PDA

View Full Version : Primers

Bob Krack
09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I have no access to small pistol primers and I gotta load some .380 rounds for a friend. Wolf small pistol magnum are the only primers available around here. We have the ability to "read" the signs of pressure. Any advice as to where to start - not exact load info, just where in relation to published loads.

I'm a thinking of starting at the exact starting load as published in the Lyman Cast Bullet manual. Unique will be the powder. We are not looking for "barrel melting" loads, just mild target loads.

Again, the main question is "What concerns should I have with using the magnum primers as versus the standard small pistol primers"?

Bob

MtGun44
09-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I suspect that you will be OK, but I would start with the lowest loads published, on the
off chance that the hotter primer causes the Unique to burn faster than normal in the
very small quantity that you will be using. In all probability, you will no notice much
difference, but in a tiny case with a tiny charge, the hot primer might make the largest
difference in the burning speed of the powder.

If it were me, I'd load about 3 rds of the lightest load listed in the book. Then about 5
of the 'desired load'. If it isn't too far to go to the range to make this practical, I'd fire
the first of the light loads with someone to watch the case trajectory so you can look at
it and see A) how far it was ejected, an indication of pressure level B) if the primer or
case looks like there was high pressure or normal pressure. If this one looks OK, and
ejection is short (as it should be) then fire the next two light loads and see if they act
the same (no problems, low velocity and pressure signs). If this goes as expected.
Try the first of the 'desired load', again using ejection distance, felt recoil and case/primer
condition to judge if all is well or not. Once you have fired 5 of these and all seems well,
you have probably proven that you have no real unusual problems due to the mag primers.

It's probably overkill on the safety aspect, but keeping from developing any "interesting"
events is my general rule in handloading.

Bill

Ole
09-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Just use a starting load and you should be fine.

Those quick powders in the little .380 case get a cookin' pretty fast anyway.