PDA

View Full Version : First ingots smelted tonight.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Got everything set up and running tonight. Smelted my first batch of wheel weights. Things went ok and I learned a few things, have some observations and have more questions.

Observations:

1. 2/3'rds of a pot of dirty wheelweights in my dutch oven equals about enough melt to fill all three of my molds. I end up with about one inch of melted clean lead in the bottom of the pot.

2. I have to find a more level spot for my molds, even if I have to go inside the garage a little bit. The driveway at the end is just not level enough (doh!!) I didn't spill anything, but filling have the mold, then reversing it and filling the other half was a pain in the neck.

3. My stainless steel soup ladle isn't big enough to fill the individual modes I made in one scoop. I am going to either have to use smaller ingot molds (muffin pans) or made a different type of liquid melt scoop or another, better solution.

4. I think a skinnier (3-4") wide would be better, like the one 454PB posted on the "gettini back into casting" thread.

5. As I began to run out of melted lead, I was getting a "skim" on the top of the lead. I also noticed a bit of what looked like dirt right at the end. I am probably going to have to flux better.

6. My new ingots are ugly, but pretty at the same time. It's nice to have the thing moved along from "thinkin bout it" to "doin it." I did like filling them all up and letting them cool. I just lined them all up and moved from one trough to the next, pretty efficient.

7. Until I get a pot similar to 454PB's pot, I'm goin ta dig out my skinner dutch over and use that to cast.

8. My turkey fryer can handle the weight. It seems like it takes forever to get the stuff to melt, but then, when it's melted, it seems "sudden."

Questions:

1. I used sawdust to flux with and I couldn't find my wax candles because the old lady packed them somewhars. Would someone experienced in smelting the larger batches using a turkey fryer or other non bottom pour pot please be kind enough to pontificate on the fluxing process for me? I think I'm not doing enough of it or I'm missing something.

2. 454BP, would you be kind enough to give me a closer pic of your melting pot? I think I'll really like the design and it'll work on my turkey fryer burner. I'm wanting to copy it. Yes, the durn big pot got too hot to handle, so I was stuck scrabblin in the bottom for the last dribbles. I didn't like that too much. I'm thinking a quicker melt equals less gas used and a smaller pot like yours equals clean, dump and restart the process faster.

3. Someone talked about fluxing with borax. Is this better for smelting or for casting?

4. Ok, what am I missing you fellers are seeing in my observations?

Thanks for helping me out and getting me going.

Regards,

Dave

Ken O
04-14-2006, 10:16 PM
I made the smelting pot designed by Kenjudo. I used a stock pot bought from a dollar store (cheap). There is a sticky thread in the Casting equipment section, here is the link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=707

Goatlips
04-14-2006, 10:40 PM
DaveIFBV, on point 8 -

"8. My turkey fryer can handle the weight. It seems like it takes forever to get the stuff to melt, but then, when it's melted, it seems "sudden.""

You prob'ly noticed that once you get a puddle of melt on the bottom for the rest to sink into, things go pretty fast. Lacking a weed burner, you might try your run-of-the-mill propane torch, going in from the top and concentrating on the steel clips. Things start flying along then.

Goatlips

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Goatlips,

"You prob'ly noticed that once you get a puddle of melt on the bottom for the rest to sink into, things go pretty fast."

I think you have it analyzed pretty well. What's the smart way for me to keep the melt going? Leave some in the bottom and dump in new wheel weights?

"Lacking a weed burner, you might try your run-of-the-mill propane torch, going in from the top and concentrating on the steel clips. Things start flying along then."

My plan is to pick up a weed burner from Harbor Freight. By chance do you have the harbor freight number for the weed burner? also, does it need it's own propane tank?

Thanks,

Dave

Goatlips[/QUOTE]

Dale53
04-14-2006, 11:59 PM
There IS a risk leaving an inch or so of molten metal in the bottom of the pot to speed up the next batch. If you get any wheel weights with condensation or in the winter, ice or snow, on the new wheelweights and drop them into the pot with the molten metal you will get a BAD surprise. There is no doubt that it is faster but now that I am older (and slower :???:) I wonder if it is worth it to save five minutes or so?

I now just ladle out until I am nearly finished then pick up the pot by the bale and pour the last bit into the moulds. Then I start over again. If I have something in the wheel weights (even a juicy insect) it will dry up before the ww's start to melt.

Just a thought...

Dale53 (you know, the guy that "papered" his friends's garage ceiling with lead[smilie=1: )

Dale53
04-15-2006, 12:03 AM
There IS a risk leaving an inch or so of molten metal in the bottom of the pot to speed up the next batch. If you get any wheel weights with condensation or in the winter, ice or snow, on the new wheelweights and drop them into the pot with the molten metal you will get a BAD surprise. There is no doubt that it is faster but now that I am older (and slower:???:) I wonder if it is worth it to save five minutes or so?

I now just ladle out until I am nearly finished then pick up the pot by the bail and pour the last bit into the moulds. Then I start over again. If I have something in the wheel weights (even a juicy insect) it will dry up before the ww's start to melt when you start again from scratch.

Just a thought...

Dale53 (you know, the guy that "papered" his friends's garage ceiling with lead[smilie=1: )

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Well, so much for adding more onion rings to the hot grease idea. Thank you for that information Dale.

Regards,

Dave

buck1
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
The guys above are 100% right. BUT with caution , I add wts to the melted mix. But I have a long handled scoop and I dress for a forest fire, with safty glasses and the works.
A few times I had the pot spit at me fairly bad. But I started to PREHEAT my wts in a pan over hanging the melt. This takes care of MOST of my trouble/ but not all of it.
I once melted a lead pipe that had been stored in a DRY shop for 10+ years.
The only thing that saved me was DUMB LUCK. It blew lead everywhere!
I stay way back when pipes are involved now.
Be cautious....Buck