PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Factory Repair

Gene Perryman
09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I bought a Ruger Vaquero about a year ago and after examining and shooting it I found that the barrel had been over-tightened, the front sight was canted to the left and there was a timing issue.

A month ago I sent it in to Ruger for repair and yesterday I got it back.

Absolutely NOTHING had been repaired ......The Repair sheet with the gun indicated that the barrel and ejector housing had been repaired. The timing issue was not addressed or repaired.

The lady at Ruger said send it back. Why should I, they didn't do anything to it the first time.

Does anyone have the name and # of someone in Management I can call to address this ??

Thanks,

Gene

mtgrs737
09-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Just send it back, give them the benifit of the doubt and let them correct their mistake. They should be reimbursing you for the shipping costs, if not then ask for a UPS prepaid label. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experiance but all companies will drop the ball from time to time. I have had very good service from Ruger in the past.

jh45gun
09-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Ruger strikes again. Not the first time I have heard of this sort of thing. Like I said I would never buy an other Ruger. Old Used one Maybe if I could shoot it first.

waksupi
09-17-2009, 01:49 PM
If you have a problem with any US company, head for your local library. They should have all the volumes of the Thomas Catalog.
Not only do they list every company in the country, but also have direct contact information to the president, CEO, and usually the production manager. I have found that most company presidents are rather taken aback, when they receive a call from someone they don't know, complaining about their product. They seldom ever hear of a problem, as the minions do their darndest to see that crap never rolls uphill. When you get the ear at the top, things generally happen fast.
Be prepared when they ask you how you got their number. Don't tell them! Most don't realize this information is in the catalog, and it helps keep them on their toes!

jh45gun
09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
If you have a problem with any US company, head for your local library. They should have all the volumes of the Thomas Catalog.
Not only do they list every company in the country, but also have direct contact information to the president, CEO, and usually the production manager. I have found that most company presidents are rather taken aback, when they receive a call from someone they don't know, complaining about their product. They seldom ever hear of a problem, as the minions do their darndest to see that crap never rolls uphill. When you get the ear at the top, things generally happen fast.
Be prepared when they ask you how you got their number. Don't tell them! Most don't realize this information is in the catalog, and it helps keep them on their toes!

On the other Hand you buy a Henry the president is the Complaint Dept. You have an issue you deal with him directly. Henry has one of the best Customer Service Depts in the business because of that fact. A great company with a nice president with great products.

targetshootr
09-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Ruger did repair work on two of my 50 year old guns and didn't charge me a dime for parts, labor, bluing, shipping, or anything. Another single-action maker, who charges $2000 for one of their guns, charges me for everything they do to one of their guns including shipping.

jh45gun
09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Ruger did repair work on two of my 50 year old guns and didn't charge me a dime for parts, labor, bluing, shipping, or anything. Another single-action maker, who charges $2000 for one of their guns, charges me for everything they do to one of their guns including shipping.So why did they need repair? Just worn out or had issues?

I would never pay 2000 for a gun even if I had it.

crazy mark
09-17-2009, 11:51 PM
I will say this about Ruger: I wanted to send in an old Black Hawk that needed the transfer bar safety installed. It is my gun and I wanted that conversion. Took 2 phone calls and one letter to get me a box to ship it back. I got it back with-in the 6 week period with the parts they replaced. Nothing else was done to the gun. They didn't touch up the bluing or anything else. The final thing was when I called and asked to speak to a supervisor he said wait a minute. He got back on the phone and said yep you are right we do have a letter from you. A box will be sent in the morning. I got it in 2 days. Will I buy a new Ruger ? probably not. Will I send one back to the factory ? Probably not either. They are going to have to clean up their act. Mark

Potsy
09-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I have 4 Rugers and like them all. I've owned a few others and never had a problem.
I also know that if your product and customer service goes to crap, and you are in a nich market and not on the economy end of it, people will quit buying from you.
I know. The company I work for now had those problems under previous management. We are still recovering from it 5 years later. Things are much better now, but a good reputation is much harder to earn than to lose. And a whole lot harder to get back.
I am a Ruger fan. I think any company that makes anything is capable of turning out the occasional dud. But there's way too many gun companies out there for them to get complacent.

jh45gun
09-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Problem is Potsy I think it is more than the occasional DUD there are too many folks on the net complaining and I have read too many magazine articles about sending them in to get fixed up to be shooters. Think of this before the internet if you had a problem you may have thought it was just you that got a bad gun. With the Internet its like one big old fashioned party line every one knows about it and you about theirs.

bobke
09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
biggest problem i see is that in all of the various rants on all of the websites that have very long threads complaining about ruger's quality control, from the production floor to the service department, have i ever seen one response from anyone at ruger regarding this broad issue. never once. do they ever read these threads or just ignore the 'voice of the customer'? what do you think?

cajun shooter
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
If you never post a answer then you can say that you were never aware that a problem exist. That's why I like Dillon so much. They come on this forum and answer complaints. I love my USFA 45 Colt revolvers. But the customer service stinks to high heaven. I tried talking to someone other than the lady who answers the phone and was told I'll have Doug (the owner) call you. That was a year ago,still no call. I've sent several e-mails to no avail. You take it like they give it or that's it.

targetshootr
09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Problem is Potsy I think it is more than the occasional DUD there are too many folks on the net complaining and I have read too many magazine articles about sending them in to get fixed up to be shooters. Think of this before the internet if you had a problem you may have thought it was just you that got a bad gun. With the Internet its like one big old fashioned party line every one knows about it and you about theirs.

Every gun made will have issues. To say Ruger is worse than other gun makers is bullsh*t. Several years ago S&W had barrels coming off some of their handguns. Even $2000 guns have springs that break. The difference with Ruger is they don't nickel and dime you to death, they fix their guns at no cost no matter who owns it or how old it is.

Slogg76
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Perhaps Ruger is dealing with to much volume right now. I had great customer service from them some time ago (perhaps 5+ years ago). It is only recently that I have heard complaints from fellow friends and shooters about their customer service.

odis
09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I have a question, I have read on some posts about Ruger not returning .357 Max. guns sent to them for service. Is this just speculation or does someone here have proof of this? If it's true what do they replace it with?

Potsy
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
The only dealings I've had with Ruger customer service is when I ordered a front sight insert for a #1. Didn't even have to wait on the phone too long. I've never had to send anything in for repair but that could change tomorrow.
Alot of the problem is bean counters run most companies. They do not see the sales made by good customer service. Only money spent.
I bought a Galco holster off Rugers website. I tension screw fell out. I called, I got 2 tension screw assemblies, no charge, in about 3 days. When I needed a holster for my Kimber, I bought an $80 Galco because of a bucks worth of parts and postage.
I'd say there are very few companies that look around for complaints. Why spend the time and money begging trouble?
Not knocking Ruger, Smith, or anybody out there in particular. It just seems to be a more and more prevalent attitude in any industry.

jh45gun
09-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Every gun made will have issues. To say Ruger is worse than other gun makers is bullsh*t.

Well I don't know about that? I got a Winchester Model 94 that was made in 64 no issues Same with a Winchester Model 97 that was made in the 20's Mechanically No issues and is as tight as the day it was made and that action is more complicated than any Ruger. only issue was a cracked stock and that can be common with older guns. No issues with a Remington 870. I Got a Swiss K31 that is probably more complicated than most guns built like a Swiss watch again no issue. I have never had a problem with any Marlin, Winchester,Military Mauser,Smith&Wesson, TC, I have ever owned but I have had issues with Ruger so I can only go on my expiriences.I do how ever see more complaints about Ruger than any other gun manufactuer on the net. I doubt folks want a "Pick on Ruger Club" but are only venting their frustrations on a poorly made product that excapes Rugers Quality Control. It is not like I have never given Rugers a chance I have owned one M77. Five 10/22's at one time or an other. One MK I and Two MK IIs Two 44 Mag Blackhawks and Two Single Sixes.Out of that group the last Single Six and the last Ruger Blackhawk shot terrible both I bought used but looked like new almost. No wonder they were on the used shelf. Some one bought them, shot them and traded them back in instead of sending them in to get fixed. The MK 1 shot bad which really supprised me as they normally shoot great I had several folks (pistol shooters) shoot that gun to make sure it was not me and they could not hit with it either. I have had out of the 5 two 10/22s that their accuracy was not that great no matter what ammo I tried in it. No wonder companies have made a cottage industry making after market parts to accurize these guns. So I do not bash Ruger lightly while I have had some good guns I have had some clunkers too. Now this is from a guy who all my life never had a lot of money so anything I buy I really expect to work the first time around. I have gave Ruger enough chances now I figure there are other brand guns that do not present the hassle.

bisleyfan41
09-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Ruger is in the gunmaking business, not the "answer-all-the-whiners-on-the-forums" business. They probably have a pretty full plate PRODUCING GUNS and if they had to take time to respond to all the whiners out there on every forum, they'd never get a gun built. And if they hired someone to do it, they'd have to pay them which would cause their prices to increase which would lead to even more whining. And they ain't gonna re-blue your gun for free when it's sent in for other work. They shouldn't be expected to and you shouldn't expect it of them. That would only increase their costs, your prices, and the whining even more.

"Ruger whiners" seem to be everywhere. But in reality they are just a vocal minority. A very few customers have a legitimate complaint, but most are turd suckers who go through life looking for something to complain about. Nothing makes them happy, nothing ever will, and they are never content no matter what. Either that or they expect something for nothing.

If the quality of guns coming from Ruger is not up to your standards STOP BUYING RUGERS!!. Simple as that. We live in a capitalist country where there is competition amongst providers of goods and services. If you don't like it, buy something else. They will get the message if people stop buying their product. This is especially true of idiots who say they've just bought their 53rd Ruger and they've all had to go back to have this or that fixed. HELLO. Who's the idiot here, Ruger or the whiner??? Inspect the gun before you buy it. If you find it to have issues and buy it anyway, IT'S YOUR FAULT, not Ruger's.

According to the whiners, it seems like Ruger is just sitting there happily cranking out lemons to the shooting world. If their product was that bad, they'd be out of business by now. If you want or expect Freedom Arms quality from Ruger at Ruger's price point, wake up. For the most part Ruger produces a sound, quality product that will outlast everyone on this board and some of your grandchildren. And they do it at an affordable price. You ain't gonna get perfect fit and finish, "glass rod" triggers, butter-smooth actions, honed throats, hand-lapped bores, perfect timing, etc. for $500. Ain't gonna happen. Deal with it.

44man
09-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Ruger is in the gunmaking business, not the "answer-all-the-whiners-on-the-forums" business. They probably have a pretty full plate PRODUCING GUNS and if they had to take time to respond to all the whiners out there on every forum, they'd never get a gun built. And if they hired someone to do it, they'd have to pay them which would cause their prices to increase which would lead to even more whining. And they ain't gonna re-blue your gun for free when it's sent in for other work. They shouldn't be expected to and you shouldn't expect it of them. That would only increase their costs, your prices, and the whining even more.

"Ruger whiners" seem to be everywhere. But in reality they are just a vocal minority. A very few customers have a legitimate complaint, but most are turd suckers who go through life looking for something to complain about. Nothing makes them happy, nothing ever will, and they are never content no matter what. Either that or they expect something for nothing.

If the quality of guns coming from Ruger is not up to your standards STOP BUYING RUGERS!!. Simple as that. We live in a capitalist country where there is competition amongst providers of goods and services. If you don't like it, buy something else. They will get the message if people stop buying their product. This is especially true of idiots who say they've just bought their 53rd Ruger and they've all had to go back to have this or that fixed. HELLO. Who's the idiot here, Ruger or the whiner??? Inspect the gun before you buy it. If you find it to have issues and buy it anyway, IT'S YOUR FAULT, not Ruger's.

According to the whiners, it seems like Ruger is just sitting there happily cranking out lemons to the shooting world. If their product was that bad, they'd be out of business by now. If you want or expect Freedom Arms quality from Ruger at Ruger's price point, wake up. For the most part Ruger produces a sound, quality product that will outlast everyone on this board and some of your grandchildren. And they do it at an affordable price. You ain't gonna get perfect fit and finish, "glass rod" triggers, butter-smooth actions, honed throats, hand-lapped bores, perfect timing, etc. for $500. Ain't gonna happen. Deal with it.
Thank you, you told it like it is.
Can I comment on a $2000 gun? No, I will get thrown off the site! [smilie=1: Guys hate Rugers but will accept an expensive piece of junk and defend it to the death.

GP100man
09-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I`ve had many more good experiences with Sturm Ruger co. than bad !!

I`m partial & biased , not on my own accord but made that way by other compays "service" departments & the support (or lack of) of there products.

This is all I`m gonna say!!!

dubber123
09-18-2009, 06:17 PM
You generally get what you pay for. Some guys get lucky, and get a good piece of machinery for the money. Some guys get a slapped together ***. Some will accept a basically sound package, with a bunch of crappy small parts in the name of saving a few bucks. Some want the best chance of a near perfect package and pay for it. Eveyone fits in one of those categories. If the next lower category isn't meeting your standards, it's time to start saving...

targetshootr
09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a question, I have read on some posts about Ruger not returning .357 Max. guns sent to them for service. Is this just speculation or does someone here have proof of this? If it's true what do they replace it with?

I read the same thing on the Ruger forum but l don't remember any details. You could do a search over there and find it.

Char-Gar
09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Ruger will fix anything that is not according to their factory specs, which are generous to say the least. They will not fix things just to make a customer happy. Therein is the glitch. Sometimes customers think a low dollar Ruger should have the same quality as a high dollar Freedom Arms.

You get what you pay for and when sent one in for factory warrantee work, it comes back the same way...a cheap pistol.

Ruger are decent products for the money and most serve as a good platform on which to build and improve toward a very fine firearm.

targetshootr
09-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Ruger will fix anything that is not according to their factory specs, which are generous to say the least. They will not fix things just to make a customer happy.

The don't customize guns I guess is what you mean. But they do make repairs at little or no cost which makes a lot of people happy, considering other gunmakers will charge you out the wazoo for the same kind of work.

jh45gun
09-18-2009, 07:27 PM

If the quality of guns coming from Ruger is not up to your standards STOP BUYING RUGERS!!

I DID quit buying Rugers in fact I do not not own one now. You can call us whiners I look at it this way IF NO ONE ever told some one about the bad Rugers out there then folks would go blindly about like Chicken Little buying ****ty guns that Ruger is passing off on the market due to crappy quality control. Thats not Whineing it is telling it as it is. I have not complained about any other guns on this forum and I own a few other brands. Why do I not complain about them BECAUSE THEY WORK and are ACCURATE. I cannot say that about some Rugers I have had and it seems like the complaints are more then just a vocal few. By the way you feel better now that you have called some of us names?

Char-Gar
09-18-2009, 10:20 PM
The don't customize guns I guess is what you mean. But they do make repairs at little or no cost which makes a lot of people happy, considering other gunmakers will charge you out the wazoo for the same kind of work.

Nope... I mean they will repair or fix guns to their spec/satisfaction. If that makes you happy, then everybody is happy. If that does not make you happy, then you are unhappy.

In other words, many folks have unreasonable expectations for a cheap pistol.

jack19512
09-19-2009, 12:55 AM
In other words, many folks have unreasonable expectations for a cheap pistol.

I prefer the word inexpensive. :kidding:

jh45gun
09-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I prefer the word inexpensive. :kidding:

I think I would prefer the word UNFINISHED.