PDA

View Full Version : Tin sheet?

ilcop22
09-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with/has knowledge of the viability of tin sheets for casting? Specifically I am referring to the small tin sheets sold in most home improvement stores.

I don't suspect this is viable, but that's why I'm asking!

Thanks.

legend
09-16-2009, 03:25 AM
ilcop22,

hi,welcome!

I am not positive about the sheets you talk about ,as,i have never seen them.
however are you sure they ARE tin? could they be flashing? most i have seen are galvanised steel,or,soft lead.
if they are tin what store have you found them in?we might all learn something about a source for real tin.

ilcop22
09-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have found these sheets in Home Depot and Ace hardware. Here's a link-thru example:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3693093&clickid=body_rv_img

I have used the sheets before for home repair and for all I can tell its nearly pure tin. Makes me wonder if its some kind of blend, though. Suppose I can ask a sales associate and see what they say. [smilie=b:

ilcop22
09-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Not to be contradictory, but I e-mailed the company shortly after my reply. This was their (short) response:

"It is steel with a tin coating."

Nose Dive
09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, if it is tin for sure, I'd use it. I am using tin out of a case of 762 x 25 that encased the boolits. Yep, opened it up..cut it up...melted it with pure lead and poured it out. Nice boolits but, not a smelter by trade so mix was a bit lean in tin I am sure. but use what you have and not waste it....

"the lack of money is the root of all evil"....*** Mark Twain***

shotman
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
IT AINT TIN be a sured of that

Ole
09-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I bought two of those by accident when I first started. They are most likely galvanized steel (steel coated with zinc).

All is not lost if you buy one or two though. Those work great to make for easier clean up. Just put a sheet underneath your casting pot or turkey fryer. When your done smelting, pick up the sheet and toss the spillage right in the trash.

:)

Shiloh
09-16-2009, 11:35 PM
As stated, it isn't tin. Other than pewter, either ornamental or fine pewter, and solder, there are not to many scrap supplies of tin and used tin.

Shiloh

SciFiJim
09-17-2009, 12:13 AM
pick up the sheet and toss the spillage right in the trash.
:shock: Put the spillage back in the pot. It's too hard to find to throw any away.