PDA

View Full Version : Got some 67/33 SnPb solder drippings. How much of the Tin would have oxidized out?

AJ Peacock
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I got my first couple pounds of solder drippings from my friends automatic solder machine. The drippings are super clean (from a semi-clean room setting). The solder bar that they feed the machine starts out as 67% Tin and 33% Lead. Wondering if I should use that percentage when I add it to my melts, or will it be lower due to the tin oxidizing a little? I was thinking I could use it as 50/50 and will then have plenty of Tin in the mix, especially if I end up with a pound or two/month :drinks:

Thanks all,
AJ

lylejb
09-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't think much tin would be lost in a clean room setting. The small amount of oxidized material would be largely taken care of by fluxing the pot.

Even if the total loss was 10% (now only 61% tin) that's still not enough "error" to notice.

Say you were making lyman #2, at 5% tin, and it only came out to 4.5%. I don't think i could tell the differance.

Or adding 2% tin to WW's, and it only came out to 1.8%. I wouldn't know without some kind of lab test.

Short answer, enjoy the supply, don't worry about it:grin:

runfiverun
09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
for easy math figure it at 60%.
i use some of those bars from kester and use one bar per 100 lbs of ww's and it comes out at like 1.3% don't matter as it fills out fine.

cajun shooter
09-15-2009, 08:32 AM
It sounds like you have a very good source for tin and it's free. Don't get any better.

AJ Peacock
09-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys, that's what I figured. This CB stuff is new to me and the more I read, the more I realize how much I don't know. So, I just had to ask.

Thanks again,
AJ