PDA

View Full Version : Smelting burner

walker77
09-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Im wondering if it wouldnt be better to spread the flame out over the bottom of the pot. Maybe use two burners. Rather than let the heat slowly move out from the center, spread it out and then you wouldnt have to run it as hot. What do you guys think?

woody1
09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Im wondering if it wouldnt be better to spread the flame out over the bottom of the pot. Maybe use two burners. Rather than let the heat slowly move out from the center, spread it out and then you wouldnt have to run it as hot. What do you guys think?

Not sure what you're asking but I want all the heat I can get and I want to use it to the MAX. I use a turkey fryer burner and a topless 5 gal propane tank for a pot.
The flame spreads out over the pot bottom and up the sides because I shield the flame as much as possible with metal flashing to keep it from frittering away in the breeze and run it up the sides of the pot. (I smelt outside) I also put a lid on the top of the pot which I think helps hold the heat in. The lid doesn't totally seal the pot so the smoke from burning rubber, paint, and various other trash can get out. YMMV Regards, Woody

MT Gianni
09-15-2009, 10:20 PM
What is the bottom area of your pot and the area of your flame? Ideally you should have the flame tips within 1" of the edge of your cooking vessel. Generally overage is wasted heat or impinging which causes sooting and insulates the pot.

walker77
09-15-2009, 11:18 PM
If you run it as hot as you can, you are running the risk of melting zinc on the bottom of the pot before the rest of the lead even gets hot. Like my burner head is maybe 3 inch diameter. The pot is 12 maybe. The lead in the middle of the pot will get hot before the lead on the side of the pot, right? So why not put two burners under the pot, reduce the heat, and maybe it will bring the heat up a little more evenly. And you say the flames spread out and go up the pot. But if you look at the flame, the blue flame is in the middle. Its been a while since science class, but i do know the blue flame is a lot hotter than the yeller. Its late and im just probably over analizing this. But it came to my mind last night while i was melting some lead. And by the way, if you know for sure you dont have any zinc in your pot, running the flame wide open would be ok. Well, i take that back, you are going to waste a lot of gas, but it wont hurt the lead.

XWrench3
09-16-2009, 12:50 AM
If you run it as hot as you can, you are running the risk of melting zinc on the bottom of the pot before the rest of the lead even gets hot.

yep, that is why i have always put in several ingots of ww whenever i smelt. when this is melted, then i add ww's to it, in an effort to catch any zinc weights before they melt. the other thing you may need to watch, is that some burners are made of aluminum. if the heat get to high, theoreticly at least, you could have a major meltdown.

runfiverun
09-16-2009, 12:53 AM
you don't want the flames going up the sides of the pot it's wasted.
i fugured about 35k btu's is right.

evan price
09-16-2009, 02:27 AM
To test, put about 2" of water in your empty smelting pot then light it off. When the water starts to boil you'll see where the bubbles are rising from. IF it isn't most of the bottom, then a spreader or diffuser might be a good idea.

Dry very carefully before melting lead again.

rob45
09-16-2009, 04:20 AM
I gave you a response in your other thread concerning this same question (equipment-burner head). It's a long-winded response, but maybe it will help out.