PDA

View Full Version : BP cartridge forum?

shooter575
04-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I have thought about this before and it was just brought up again by
Sundog.Anyway with all of the old smokepoles we have been resurrecting from the wall,maybe we need a septrate forum for them. With Buckshots
Brazilian Comblain,Snider.And all of the other oldies we have stashed in the back of the safe,Maybe it is time.If we get enough intrest maybe
Gunload Master will set one up?

sundog
04-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Jim, that would work for me, too. sundog

Black Powder Cartidge

I might not ever get to where I want to go, but it'd hep!

Gunload Master
04-15-2006, 01:09 AM
If enough people show intrust in this. It can be done for sure.

Finn45
04-15-2006, 01:33 AM
+1 for BPC forum.

omgb
04-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Actually, there already is a forum called BPCR. Unfortunately, a great many of the guys over there, but not all, are stufed shirts and none-too-easy to deal with. If you aren't shooting either a Shiloh, Meecham High Wall or an original, you aren't spit to more than a few of those guys.

GregP42
04-15-2006, 06:37 AM
I too would not mind seeing one on here. I have shot a couple of matches, but I am still a noobe to the whole BPCR thing, but it is lots of fun.

Greg

shooter575
04-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Actually, there already is a forum called BPCR. Unfortunately, a great many of the guys over there, but not all, are stufed shirts and none-too-easy to deal with. If you aren't shooting either a Shiloh, Meecham High Wall or an original, you aren't spit to more than a few of those guys.

I know that there are other sites around,My thought is to just have another listing added right here.That way we have the same rools,cast of characters.Under control ? of OUR people
Gee,does that make us stufed shirts?

waksupi
04-15-2006, 09:40 AM
I think the simplest way to go about adding a BPCR section, would to be to add it to the front stuffer forum. Retype the title, and thar ya go!

Dale53
04-15-2006, 10:53 AM
I think that the BPCR forum is a good idea. I shot BPCR-Sil for fifteen years (until my vision dropped me from contention).

Good game.

Dale53

SharpsShooter
04-15-2006, 11:07 AM
I'd like to see one here. It is a logical place to have a BPCR forum keeping in mind that with only a few exceptions, cast boolits are the projectile of choice for BPCR.

omgb
04-15-2006, 12:33 PM
I know that there are other sites around,My thought is to just have another listing added right here.That way we have the same rools,cast of characters.Under control ? of OUR people
Gee,does that make us stufed shirts?

Not even. Nobody here is anywhere near as caustic and arrogant as some of the guys who post over there. [smilie=1: In all fairness, there are a boat load of guys who are genuinely helpful and polite on BPCR. There are a few however, who can hardly wait for some newbie to open his peep so that they can shove their experience and bias right down his pie hole. Dick Trenk, the USA Pedersoli rep gets flamed almost the minute he opens his mouth over there. Way too sad .... because he's a decent guy who knows his stuff.

Any way, I would love to see a BPCR forum added to this site. I shoot almost as much BP as I do smokeless and of course, I use cast bullets to do it. Count me in.:drinks:

Wayne Smith
04-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Esteemed Board

Not all BCPR shooting is competition shooting. That fact seems to have missed the BCPR-Sil. crowd. I shoot my 44-40's in black, my 40-70 Sharps with Black, and will be shooting my combination gun in black. I've never shot competition in my life and have no intention to start, in spite of the USA team winning the World BCPR contest in South Africa.

Put me in complete favor of starting a BCPR place here. I think it would be very helpful.

mooman76
04-15-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd go for that too! I have a dark side!

45nut
04-15-2006, 02:06 PM
I think the simplest way to go about adding a BPCR section, would to be to add it to the front stuffer forum. Retype the title, and thar ya go!

Would that work for you guys? It already has the holy black subject content.:castmine:

KTN
04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
I´m in for BPCR forum.

Kaj

hydraulic
04-15-2006, 07:36 PM
You Bet! I came here from the old Shooters page because the guys here are GENTLEMEN! I shoot the trapdoor match at 1st Dakota Infantry in South Dakota, and would like to see a BPCR site as good as Cast Boolits.

Rod B
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I would like to see a BP forum. I only have one BP rifle, its a Browning BPCR in .45/70. Any hints tips etc would be of great value to me.

Rod.:)

kodiak1
04-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Speaking of Dark sides I have to confess have an urge every so often to take a lung full of inky acrid smoke.
Would love to see the forum also.

rocklock
04-15-2006, 11:52 PM
I'd also appreciate a BPCR forum. I like to hear how others got some of the old odd-balls up and running again.

shooter575
04-16-2006, 09:08 AM
I think the front stuffers and the BPCR should have their own forum in the same section.ie BP section.Anyway it is up to you all.

bart55
04-16-2006, 10:14 AM
I also would like to have one here because of the same reasons prreviously mentioned I have shot a few bp arms that have been resurected a 577 snider 43 reformado , trapdoor 45 70 50 70 rolling block and a couple more that I just like to load black for . Came in second in my first match ( trapdoor ) last year lots of fun all newbees scores were not too great but we al l had fun .

McLintock
04-16-2006, 01:58 PM
I think it's a great idea to add BPC to the current BP forum here. I read the others (BPCR.net, Shilohrife.com, BPCRgroups, etc.) for information, but rarely say anything because of the "attitude" mentioned by others already. A forum is needed that covers a more broad spectrum of stuff, like, has anyone ever loaded 43 Egyptian with black powder; what's a good bullet?
McLintock

floodgate
04-16-2006, 02:48 PM
I too would like to see a BPC forum here. With moderate experience with both over some 50 years, I feel there are enough differences in approach that the ML and BPC topics might better be kept in separate forums; but as I normally read all the posts twice daily on the "Today" show, I would catch them all anyway - so I'll go with whatever the majority wants. Plus any problem GLM has with setting up and running "just one more..." forum.

floodgate

Blackwater
04-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Count me in too for a BPCR forum. Separating it from the muzzleloading section would alleviate those who don't shoot ML'ers from having to wade through an excess of threads, but I'll take it either way. I shoot both, so it wouldn't affect me. Try to read the ML section as often as I can here.

montana_charlie
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I visit several Single Shot and BPCR boards every day. I was happy to find this place for the information targeted at bullet casting.

If a section devoted to BPCR-type guns is created here, it should be remembered that there is a sizable fraternity of owners of these rifles who prefer smokeless powder...and some even like jacketed bullets.

Personally, I prefer to stick with the charcoal-based propellant, but I hope I will never see a response here like the one below.

A guy had asked a question (on the GOEX site) about the use of jacketed bullets in a .45-70, and one of the replies was, "What you're gonna have is a "bastardized" version of something that I'm fearful to describe! If you're gonna shoot jacketed bullets.....just go ahead and shoot smokeless....and be done with it!!"

This form of 'ultra-traditionalist' prejudice leaks out from the Shiloh site to rear it's head in the other BPCR forums. At Shiloh, the bias is so strong that (in a recent thread) it was evident that the 'annointed' consider all modern Sharps pattern rifles to be replicas...except their own brand.

I still read there because it was the first BPCR forum I found. I am glad there are others, and would be happy participate in one here...as a seeker of information...more than a provider.
CM

waksupi
04-17-2006, 10:59 PM
I visit several Single Shot and BPCR boards every day. I was happy to find this place for the information targeted at bullet casting.

If a section devoted to BPCR-type guns is created here, it should be remembered that there is a sizable fraternity of owners of these rifles who prefer smokeless powder...and some even like jacketed bullets.

Personally, I prefer to stick with the charcoal-based propellant, but I hope I will never see a response here like the one below.

A guy had asked a question (on the GOEX site) about the use of jacketed bullets in a .45-70, and one of the replies was, "What you're gonna have is a "bastardized" version of something that I'm fearful to describe! If you're gonna shoot jacketed bullets.....just go ahead and shoot smokeless....and be done with it!!"

This form of 'ultra-traditionalist' prejudice leaks out from the Shiloh site to rear it's head in the other BPCR forums. At Shiloh, the bias is so strong that (in a recent thread) it was evident that the 'annointed' consider all modern Sharps pattern rifles to be replicas...except their own brand.

I still read there because it was the first BPCR forum I found. I am glad there are others, and would be happy participate in one here...as a seeker of information...more than a provider.
CM

Charlie, you hit the nail on the head. This is why I quit active competition years ago in BPCR. Still do a few small matches, but got tired of the superior beings, who didn't have much else going for them.
I would think if a section is opened on this board, it should welcome information on all loading methods. Those cheap milsurp powders are awful attractive in those big cases. I'll leave the Swiss powder to the elite.

chuebner
04-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey Kodiak1,
Be very, very careful inhaling blackpowder smoke. It is proven to be highly addictive and incredibly difficult to kick.

For my 2 cents, I would not mind seeing a BPCR section here. Personally all I shoot is cast in both black and the new passing fad powder. Can't remember the last time I shot a condomized bullet.

Charlie

OldBob
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I would sure like to see it, have shot ML for a looong time but just starting to work on the BPCR with some help from Blackwater and some friends on another forum. I'll take all the info and direction I can get ! May not follow it worth a hoot, but I'll surely give it consideration.....:) :)

montana_charlie
04-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Uhh...chuebner and OldBob...it has already started, and you're missin' out!

It's located between Surplus Powder and Leverguns...
CM

Blackwater
04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Thankee kindly, gents! Much obliged!

Gussy
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Since that is 90% of my shooting (.22 is the other10%) I would have an interest also.
Gus