PDA

View Full Version : 1886 browning sights

milltownhunter
09-14-2009, 07:02 PM
i just ordered a browning 86 saddle carbine new in the box any idea's on a good tang sight ?

EDK
09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
MARBLES makes a nice one and MONTANA VINTAGE ARMS (in Belgrade MT) makes a superb one...at about twice the price of the MARBLES! The "big boys" in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle competition use MVA on their Sharps, etc replicas.

The LYMAN doesn't adjust for windage...it is basically a Cowboy Action Shooting item for short range, in my opinion.

There are some other sights out there, but I'd look them over real seriously before buying.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

McLintock
09-14-2009, 07:30 PM
As EDK said, the Marbles works well, but you have to get one of the newer types with the longer interchangeable staff. Due to the long bolt on the '86, the sight has to sit way back on the tang and it takes a lot of elevation to get out to any distance. I've got the older Marbles on my '86 Browning rifle, but I was able to order longer staff inserts to lenghten the elevation potential, I don't think they sell these anymore. Also, as he said, stay away from the Lyman, due to no windage adjustment, and the MVA is great, but very expensive, and depending on how you're going to use it, you really don't need that kind of precision on a lever gun.
McLintock

pietro
09-15-2009, 07:59 AM
A "good" tang sight would depend upon the use you're going to put the gun to.

For a hunting rifle, and a "set 'n forget" sight, the $70 Lyman #2 works just as well as the more expensive spread - AND it's adjustable for windage via shimming it's base on one side or the other. The elevation adjustment is like most others, rotating the stem/collar.

If you expect to be constantly resetting/readjusting the sight for different loads or ranges, the $125 Marble's tang peep is click adjustable for both W&E.

The more expensive tang sights ($200-$500) have either finer/better adjustment features or a longer staff for shooting at extended ranges.

A viable option, where shooting at different ranges is involved, would be to install whatever tang sight, and switch out the rear barrel sight to a folder (so the sight pic thru the tanger will be clear).
The barrel sight should be zeroed for closer-range, fast shots, as in jump hunting; and the tang sight zeroed for more deliberate shots at a longer range, as in target shooting or when sighting game afar.
I've always had ample time to fold the barrel sight & raise the tanger for a long shot, when I rough hunt off the barrel sights.

This is the Lyman, in a dual-sight setup, with a Marble's barrel folder on my .375 Win BB94:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1056072/JGKET-.375.jpg

Either alone with a tang sight, or in conjunction with a dual-sighting method, the issue height front sight blade should zero OK with most standard loads.