PDA

View Full Version : gas checks

pupsdad
09-14-2009, 04:06 PM
If I shoot subsonic loads is there any reason to use gas checks, or is it OK to leave them off with the subsonic loadings. I have been thinking about sending a mould out for hollowpointing and was considering having the base made plain also, but if I should be using gas checks I guess it should be left as is.

dromia
09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits pupsdad.:drinks:

Generally speaking gas check boolits can be shot well at low velocity without gas checks.

However each rifle is law unto itself and the only way you will truly know is to try it, shooting uncheked gas check boolits won't harm your rifle.

I shoot a lot of low velocity rounds through my .303" for indoor shooting with the soupcan boolit, my No 4T won't shoot this boolit worth a damn if it isn't gas checked, much to my chagrin I may add.

Other rifles checked or unchecked makes no visible difference on the target.

So test and try and you'll know what your guns like.

badgeredd
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
If I shoot subsonic loads is there any reason to use gas checks, or is it OK to leave them off with the subsonic loadings. I have been thinking about sending a mould out for hollowpointing and was considering having the base made plain also, but if I should be using gas checks I guess it should be left as is.

There isn't any reason not to have the mold plain based if it is relatively common. Since you're shooting subsonic, and apparently intend to stick with that speed, I'd definitely get the mold made into a plain based mold. Also most any plain base can be pushed up to the 1400 fps with the correct alloy and a good lube. I was kinda wondering what mold you're talking about and what firearm type your shooting it out of.

Edd

pupsdad
09-18-2009, 02:30 PM
The bullet is a Lyman 314299 I have a double cavity mould the rifle is a 700 Remington I have a new barrel on order and I thought I would make a 300 whisper.

PatMarlin
09-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome to cast boolit heaven Pupsdad. I'm gonna make the same rifle when I get a chance. I have that same mold as well- should be awesome for the whisper. ..:drinks:

Ole
09-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Try it without the gas check and see what happens.

If you get leading, then before you give up, try a small (.5gr) tuft of poly fill.

I shoot the 425 ranch dog bullet in my .450 marlin light loads (20.0gr 2400) with no gas check. I use .5gr tuft of poly fill as a filler. They shoot super all the way out to 50 yards.