PDA

View Full Version : Super Redhawk's rear sight assembly problem?

Naphtali
09-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I was shooting one of my SRH 480s, and FA 83 475s yesterday with new 400-grain bullet loads @ 1150 fps. The SRH's inaccuracy was as disturbing as the M83's was encouraging.

1. With rear sight as low as I can set it, revolver shoots about 8 inches high at 25 yards and about 4 inches right of point of aim. The grouping was, charitably, about 6 inches per cylinderful.

2. SRH's rear sight assembly is wiggly laterally by hand. I strongly suspect this is the heart of the grouping problem. But if I use the elevation screw to increase tension -- reducing lateral movement of sight's base -- the point of impact problem becomes worse.
With same bullet at similar 1150 fps 475 Linebaugh loading, the M83 was about 1 inch high at 25 yards and about 2 inches right of point of aim. Group was about 1.5 inches at 25 yards. This revolver was fired after the SRH, so I suspect I'll shoot better with it (first) today.
I deduce the problem is less with me than the SRH. What is its problem? What can I do about it?

dubber123
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
A Bowen rear sight, (if available for D/A Rugers ), is a great addition. The factory Ruger rear is a real low point in their construction. Even a Millett rear would be a major up grade. What are the bore/cylinder throat measurements on the Ruger? Tight throats maybe?

If you keep the factory rear on the Ruger, they often can be notched on the bottom side to allow more elevation adjustment.

jhrosier
09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
If the tang of the sight, the part that fits into the slot in the frame, is loose (too small), you can take it out and use a prick punch to swage up some material on each side until it is a bit too tight.
Then take a small fine file and file the sight back down until it just barely goes into the slot.
This should be done to the area closest to the pivot pin and extending back about half the length of the sight. Many small marks are better than one big one.

Your front sight is too short. This is common with heavy boolits in Ruger revolvers. You will have to buy a taller front sight or try to build up the existing sight. Some folks have had good results building up sights with JB Weld, a brand of metal filled epoxy.

Jack

mike in co
09-16-2009, 10:07 PM
there is a rear sight on revolvers ???

no way....

( ok i actually have an aim point on my 44srh...have never shot it with factory sights)

mike in co

09-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Don't know what your problem is but "One Ragged Hole" makes a dandy rear sight leaf insert replacement. It's basically a ghost ring/peep sight that fits in the factory slot in place of the rear notch. My buddy credits it with saving his life in a grizzely attack a couple months ago. He was mauled badly before he could bring his Ruger to bear. Bear left him momentarily and then returned to finish him off. He got his revolver up and once he saw the front sight through the rear peep, he center massed the beast. DRT. I think it's www.oneraggedhole.com

Three44s
09-17-2009, 12:51 AM
I got the One Ragged Hole rear peep on my 9.5" SRH and the Ruger bead front sight on the front ...... I like it a lot!

As for high impacts, change to a taller front sight. The RH and SRH's are very well suited to front sight substitution.

Three 44s

Naphtali
09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Many thanks, guys for the sight information. As I write, I'm in a my-back-is-up mood. A man who has been doing custom work for me -- for more than five years -- appears to have slipped it to me again. I have bestowed the Klein Curse on him.

And I'm thinking now: Dispose of this standard SRH 480, holster, brass, etc. My 475s shoot well and are intended for the same purpose.

Oh, well, perhaps the mood will pass.