PDA

View Full Version : buff hunt story

Bullshop
04-16-2006, 12:07 PM
A most joyous Easter to all!
I made some boolits for this fellow last year for a buff hunt. He used a 45/110 with a 490gn NEI DD in 30/1 and dropped the buff in his tracks with one sholder hit. He and his guide were impressed. Yesterday I got this e-mail from him and thought many here would enjoy reading it.

Dan,
how are you?
got back from the Bison hunt,never thought it would be the way that it was!
the ranch was 65,000 acres,they released a bull on one portion about 2 miles square,there were buttes,gulley's,plains e,t.c
the closest we ever came to the bull was maybe 500 yards for about 30 seconds & this was over two days of tracking with many miles of walking in the mud,crossing rushing creeks & sliding down muddy buttes on my butt! ha ha ha!
well the manager got real mad at this point,he got on a ATV & went up on the high plateau,two hours later we heard him on the two way,he herded the bull down a trail which was like slippery ice the day before,
I climbed up a muddy butte & waited for the bull to show up,man I felt like Clint Eastwood waiting to ambush some bad dude,ha ha ha,
the bull trots around a bend & I locked upon it,80 yrds & I let her fly.first shot in the neck & it knocked it down,to be merciful I put another one in about the same spot,at this point I lose my footing & do the butt slide again off the butte,the mud was just incredible,well the bull that was dead suddenly comes back to life & takes off down the gully,I recover & all hell breaks loose ha ha ha,
the guy up on the high plateau starts shouting in the two way,he could see where the bull was headed,me & the guide chase & maneuver our way into another gully,I am wearing gloves now on account my hands are so muddy I could not handle the gun,another gully & I am so out of breath that I am chugging like a locomotive!
the bull sails past at maybe 10 ft,the guide screaming in my ear to shoot,I do twice,not a flinch out of the animal,we start running after it & I am thinking what if he figures out the brownie behind him is causing him all that hurt,how far would I get?
another 100 yrds he stops & his legs buckle,he falls down,I crept around & put one in his forehead & he finally quit looking at me with that mad gleam in his eye!
it was over,it was the closest I have been ever been to a half decent chase & hunt,my only regret,I did not get to use the Sharps,carried it for two days in the field but in the end climbing up on the mud I ended up using the Steyr scout in 376 steyr,I did not get to try out your bullets on the bull,even though there were decent sized holes in the bull from the steyr,I think the sharps would have been more effective,I had the 538 loaded upto 1900fps & tested at 100yrds with excellent accuracy!
Bal
Happy Easter BIC/BS

PatMarlin
04-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Nice story Daniel... He Has RISEN!!

After that I think I'm gonna put on a Clint Eastwood movie, and pop some corn.. :mrgreen:

It's been snowing for the past 2 days.. :roll:

MT Gianni
04-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Thank's for passing that on Dan, a great read. Gianni.

Bucks Owin
04-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Most entertaining! :-D

Dennis
who's popping some corn and rewinding "Jeremiah Johnson" for tonight's movie....[smilie=1: