PDA

View Full Version : Casting with two pots

plumber
09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I've read that some of you use two pots, one for casting and one to get metal hot. How do you transfer, ladle? Just something I'm wondering about. Thinking of getting a Lee 10# to help feed the 20#.

dragonrider
09-13-2009, 09:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/th_IMG_0107.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/?action=view&current=IMG_0107.jpg)

plumber
09-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Sweet!
You guys are freaking awesome!
This site has become another habit, everyone is so willing to help. Even a pain in the **** noob like me!
Thanks everyone!

runfiverun
09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
try a 20 lb on top of a 40 lb magma i run outta steam long before i run outta lead.

mold maker
09-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Yep, I use a ladle, but my setup has to be stored between use. Dragonrider has a great idea.

kbstenberg
09-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Plumber.
I am new an lacking most tools needed. So i improvise. I preheat lead on a hotplate in an old sauce pan. Hotplate can be bought new at Walleyworld (15$) or used at secondhand store. Pot could just disappear from SHMBO's cabinets.

plumber
09-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Plumber.
I am new an lacking most tools needed. So i improvise. I preheat lead on a hotplate in an old sauce pan. Hotplate can be bought new at Walleyworld (15$) or used at secondhand store. Pot could just disappear from SHMBO's cabinets.

I like the hotplate idea, really need to get one. I could also use it to melt my lube. I'd better get a couple sauce pans while I'm at Wally World. Having a wife that wants to load and shoot with me has it's downsides, Ive been busted on everything I've stolenfrom the kitchen.

HeavyMetal
09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Dragonrider has a nice set up!

I did something similar except I made a steel frame from angle iron.

An old Lyman Mold Master sits on the bottom and I used a Lee 10Lb pot with the base reversed and a couple holes drilled in it for the top pot.

This make a nice sturdy platform that won't tip over, or get knocked over, by accident.

works well with my Lee 6 bangers.

hammerhead357
09-14-2009, 01:04 AM
I use 4 RCBS promelt pots to cast with. They are set up with one above the other just like dragonriders but I have two sets of them. These feed my H & G moulds well and I feed the premelt or top pot with an old linotype ingot feeder so the temp. doesn't vary much and the casting pot level stays about the same for the same head pressure...Wes

20nickels
09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
bump, Also interested in piggybacking pots. Lyman Mag 20 has a hard time keeping up with my Lee six banger mould. I'm considering putting a Lee 10lb bottom pour up top and trough/ramp between them.

Shiloh
09-14-2009, 05:54 PM
It's a great idea. If one is casting heavier boolits from a LEE six-banger, you can go through a pot of lead in a hurry. Two pots keeps your casting pot full of hot alloy.

Shiloh

hammerhead357
09-15-2009, 12:24 AM
20 I don't know about a trough or ramp in between You might have a hard time keeping it hot. But it might be worth a try. I just piggyback mine and it has worked for over 25 years for me.
I wish I could justify the cost of one of the 90 lb Magma furnaces but since I no longer cast as a commercial caster it won't fly around here. I think I could feed one of these pots with an old lino feeder and the temp. wouldn't vary much and the head pressure would remain about the same.
I know most of this is not for the home caster but I guess I haven't given up the tinkering that I did when I was a commercial caster and trying to improve my methods...Wes

20nickels
09-16-2009, 03:22 PM
20 I don't know about a trough or ramp in between You might have a hard time keeping it hot. But it might be worth a try. I just piggyback mine and it has worked for over 25 years for me.
I wish I could justify the cost of one of the 90 lb Magma furnaces but since I no longer cast as a commercial caster it won't fly around here. I think I could feed one of these pots with an old lino feeder and the temp. wouldn't vary much and the head pressure would remain about the same.
I know most of this is not for the home caster but I guess I haven't given up the tinkering that I did when I was a commercial caster and trying to improve my methods...Wes

Hmmm, I suppose I could just put the spout directly above, but my concern was molten lead splashing from the spout when it hit the bottom pot. Has this been a problem for you?