PDA

View Full Version : Found the box from Dad's Lyman 45

imashooter2
04-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I was doing a little spring cleaning and organization in the basement and came across the original box for the Lyman 45 that my father purchased in the very early 1950's. It had a price tag on it... 16 American dollars! I expect that was a couple of days pay in 1950.

Just thought I'd share. Carry on.

Dale53
04-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Just to keep things in perspective, in 1953 I was a senior in a high school with a really good vocational machine shop. I was in my second year of machine shop and a local factory sent a "scout" to interview us (actually several local factories). I was offered a top job in a local Bendix Carburetor Factory machine shop - $1.75 per hour. I was also offered a position a the local GM plant in the tool room apprentice program for $1.45 per hour (long term this was the better job).

Just for your information...

Dale53

Beau Cassidy
04-15-2006, 08:41 PM
And to think, my mother wasn't even in high school yet!

Beau

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Thank you Dale. You just made me feel young. I wasn't born until six years after the events you're describing happened.

Dave

Dale53
04-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Fooey!! to ALL of you, uh-h-h. whippersnappers!!:-D :-D :-D

Dale53

357maximum
04-15-2006, 10:46 PM
In 1953 My mom wasn't even a glimmer in grandpas' eye yet.

Boy some of you sure must have had it easy in history class, what I had to learn in history was what you called current events.....

kodiak1
04-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Sure hate all these smart ****'s!!!!!!
Times have changed a little over the last 50 plus years. I still wonder when we had it the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-16-2006, 12:16 AM
We had it the best when we were still alive and kicking, I think. Some time periods are better than others in certain ways, but I find there was something at every "age" I've been in I like.

Dave

NVcurmudgeon
04-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Dale53, I was a senior in high school in 1954. My part-time drugstore job paid 75 cents an hour.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-16-2006, 07:58 AM
In 1953 My mom wasn't even a glimmer in grandpas' eye yet.

Boy some of you sure must have had it easy in history class, what I had to learn in history was what you called current events.....

At least you were lucky enough to still get a history class. My son is attending UNC at Chapel Hill. He complains to me about what should be his history class, but is actually liberal propoganda. He calls the class "How to hate the United States since 1945." He actually started attending this weekend seminars where they learned the truth about history from conservatives disgusted with the crap the school was putting out. That, along with other information he's learned how to dig up, is giving himself a good educaiton (I.E., he's learning to teach himself outside of class.)

To his credit (and with just a little guidance from his Pop) he figured out his liberal professors were full of crapola. He now calls himself a "conservative activist" and he started a gun club on campus. Yep, right in the heart of the bastion of liberalism, Chapel Hill, NC, aka "Commie HIll," my son started a gun club. Not only that, but forced student congress to fund it like any other club (gotta love that fairness doctrine stuff, libs are finding out that's a two edged sword).

He's managed top all that stuff off by getting a position for the summer with a "do tank" where they learn how to take the liberals tactics and use them to broadcast conservative values, including gun ownership and all the values the original founding fathers had. He's getting quite sharp about defending our rights and I'm right proud of hm. Says he wants to be the heat of the NRA someday.

Dave

RayinNH
04-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Dave, sounds like you have a good son there. I think I can safely guess he doesn't have purple hair or a nose ring either :drinks:...Ray

sundog
04-16-2006, 09:31 AM
My first job working for someone other than my Dad (he had a dandy wood buisness) was on the farm next door. First year - 1964 - was sixty cents an hour. Next year was a dollar an hour! And we worked hard and long. sundog

btw, to kinda stay on topic, I have a Lyman 57?? receiver sight I bought new about that time. Box is marked [I think] $8.75 and its steel not aluminium. The 17A globe with insert set was like 3 sumthin. I suppose I should put them something!

imashooter2
04-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't know what Dad was making in 1950, but when he got out of the Navy in '45 he hired on as a lineman for Bell Telephone at $1 an hour, got married and bought a house.

When I was a kid we did all sorts of odd jobs for money. Dad loaned my brother and I money to buy a power mower and we did lawns, I ran a paper route, etc.. My first hourly job was a porter at Dunkin' Doughnuts. It was 1971, I was 14 years old and the pay was 76 cents an hour.

BTW, never eat the white cream doughnuts. The custard cream or jelly are fine, but don't eat the white cream.

357maximum
04-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Dave : That boy of yours would be welcome at my dinner tabe anytime, I absolutely love it when ONE slips through the liberalists crack.

I am young enough to know that corn is corn unless it it spelled with a K then KORN is an alternative rock band, which ain't bad music by the way. I am also old enough to know that the best thing for a misbehavin child is a swift kick to ****. I too was one of them children that questioned all the liberal B.S in high school which my teachers did not like so much. It is hard knowing the truth of the world and being forced to listen to the ****e they profess in schools these days. For some reason the kids that want the teach to " PROVE IT" still seem to come out alright in my eyes.

By the way my mom was born in 55, I was born in 73, and yes I was being a smart ****, more to jerk the chain and see what fell, more than any other reason. Sometimes I just enjoy being a P.I.T.A. You cannot blame a guy for doin a little fishin, can you?

When the government fears the people you live with freedom, when the people fear the government you live under tyranny. The direction we are headed quite honestly scares the hell out of me sometimes.

chunkum
04-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Check out the price tag on this old (though not quite so old) mould box.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/PhilHarris/OhausKeithType.jpg

c.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Dave, sounds like you have a good son there. I think I can safely guess he doesn't have purple hair or a nose ring either :drinks:...Ray

Ray,

He certainly does not. He has a flat top hair cut (his choice) and he wears jeans or khaki slacks, dockers or tennis shoes and polo shirts or T-shirts with conservative slogans on them. He told me he quit listening to rap music because it was about anything but whining and started listening to country and western because "I liked the themes they sang about in most songs, lots more patriotism."

357maximum,

"That boy of yours would be welcome at my dinner tabe anytime, I absolutely love it when ONE slips through the liberalists crack."

Well thank you, I'll pass that along to him. I like to think I had a bit of a hand in making him what he is.

"It is hard knowing the truth of the world and being forced to listen to the ****e they profess in schools these days. For some reason the kids that want the teach to " PROVE IT" still seem to come out alright in my eyes."

When he was in the first nine weeks of his first grade year and his sister was in third grade, I was working with his sister on her addition and subtraction using "visualization" of flash cards in the car while traveling from their Grandfather's house to home. My son kept beating her with the answers out of the back seat (She was in the front.) and I had to ask him to pipe down and let his sister figure it out. But not before I realized he was "skip" counting to get the answer. I knew then he was going to be a bit different and began to plan on preparing him to live up to the intelligence potential I saw there. I always taught him to think for himself and be a leader. It helped when in baseball he ended up being a pitcher and in football he was a linebacker, both natural leadership positions. When he wasn't in school or sports, I had him out hunting, fishing and shooting. As he finished high school and started college, I sent him emails with conservative websites so he could read and "compare" while doing his own thinking. The results have been interesting, to say the least.

"When the government fears the people you live with freedom, when the people fear the government you live under tyranny. The direction we are headed quite honestly scares the hell out of me sometimes."

I agree totally. I graduated high school in 1977. At that time, two high school boys could still get into a fist fight and it was not a big deal, no therapy or any of that metro sexual "training" crapola. Oddly enough, most boys were much more polite and easier to deal with than they are todayl, with none of the anger I see present in many high school teenagers today.

My hope with my own son is he becomes the antidote to the liberals and their brain washing indoctrination. I know he's certainly working on it to change things back 180 degrees from where it is now. Kinda like a sixties hippie in reverse. He has told me of where he's converted several liberal females after taking them shooting and showing them the lies the liberal tell about firearms. Makes them ask the question: "If they lied to me about this, what else did they lie to me about?" Pretty effective, I'm thinking.

Regards,

Dave

Dale53
04-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Dave;
All I can say is "Congratulations!". It appears that you have done your job.

My son, daughter-in-law, and two grand daughters are visiting with us during the children's spring break. My son, is a full bird Colonel in Special Forces (Medical Officer). He has a couple of years to go before retirement. I have been blessed with wonderful children.

Dale53

Bucks Owin
04-16-2006, 06:58 PM
My Dad's Win M-70 in .270 (that was originally ordered by Townsend Whelen!) cost $64.50 in 1945 when he left the service.....

A lot of money then!

Dennis

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Dale,

Next time you see your son, will you please tell him thank you for me? I served for four and half myself. Anybody who can serve for a career deserves a couple thanks you's.

Regards,

Dave

Dale53
04-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Dave;
Thank you, my man. I spent five years in the Ohio National Guard and on active duty. I have "carefully" explained to my son that the non-coms run the army:mrgreen:

Dale53 (SFC, Infantry)

FISH4BUGS
04-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Dave : That boy of yours would be welcome at my dinner tabe anytime, I absolutely love it when ONE slips through the liberalists crack.
My poor daughter goes to Kenyon in Ohio - it is one of the most left wing liberal arts colleges on the face of the earth. Their graduation speaker this year is John "I have a Plan" Kerry.
She is a liberal - it just happened that way no thanks to her mother - but she is a pro-gun liberal. She loves shooting my submachine guns and handguns. She works harder than anyone I know training for swimming and going to school.
I try to tell her about gun control and the folly of it. She agrees completely. I just hope there is a conservative hidden in there somewhere. Unfortunately, she has too many other liberal beliefs, but there is hope.

omgb
04-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I've got a 28 year old daughter that started out adulthood with some liberal tendancies. Now, after 4 years on the LAPD, those traits are loooooooong gone. It's amazing what a dose of "inner city" culture can do for the soul. I teach US History at a Catholic high school. As you may imagine, I'm a rare bird, Republican, conservative, USAF vet, NRA and QU member and one of the most popular teachers on campus. Why? I like to believe it's for two reasons. First, I like the kids and respect them. I treat them as I would be treated. I listen before I act, I act fairly and consistantly and I require of them, the same. Second, I offer facts to back up my statements. In a recent discussion about illegal immigration the students praised my factual discussion verses another teacher's tear-jerker movies and feel-good nostrums. Facts are the key to learning. Feelings are next to useless. The truth, not how I feel about something, is the only sound basis for rational descision making. If I teach only that I figure I'm way ahead in the game.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-17-2006, 02:22 PM
May God bless you Mr. Talley and thank you for being a fortress of truth in a world beginning to fill with lies. The liberals nowadays are getting quite upset with folks like yourself and my son, who insist on dealing with the truth rather than lies repeated multiple times. I think folks like you are who will turn this country back from the precipice.

Best Regards,

Dave