PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up pan lubing

flagman1776
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
I used to do a lot of pan lubing pistol bullets. I had a bunch of Lee pans from the different calibers & just used a thin spatula to move them on & off a hot plate. The bottle neck was the sizer.
I ended up making a fixture out of a block of 4 X 4. I drilled a stepped hole in the top, dropped in a washer to absorb the thrust & glued piece of tubing in to hold the size die... I drilled & tapped a thumb screw from the side to keep the die in place.
I drilled a diagonal hole in one side intersecting the main channel, as a discharge chute.
In use the lubed bullet is dropped into the die, the punch is pressed onto it. Often I could just thump it with my hand to force the bullet through or a handy stick otherwise. I sat the fixture in a tray so the lubed bullets would just roll out the chute.
This may not be as fast as a lub sizer machine but saves about half the motions of just doing it on the bench. For those on a strict budget, this still works.
Russ

SciFiJim
09-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Pics?

Dale53
09-18-2009, 12:11 AM
I have pan lubed hundreds of BPCR bullets as well as Schuetzen bullets. The BPCR bullets I sized with the Lee Sizer mounted in a reloading press. With the "catch cup" that comes with the sizer, this ran pretty dern fast and did a stellar job. I used several cake pans at a time for pan lubing. I found them at thrift stores for small change.

NOTE: I have a Star, RCBS, and Lyman lube/sizers but the big, soft, BPCR bullets were best served by pan lubing and Lee sizing.

Dale53