PDA

View Full Version : Remy rolling block help

yotatrd4x4
09-14-2009, 09:12 PM
OK I made a trade with Wonderwolf or we are making a trade I am getting a Remington rolling block from him chambered in 43 spanish. He put a newer or should I say alot better barrel on the rifle. The rifle receiver is a older number one with the bar type extractor. My question is the argentine barrel he put on the rifle is made for the rolling extractor. Can I get a rolling extractor and put it in with the breach block instead of having the barrel milled for the bar type extractor? If not can I put in a breach block from a rolling extractor along with the same style extractor and make it work or is it better to just pull the barrel and have it milled? I dont have the rifle yet but he told me it needed milled but he also said he hadnt looked at it much and kinda lost interest before he got deep into it. The barrel is cut down to 32 inches and has the flats on each side near the receiver and has a nice front sight put on it and looks to have a good crown. The inside looks great as well. Would it be better to get a bar type barrel and sell mine? Or trade to someone who needs this style barrel? I am in the dark as far as what to do so anyone who knows the Old Remy rolling blocks please help me.

218bee
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
may want to post this in the "gunsmithing" section, I'm sure some guys here will be able to help

trevj
09-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm (mostly) sure that the conversion from straight line extraction to rotary is a little more than just swapping parts.

On my Scandinavian RB, the conversion was done at an Armory, the screw hole for the original extractor was filled, the new hole for the rotary extractor drilled, and a full complement of new internals was fitted (Hammer, block, extractor, and barrel) as well as being heat treated again (no doubt being annealed before the drilling and fitting of new parts).

The big issue, I think, would be the drilling of the pivot for the rotary style extractor. AFAIK, the ones used on the Swede guns were of the same style as used by Remington. If you can reliably drill that, you should be able to assure that a new breech block is adequately well fitted.

Cheers
Trev

wills
09-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Why not ask Dave Higginbotham, he would know if anyone would

http://www.lonestarrifle.com/