PDA

View Full Version : Ruger redhawk in 45LC

Dogg
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Probably a stupid question here but: I am contemplating purchase of a 4" Redhawk in 45LC as a companion to my 45LC rifles. Any comments about this caliber and pistol? Most of my revolvers have been S&W which I really prefer for looks and action but realize they are not as robust as the Ruger.
Thanks
Dogg

jh45gun
09-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Stick with the Smith if you have done a search here it will tell you Ruger guns in 45 Colt are not that accurate and need work.

bisley45
09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Stick with the Smith if you have done a search here it will tell you Ruger guns in 45 Colt are not that accurate and need work.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the accurate part.
I have one in 45 colt and when I bought it it would keep 6 rounds under 2.5" at 50 yards. but they do need some work if you want it to shoot like this at 50 yards
and yes this is with cast boolits
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/lisa1lacy2/my%20guns/4-30-06003.jpg

Trey45
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I have the 4" 45 Colt Redhawk, it's accurate too. A friend of mine who can outshoot me on any given day shot a 1 and a half inch 6 shot group with it offhand at 25 yards. I can't shoot that good off hand. I like the 4" 45 so much I'm considering another Redhawk in 4" 44 mag, if I can find one locally.

Frank
09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Trey45 says
I can't shoot that good off hand.
Yeah, it's hard to bench that 4" revolver. But that's good that your friend knows how to shoot. What kind of loads were you shooting? Unique? H110?

cajun shooter
09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Ruger chambers and bores have been in the past on the small side. In saying that let me now say that I went to a Ruger armorer school while a cop and firearms instructor. The Ruger is like a tank when it comes to holding up to serious abuse. The reason you don't see Ruger at any of the Police Competition is the design of the trigger and hammer which results in bad lock time. They are not designed for that type of work. They also came in 45 Colt with .451 bores which is on the small side. With cast bullets of 452 you are fine. I shoot 454 in my USFA SAA. If you are buying it to be a sidearm to the rifle then do so as it will be here after you are gone. If you want to shoot competition then buy the S&W.

jh45gun
09-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I am going to have to disagree with you on the accurate part.
I have one in 45 colt and when I bought it it would keep 6 rounds under 2.5" at 50 yards. but they do need some work if you want it to shoot like this at 50 yards
and yes this is with cast boolits
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/lisa1lacy2/my%20guns/4-30-06003.jpg

Well I have heard more complaints then praise here about the 45 Colt in Ruger then any other caliber and I have read more Ruger articles in the gun rags about having a "good" Ruger after sending the gun to get fixed up. Sheriff Jim Wilson seems to be semi famous for such articles I have read a lot of them where he sends them off to get slicked up and fixed up to become shooters. Which in my opinion is BS Ruger should send them to ya like that already. Like I said get a Smith.

Dogg
09-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Well after reading all the anti-ruger stuff I was looking at the S&W 630???

Looks like it is a Smith that can handle anything that can be put in it, just don't care for the price!

machinisttx
09-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Some of the Smiths have oversize throats, rather than undersize like the Ruger. It's easy to take a bit more metal out, but difficult to put more on.

jh45gun
09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Well I have heard of few folks complain about the Smiths not shooting. I cannot honestly say that about the Rugers. True Story my brother now passed on a few years ago bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 357. He always did have a fondness for single actions but he shot and carried a Smith&Wesson most of his Adult life as he was in Law Enforcement he was a WI State Trooper then he transfered to become a WI Game Warden which he was most of his law enforcement career which he retired from. During that time he shot on the state pistol team so he was a good pistol shot. Now after he retired and bought that Ruger his kid and him were out shooting. His kid has a couple of Smiths one in 357 and a 44 mag. My brother after shooting for a while said I guess my eyes just are getting old I cannot hit crap anymore. He was about ready to give up shooting and my nephew said "Dad shoot my Smith 357" He did and hit every thing he shot at. Was not my brother but that Ruger that was at fault. I never found a Smith that did not shoot. Now not saying their can be exceptions but I will not own a Ruger anymore.

The last pistol I bought was a Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt. First time I shot it I had problems but it was me not the gun after I shot it a bit and got used to the typical notch and skinny front sight I could then shoot it good. Yea a target sight would be nicer in the back but I will leave it origional. Now I am not saying some Rugers will not shoot either but I figure it is a crap shoot and unless you can shoot the gun before buying which in most cases you cannot and surely cannot if it is new then you will not know until it is too late.

My last two Rugers a like New Single Six and a 44 Mag Blackhawk both used I had about the same time. Both shot all over the place and did not group well either. I like my brother decided my eyes were getting iffy. I traded them Rugers off. I wish it would have been summer when I got both of them I probably could have taken them back and said they did not shoot well but I bought them in the winter and did not shoot them for several months until it got nice out. After I got rid of them and did not have a pistol for a while I saw a Chinese copy of the Walther target pistol that Navy arms used to import. So I bought it. Now I had a hard time seeing the sights on that gun they were so small but I could hit what I was shooting at even with the fine sights. It shot groups too not like them last Rugers I had so like my brother I was going to blame myself instead of the gun.

Later I traded that Copy for my Smith 22A it now has a red dot but I could hit with the open sights with that gun too. I got open sights on my 45 Colt/410 barrel for my Encore having added Williams slugger sights to the rib they are fiber optic and that at 25 yards shoots well too. Even though it has that long chamber that some have complained about for 45 Colt accuracy I found that putting decent sights on the barrel helped it out a lot. So I have had accuracy issues with Rugers I cannot say that about most anything else I have shot pistol wise. For what it is worth I have had my share of Rugers over the years starting back in 1974 with a New Single Six. I got to say that gun shot well wish I would have kept it. I had a blackhawk 44 later that shot well too but I figured I could not afford to feed it and I did not reload at the time so I traded it off an other mistake. So its not like I have not given Rugers a fair chance but I have had enough iffy ones I will not take a chance anymore not unless I could shoot it first.

bisley45
09-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Well I have heard more complaints then praise here about the 45 Colt in Ruger then any other caliber and I have read more Ruger articles in the gun rags about having a "good" Ruger after sending the gun to get fixed up. Sheriff Jim Wilson seems to be semi famous for such articles I have read a lot of them where he sends them off to get slicked up and fixed up to become shooters. Which in my opinion is BS Ruger should send them to ya like that already. Like I said get a Smith.

ruger would send them like that but it would cost you about 3 time as much

jh45gun
09-15-2009, 03:51 PM
ruger would send them like that but it would cost you about 3 time as much

It should not cost them that much and I would rather pay more for a gun done right then get a mediocre specimen that is not worth the box it came in.

Dogg
09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
OK, any thoughts on the S&W 460? It looks to be as strong as a Ruger but looks pretty hefty. And could shoot the 45LC, 454 casull and S&W 460. Only hold back would be size and cost. But I haven't seen much on them other than they crank out the fastest handgun round to be had on planet earth.

SP101GUY
09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Hello all, new to the forum. I can't comment on the 45LC, but I do have the 4" Redhawk in 44mag and love it. I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards, and that is good for me. She kicks like a mule with full house loads.

I plan on casting some Lee 310rfn boolits for it this fall. I have 7 Rugers, I love them all. I do agree that there are some basket cases out there, but I have yet to have one. Or know some one with a problem gun.

The Redhawk is built like a tank, I recommend trying one out.

Rafe Covington
09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I have a 7.5 in Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt, it is accurate and a very good hunting revolver. I shoot a 300 gr cast bullet using 18.5 grs of 2400. It has killed alot of deer and wild hogs out to about 80 yds. I will keep my Ruger, if I need a boat anchor I will buy a couple of smiths.:drinks:

2ndAmendmentNut
09-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I have a Ruger New Vaquero in 45Colt (LC) with a 4 5/8” barrel. It’s a great shooter and it came that way. All the Rugers I own are great shooters, I did have a GP100 with some issues, but Ruger fixed them for me. I fear that this thread will turn into another one of those Ruger hate threads, but keep in mind 1 in 10 people write a good review, while 9 out of 10 will right a bad review.

gon2shoot
09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I've been fond of Rugers since I bought one (SBH) in 71. 99% of my SA are Rugers and a few of them have needed tweaked, but if I was gonna buy a DA 45 it'd be a Smiff.

I have used Ruger for years because I had a tendancy to push the envelope on loads, and wanted the extra strength they offered. They still have the strength, but to be honest I've been less than impressed with the out-of-the box quality of the last two I've bought.

just my dos centavos

odis
09-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I have owned a Redhawk in 44 mag. since the mid to late 80's. A truly fine revolver after I replaced the grips with Pachmeyers. Back in those days I don't recall any problems with Rugers having lock up and timing problems, just grips for 12 year olds and mediocre triggers. I could accept that, guns being next to unshootable or inaccurate is unacceptable. odis

BCB
09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I have 4 Ruger handguns...

Security-Six--357 Magnum
SRH--44 Magnum
Single-Six--22lr & 22 Magnum
Blackhawk--45LC

I have very acceptable groups for all of them but since this is about the 45LC, those are the groups I will show. I have honestly had very good luck with my Rugers. All shoot cast boolits with pretty good accuracy as far as I am concerned...

The follow groups (25 yards) were fired with the RCBS 45-270-SAA with 23.0 grains of H-110 @ 1218 fps...

Potsy
09-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Owned a few Rugers (including 2 .45 colts) and shot dozens. Don't really recall a real problem child, but then maybe my standards aren't that high.
My current Bisley has had the action and trigger tuned, target sights, and a few other bells and whistles, but the throats measured .4515" and the cylinder gap was around .004" so I didn't get anything too serious done. It can shoot better than I can.
I would think a Redhawk would be a fine gun (my experience is pretty limited to their single actions) but I wouldn't turn down a Smith.
I always wanted a Smit Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. Light, handy, and with standard loads should take a looong time to wear out.

dubber123
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Owned a few Rugers (including 2 .45 colts) and shot dozens. Don't really recall a real problem child, but then maybe my standards aren't that high.
My current Bisley has had the action and trigger tuned, target sights, and a few other bells and whistles, but the throats measured .4515" and the cylinder gap was around .004" so I didn't get anything too serious done. It can shoot better than I can.
I would think a Redhawk would be a fine gun (my experience is pretty limited to their single actions) but I wouldn't turn down a Smith.
I always wanted a Smit Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. Light, handy, and with standard loads should take a looong time to wear out.

I've got one of the S&W 625 Mountain Guns. Takes a while to wear them out with a good bit more than standard loads. I've shot a bunch of 320's at just under 1,100 fps. from mine, and it's still tight. I have made the decision to go to a lighter boolit and load. I've got bigger guns if I need more power. No point beating it up shooting cans. They are ALOT tougher than most people think though.

odis
09-15-2009, 10:41 PM
My Redhawk in 44 is a 5.5 inch one blued. I would rather it was a 4 inch and in 45 colt. It could be the perfect "only" gun, 250 to 270 gr. keiths with moderate charges of unique or red dot for personal defense up to 350 gr. slugs with 110 or 296 for really big stuff. Getting the throats reamed seems cheap enough and Hogue makes mono grips for less than a double sawbuck. I hope what ever you decide you have good luck with it.

jh45gun
09-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Well I can only report my expirience I have had some bad Rugers so it left me cold on them. Others milage may vary but I would not take a chance on one again unless I could shoot it first.

Potsy
09-16-2009, 07:12 AM
One great thing about the .45 Colt is that even non-ruger loads carry alot of swat.
A 260 grain Keith cruising along at 900-1000fps is nothing you want to try to stop with a catcher's mit.
Also, standard .45 colt loads are supposed to run around 15000CUP, 625's are chambered in .45 ACP which can run up to 21000CUP for +P loads.
For that matter, I know there's less meat there than on a Ruger, but there's a mighty big gap between the paltry 15000CUP of the .45 Colt and the booming 38000CUP of the .44 Mag, for which the mountain gun is also chambered.
To me, the beauty of the standard pressure loads is that fairly fast repeat shots should be possible with a light double action. With heay loads, it takes me a while to get back on track, particularly with a light gun. Of course, I don't get to practice as much as I'd like.

jh45gun
09-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree a 250/55 grain bullet loaded even at 850 FPS which is what I load still hits with authority. I see no need to hot rod this caliber.

bedwards
09-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I own two Rugers and have slugged both. They are both dead on as advertised and both shoot well. One is a 45 colt from the mid 90s Vaquero and one is from 2001 SRH 454. I shoot cast out of both with no leading if I don't get carried away with the pressures. They both like .452 or larger.

be

Bear4570
09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I'll start bu saying I am a die hard Smith Nut and my Smith to Ruger is at least 3:1

That being said I have a .44 5 1/2" Redhawk that is a death dealing hammer. With a 300 Gr LBT & 21.5 gr H110, It has put down every animal I have ever aimed it at. Accurate built like a tank, My second favorite hunting handgun.

My favorite being a Blackhawk 45 Colt that I customized with a Bisley Grip Frame, Hammer and Trigger and a steel ejector rod housing. @ 4 5/8" its a perfect packing pistol. Two weeks ago I fired the 20,000th round out of it. It has never seen a Jacketed Bullet. The only thing I had done to it by other than me was the cylinder throats were small at .450 so I sent the cylinder off to the Clyinder Smith about 5 years back and had it reamed to .4525. Cost of less than $30 and had it back in a week, improved my groups by 40%. I highly suggest anyone who buys a Ruger revolver to slug the bore and cylinder throats and load accordingly or as usually is the cast, have the cylinder throats reamed to .0005 over the bore size.
You will not be sorry.

Plain Base
09-18-2009, 04:42 AM
I've got nine Ruger SAs, ranging from a flattop .22lr to a Bisleys in .45 Colt. All exept the .22 are great shooters. I've got at least that many S&Ws, so I don't think I could be considered biased towards Ruger.

The only true lemon firearm I've ever owned, was a S&W M29 Classic. I bought it in '93 shortly after the series was released. The thing wouldn't hit a wall @ 3 feet, and the barrel leaded like crazy. The barrel was set too low in the frame------------so badly that the edge of the forcing cone was quickly showing wear after very few rounds. It went back to Smith twice, and the "repairs" were a joke (like reaming a huge forcing cone). The gun should have been cut in half and a new one shipped to me with a letter of apology. I got tired of paying to ship it east w/o the problem being fixed so I sold it. I'm not proud of myself for that, but it's what happened. I swore off new Smiths after that, and only collect older models. I'm not saying I won't end up with a bad Ruger someday, but it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, back to the original question. I've got the .45 Colt Redhawk on my short list of wants, and am not scared in the least about the quality and accuracy I'll get.

Newtire
09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
And now that SBH in .45 Colt for $370 doesn't seem like such a good deal anymore..??..don't need one anyway..I can resist! Thanks guys!

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2009, 01:35 PM
there is some good info and bad info in this post. Ive got quite a few 45s and have both rugers and smiths. Ive had others too but theyve gone down the line because i wont abide a sixgun that doesnt shoot well. Ive owned probably a half a dozen 25s through the years and can remember 2 that wouldnt shoot for squat. Both had oversized throats and theres no cheap cure for that. Ive had rugers that wouldnt shoot also but its usually a matter of some cheap gunsmithing and they shoot fine. That been said ive had much better luck through the years from both smith and ruger buying 44 mags then i have 45 colts. Im pleased when a 45 colt shoots 2 inch 25 yard groups and extatic when they shoot an inch. I about have come to expect one inch from a 44. Sure a ruger doesnt have the action that a smith has but smiths have gone down hill lately and for the price of a ruger and an action job youll still have enough money left over to buy a couple molds buying a ruger. I too get a bit angry about rugers quality control but im not one that buys a chev and expects it to ride like a caddy either. Bottom line is even with there flaws theres no better bang for the buck then a ruger handgun. To me there both a differnt gun. The smiths are finished a bit better but a ruger will take more abuse. My smiths rarely see loads more then a 1000 fps with a 250 and my rugers take over from there. there totaly differnt guns for totaly differnt applications.

odis
09-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Since this thread is about Redhawks in 45 colt my suggestion is to take a slug sized to .452 with you and ask the dealer if you can run it through the cylinder, if it feels right buy it, if it feels tight buy it and have the throats reamed. The throat reaming and a set of after market grips will give you a gun less expensive than a Smith and probably much more robust.

jh45gun
09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
That maybe true but it still goes against my grain that you should have to buy a factory gun and then "Gunsmith' it to get it right. To me that is just PEE POOR. Which is why I bought a Uberti this time around. Yea the Colt type sights are a bit to get used to but once I painted the top of the front sight white I can see to shoot it better and I am more than satisfied with it. I cannot honestly say that about the last two Ruger Single actions I owned.

LeMat
09-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Lots of pros and cons in this thread and that's good. I like to hear experience from both sides.

I'm still working on getting better accuracy at longer ranges and may just send the cylinder out to get reamed - that seems to be a given with Rugers in 45 Colt. But that's OK with me and I don't have a problem spending a few dollars when I consider that to be the only real problem area with it, coupled with the fact that the durability of the Redhawk simply gives me peace of mind when in bear country.

I like mine just fine.

C'mon, you know you want the Redhawk. ;-)

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/LeMat_photos/guns%20for%20forums/Redhawk014.jpg

jh45gun
09-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Not me I am fond of single actions but then I like the old style guns. A Remington Rolling Block in 45/70 A Winchester 94 30/30 and a Winchester Model 97 12 guage confirms that along with my now Uberti Single action in 45 colt. Only double action I ever owned was a Model Ten Smith and Wesson 38 Special. Nice gun but I like the feel of the single actions better.

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2009, 06:33 AM
dont know about that. I had a cimeron arms single action thats made by uberti. First trip to the range the front sight blade flew off of it and i never did get it to shoot much better then 3 inch at 25 yards.
That maybe true but it still goes against my grain that you should have to buy a factory gun and then "Gunsmith' it to get it right. To me that is just PEE POOR. Which is why I bought a Uberti this time around. Yea the Colt type sights are a bit to get used to but once I painted the top of the front sight white I can see to shoot it better and I am more than satisfied with it. I cannot honestly say that about the last two Ruger Single actions I owned.

Dogg
09-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Definetly a lot of difference of opinions! I think after reading all or these post, and I do thank everyone for giving me their opinions that I will probably take a chance and try to find a 4" Redhawk and hope it will shoot well. If it doesn't I will need some advice as to whom I can send it to to get the chambers reamedand throat opened since it sounds as if that is the main problem. Also probably needs trigger work.
Now just need to find a used one that is at a reasonable price.
Thanks again.
Dogg

jh45gun
09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Well LLoyd I did a lot of searching info on the net includeing here before I bought it and the general consensus was they are a well made accurate clone. that was good enough for me. Mine is not a Cimmaron but a Taylors. I have heard they are held in high regard too.

ole 5 hole group
09-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Well Dogg, you won't be disappointed with your purchase - but I think you would like a new model Bisley Blackhawk more, if you hunt with it, as it packs a whole lot easier.

Heavy lead
09-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I've got a lot of Rugers, in 45 too, they all shoot, but I had to make them shoot including cylinder work. I've also got two 625's in 45 Colt one a 3" heavy barrel, a special run that's as sweet as the come for a woods carry gun, and a mountain gun, of all of them those two would be the last two to go. But if you want to load the coal to them don't, get the Ruger. But a RCBS 270saa at 1000fps will do whatever needs doing.

jack19512
09-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I really like my Ruger SRH 454 Casull. :smile:

Dogg
09-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Single action blackhawks and the like are not workable for me, my hand is way to big for those tiny little grips and besides I shot double action 99% of the time with revolvers (which I haven't shot that much over the last 20 years). I really like the big Smiths especially the short barreled ones but what I plan to get needs to be able to digest the same rounds as my .45 colt lever guns and they are going to be getting some heavy loads, so the Redhawk is probably what I will get unless I can find a heavy Smith 3".