PDA

View Full Version : Changing lube in a 45

Angus
09-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I have acquired an old Lyman 45 that is filled with 50/50. I'd like to switch to BAC or LBT Soft once I get some in my greedy hands. What is the easiest way to clean the lube out of a 45?

On another note, I have acquired my first hand cannon after waiting three months for NY's judiciary and the FBI to crawl out from my rectum. Which lube would be a better fit in a 41 mag Blackhawk, 4 5/8" barrel? I'm looking for something that will do everything from Unique plinkers up to AA #9 full house hunting loads. My current molds are a Lee 195, Lee 210 TL, and a Lyman 210gr GC SWC.

cheese1566
09-16-2009, 10:01 PM
When I did my Lyman 450 and 45, I stripped off all the parts (they were new to me so I needed a small project in "refurbishing" them) and placed the main housing in my kitchen oven in the shop. I placed them on a cookie sheet with numerous sheets of newspaper under them. I tried to prop them upside down or at an inverted angle at the best. I then turned the oven on to the very lowest (warm) setting to activate the burner. The real low oven heat liquified the old lubes and drained out of the housing. Be careful! They may be hot to the touch!! I also did the sizer dies with them. When the majority of lube came out, they got a quick wipe down while still hot with dry paper towels to wipe out/off the residual lube.
Squeaky clean!!

You could probably save the dismantle procedure and place the entire thing in the oven.

I also use a small electric space heater or heat gun to do individual sizer dies.

RayinNH
09-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Take out the die, and strip off extraneous parts. Put the carcass in a pan of boiling water. The lube will float and can be skimmed off and disposed of. Allow the casting to cool and then dry off the unit. Reassembly and it's ready for new lube...Ray

Alchemist
09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
I remove the size die, the depth adjustment screw and the reservoir pressure plug and then use the wife's hair dryer on it. If you want to keep the lube for fluxing, hold the sizer over a coffe can or similar container to catch it.

Have some insulated gloves handy just in case....my wife's hair dryer gets hot!

Lloyd Smale
09-17-2009, 06:10 AM
nothing wrong with 5050 for what your doing. Id just use it up lubing bullets.

Echo
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
+1 for Lloyd - my Star is loaded with 50/50, and will remain so...

870TC
09-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I use a propane torch. Fast, easy and everyone says it can't or shouldn't be done that way :)

plumber
09-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Boil then Kroil!

Thing will be freaking spotless

dromia
09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I concurr with Lloyd, use up the 50/50 and the then fill up with Glens stuff when empty.

Waste not want not. ;)

If you must get the stuff out then strip the machine put the bits in a bucket, some coathanger wire is useful for suspending bits and go at it with a heat gun. Gets the stuff out in seconds. Degrease with Acetone but keep is away from "O" rings and such like.

Charlie Sometimes
09-17-2009, 09:17 PM
+1 for the propane torch!
Won't take long at all to remove it all, once the heat transfers to the metal.
Remove the compression disk and point the flame right up into the chamber.
It will run out faster than you think.