PDA

View Full Version : Boolit storage?

machinisttx
09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I just cast my first boolits a couple of days ago and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to store future boolits. Right now I'm using some old bullet boxes, but that won't work for the quantities I need to keep my Dillon 650 fed when I start loading them since I only have a few small ones.

What do you guys use?

quietmike
09-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Empty coffee cans

machinisttx
09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
They don't get dinged up? I'd have to find some coffee cans...none here since I don't drink coffee.;-)

Gunfixer
09-17-2009, 02:55 PM
As long as your not moving them around a lot, almost anything works. I use coffee cans, heavy cardboard boxes, ammo cans, Garage sale tupperware, christmas cookie and fruitcake(yuk) tins. Pretty much whatever is handy. You can go to a restaurant and aks for empty cans, no lids but for free. #10 = 3lb coffee can

Shottist
09-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I use the military 30 caliber ammo cans. A can full is about all that I can lift. Never had a problem with dinging the bullets; I use wheelweights with added 2% tin. Also, the ammo cans keep the bullets from oxidizing (corroding) and they stay shiny for years.

FISH4BUGS
09-17-2009, 04:38 PM
I live in a 47 unit condo building and watch the trash room closely for recycling. I have scrounged 2 LARGE cardboard boxes full of coffee cans (plastic or metal) with lids and store all my cast in those. They keep for some time.
Also those large kittly litter boxes with lids make great brass storage containers.

largecaliberman
09-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I keep mine in ammo cans: Air and moisture tight. Also, I can stack them around 4-5 high comfortably. I have between 3-5 cans for each calibers. Before closing the lid, I would leave the can open out in the sun for several hours to reduce the amount of moisture on the boolits then before closing it shut, I would throw in to VCI chips to absorb O2.

If you plan to store your boolits for a long while, moisture and oxygen will somewhat discolor the boolits over a period of time. I once bought an ammo can full with 38's at a garage sale back in the 1970's and at that time, the woman that sold it to me told me that the grandfather used to cast boolits when she was a child (the woman at that time was in her 40's --- in the 1970's) Well from the 1970's and who knows how long she had it sitting in her garage to 2007 when I opened it, the boolits were just as shiney as the day they were made. On the bottom of the can was this paper like the ones machinests would use to wrap their finished products. A mechanic friend of mine told me that it was VCI paper used to ward off oxygen and keep iron from rusting. Midway USA and Brownells sells these as CVI chips.

mooman76
09-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I got tired of all the different containes and it makes them hard to stack. I got some of those disposable plastic containers that are microwaveable. They are fairly cheap and strong and stack good. They come in a assortment of sizes for your needs. I still use some other containers like coffee cans too.

machinisttx
09-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I need more ammo cans anyway for brass/ammo storage so I guess I'll buy extras. Thanks!

canyon-ghost
09-17-2009, 08:05 PM
If you need small ones, there's salsa jars, small cottage cheese containers and potato salad containers, if you snack from the convenience store. lol.:coffeecom

09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
One-hundred boolits per plasic bag, inside steel 3-pound coffee cans, printed label with pertinent info, i.e. mould manufacturer and number, weight, nose and base configuration, etc.

Charlie Sometimes
09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Empty peanut butter jars- clear, plastic, and easily stackable is another possibility.
The new oblonged mayo "jars" are good too.
I like to keep my containers small for convenience sake- they can get too heavy you know.

kbstenberg
09-17-2009, 09:17 PM
For anyone that lives close enough to me in northern Minn. I can get large sheets of heavy cardboard suitable for making bullet boxes. The sheets are about 3.5ft square, an about twice as thick as the cover on a spiral notebook. I can get 6-boxes 6"long+4"wide+2"high out of one sheet. I could also give you the pattern i use.
I don't know of any way to mail them so you would have to pick them up at my place. If interested PM me

GP100man
09-17-2009, 09:21 PM
4" layer then a cardboard seperator until full in 5 gal buckets .

stored real close!!!LOL

machinisttx
09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
For anyone that lives close enough to me in northern Minn. I can get large sheets of heavy cardboard suitable for making bullet boxes. The sheets are about 3.5ft square, an about twice as thick as the cover on a spiral notebook. I can get 6-boxes 6"long+4"wide+2"high out of one sheet. I could also give you the pattern i use.
I don't know of any way to mail them so you would have to pick them up at my place. If interested PM me

Sheets that size would make excellent targets for patterning a shotgun, wish I was closer.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I cull my rifle boolits pretty severely, and by time I have them sized and lubed I want to store them properly. Buy the Dillon or Berry 100 round pistol ammo plastic boxes with the hinged lids to match boolit size/length. They stack great, don't weigh too much to handle with one hand if need be; and they are easy to label and stack on shelves. I store my unlubed ones in the plastic coffee cans like a lot of you.

Rich

ilcop22
09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I like to shop the dollar store for my boolit storage needs.
Pick up some gladware/plastic ware and you're good to go. Seals, stacks - Perfect!

Shiloh
09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Heavy plastic storage containers. Also use industrial soap containers,heavy plastic with lids.

Shiloh

Wayne Smith
09-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm still looking for something with a truly flat bottom so I can stack boolits. Old cigar boxes are a thing of the past, I'm afraid. Or at least for me, I quit 36 years ago.