PDA

View Full Version : Good score for the first time?

ExcIsAc
09-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I've been reading various posts here for a while now and after learning a lot I finally checked a local tire shop for some WW. There happened to be a bucket full sitting outside that I was able to get.
After reading about zinc and the variety of trash that could be in a bucket I sorted it all to get an idea of what I was getting myself into. I had a knife handy to check a few of the weights at first as I wasn't too sure exactly what all the letters meant which were cast into the weights and I also had a small magnet on hand as well.
It didn't take long to find a couple zinc weights then I found one that looked a little different than any of the others. I touched it to the magnet and it turned out to steel. After a few minutes of this I was able to recognize some of the "culls" at a glance and confirmed them with a closer look.
All told, from that first bucket, I found 17 steel and 21 zinc weights. There were 17 pieces of scrap metal and a small amount of trash (paper, tire labels, etc.). The good part amounted to 10 pounds of stick-on and 140 pounds of lead WW. I thought this was pretty decent for my first score.:smile:

I am still getting the equipment organized to melt it all down but I am wondering what you guys do with your scrap clips and the zinc and steel weights? I am assuming you let them accumulate until you have a bucket full then take them to a recycler or are there some other options?

I am thinking this might turn into a slippery slope as I am already thinking about the lead flashing around the roof vents on my house since I am planning on replacing the shingles next weekend.

Funny part about this, I don't even shoot much. :veryconfu

Gunslinger
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Yes, indeed you did good... our young apprentice!

Personally I have a lot of zinc weights. I know a guy at the local scrap yard so I'll be paying him a visit soon to trade the zinc weights for some lead. Prolly won't get much lead but it'll be better than nothing.

Back when I was a lead-horney and disturbed young fella (bout 6 months ago he he) I even considered pulling the lead stick-on weights off of my dad's '69 Porsche 911... buuuuut i figured he'd start weeping if I did and decided to leave them be :roll:

Anyway welcome to the addiction. You say you don't shoot much!? Ha that's a good one, good luck trying to keep that up :-D

runfiverun
09-14-2009, 11:05 PM
you got a pretty average bucket there.
just watch out for sharp stuff in there.
welcome aboard

canyon-ghost
09-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Good going, you got the first bucket of wheelweight! The clips are usually the bulkiest part. After I burn all the crud off them, I usually spoon them off into a 3 lb. coffee can then, dump them in the dumpster. I could take them to a recycler but, as far away as I live, the gasoline I'd burn would negate it. All those 'cash for clunkers' will have to make up for it. [smilie=2:

evan price
09-15-2009, 01:57 AM
The zinc weights I save and sell with the cast aluminum and cast zinc stuff that goes to the recycler. The steel and other trash goes in with the sheetmetal and appliance scrap. I haul a couple trailers a year of sheet steel or car bodies so those get packed in a car trunk or in a dryer or something.

Matt_G
09-15-2009, 09:42 AM
you got a pretty average bucket there.
just watch out for sharp stuff in there.
welcome aboard

+1
Especially the part about sharp stuff.
I did 3 buckets this past weekend and found a razor blade in one of them. :shock:
Luckily, I didn't find it the hard way.