag was perfect.

johnnybar
11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Blems as others mentioned. Should have gone back to the smelter...and still can!

Danderdude
12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
I exclusively use Prvi when I buy new brass with nary an issue across 4 calibers. Not only is it cheaper than domestic but lasts just as long, if not longer.

Reverend Recoil
12-08-2012, 05:45 PM
My luck so far with PRVI Partisan products has been good.
9.3mm 286gr bullets
7.5x54 French MAS 36 cases
5.56 NATO 75gr match ammo and cases

Flinchrock
12-09-2012, 08:01 AM
It has been very good, solid, and consistant brass for me in 7.62x51.

I uniform the primer pockets because I use it in an M1A,,but other than that, just normal case prep, size, trim, chamfer and deburr.

It's pretty tough brass, as far as long lasting goes.

blackbike
12-10-2012, 01:30 AM
If it were me I would call XXX and demand refund or more brass.
Midway sent me 284 win. brass the worst I have ever seen, had wrinkles in the sholder (looked like lube dents) that split ever time, but they made it good with a call.
bb

I'll Make Mine
12-10-2012, 08:07 AM
One might note that the original post on this thread was three years ago... :veryconfu

MtGun44
12-10-2012, 03:10 PM
And still doesn't match the overshelming good results everyone else has with PRVI brass. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

bkbville
12-10-2012, 07:39 PM
First - I'm darn glad they exist because I could not afford to feed the odd calibers if PPU didn't exist ( a few years ago Graf's branded PPU as their brass.)

I use Priv in 7mm Mauser, 6.5x52, 8mm Lebel, 7.5x55, come to mind and range pick-ups for .223.

I haven't had any problems (including their projectiles and loaded ammo.)

You know, if "NATO" hadn't leveled the Serbian mutions industry all this would still be Berdan, but instead, it's Boxer. (I guess there is a silver lining even in stupidity.)