PDA

View Full Version : mold handles

09-18-2009, 10:23 AM
for those that have bought kal tool & die mold handles i have a question. if you bought lyman and 6 cav lee, were the wood part the handles the same distance from the hinge bolt? there picture showes that way but i just bought 2 ea. and my lyman look like the picture . the wood is about 1/2" from the hinge bolt on the lyman and the lee 6cav. ones are about 1 1/2" from the hinge bolt. any thoughts? yes i am asking they also but thought i would see what others looks like. thanks

Red River Rick
09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
686:

Like I mentioned in our e-mails.

There was a change in design, after the picture was taken and posted on my website. That's why the "Tang" portion of the "6X" style handles is longer than what's shown in the brochure.

FYI, the purpose was to allow for more clearance, allowing more room for the casters hand to fit without interferring with the sprue cutter handle.

Did you mount the handles onto your mould and try them? Did they fail to fit the mould or cause any problems during casting? Did the handles damage or ruin your mould?

Is there any other faults or concerns that you have? Because if you do, perhaps returning the handles (prepaid shipping) would be best. And I'll gladly refund you your full purchase price less shipping costs

My apologies.

Rick Kalynuik
KAL Tool & Die

Echo
09-19-2009, 01:30 AM
686, are we being concerned about the length of the wooden handles? Is there something about handle length that we should be interested in? I don't understand...

09-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Echo i do not know. i just bought my first handles from kal and the lee are different from his picture. i was not sure if it was a mistake or not. it seams that it is that way for easer-better use. if you have a set of his mold handles you will see from the end of the wood handles-silver band, to the nut , it is anout 1/2 ". my lyman handles from kal are that way. the lee handles from kal are about 1 1/2 ". i have not used them yet. with the wood handles being father from the mold it puts the spur handle a little away from your hand holding the mold. it also makes the mold heaver by being father from your hand. it makes me want to choke up on the handles a little. may be some one that has lee handles from kal this way can let me know how better they are than the orginal desine. i am not unhappy with them, just wondering how much better they are. they are very nice looking mold handles and are worth the money.