PDA

View Full Version : Colt SAA 44sp. questions

rockrat
09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Bought one of these earlier in the year and just finally got around to loading some rounds to just say I shot it. Well, its used now, but only holds a group on our gongs that are 16" @ 50yds.:cry:

Got home and slugged it and measured the cylinder throats. Throats are fairly uniform at .433" and the barrel slugs out at .428". Only boolit I have in that size is a 280gr rnfp.

If I can chamber a round, is the .005" difference between throat/groove dimensions going to cause problems.

Thanks

StarMetal
09-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Bought one of these earlier in the year and just finally got around to loading some rounds to just say I shot it. Well, its used now, but only holds a group on our gongs that are 16" @ 50yds.:cry:

Got home and slugged it and measured the cylinder throats. Throats are fairly uniform at .433" and the barrel slugs out at .428". Only boolit I have in that size is a 280gr rnfp.

If I can chamber a round, is the .005" difference between throat/groove dimensions going to cause problems.

Thanks

You are fine. You didn't want to have a barrel groove diameter bigger then the cylinder for sure. I'd try to get the right weigh bullets. Being .005 isn't going to hurt anything, but be careful with maximum loads. When you get set up you may wish to experiment with different bullet sizes to see which shoot the best.

You need to shoot the gun more and get more familiar with it. I assume it's the fixed sight model and those aren't exactly easy to shoot and not target sights for sure. Work with it and I will more then likely please you. Like I said you're lucky the barrel groove wasn't bigger then the cylinder. Then you'd have to ream them out little larger.

Joe

Dale53
09-16-2009, 12:24 AM
The general rule with cast bullets is to size for the cylinder throats. In your case, a .432" bullet will probably work well. In spite of the smaller barrel, it should work well and I would look for good accuracy.

Dale53

cajun shooter
09-16-2009, 12:30 AM
+1 on the post by Dale. I would at least shoot lead bullets that are sized at .430 in it

StarMetal
09-16-2009, 12:38 AM
+1 on Starmetal's post. :kidding::kidding:

Joe