PDA

View Full Version : Lee Shaver sites ?

6.5 mike
09-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Other than the hadley eyecup, what is the difference between his soule site & the economy models ? I've looked at Baco's site but can't really see that much detail.
Would the economy model work for informal target shooting using a shaver globe front with level ? I'm looking for something with a little finer adjustment than a marbles, plus they do look good.
I have learned how the globe site works & have been amazed how much more accurate they are. This would be for a hiwall in 30-40 krag.
This has been such a great learning experence I'm going to get a sharps to play with next. Aways kinda wanted a 45-70.

redneckdan
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
The bases are also much easier to interchange. Ie you buy one sight and bases for multiple rifles. Remember, buy once...cry once. I'm planning to get one of his deluxe sights for my buffalo classic sometime this fall. Ya, the sight costs more than the rifle but then when I finally get a 1885 I already have the sight.

August
09-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Econo sights are com-block sourced. His real sights are made by him, here.

The whole enchelada with sights is their repeatability. If they do that, they're usable. If they don't, they're useless.

The econos don't do that.

6.5 mike
09-13-2009, 08:08 PM
redneckdan, I didn't think about changing the site between rifles. That is something to consider. Knowing me once it's mounted, that's where it will stay. And I wouldn't worry that the site costing more then the rifle, I've shot $100 mausers with high end redfield scopes for years. Rifles do come & go, BUT the redfields stay with me.

6.5 mike
09-13-2009, 08:36 PM
August, that puts a new spin on things, didn't know the economys were com-bloc.
Sounds like you've had some experence with shavers sites. The range I use only goes to 200 yds. but it would be nice to shoot at 100, move to 200, then be able to reset the site without having to start at square 1.
Everything I've read here, states repeatability is one of the most important things in this style of site. After montana charlie posted how the "points" worked, I think I'm starting to understand how you are able to do this. I've never had one of these in my hand, so trying to figure how it works kinda escapes me.
And to you MC, your graph has made all these little marks make sense, thanks to all.

montana_charlie
09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Econo sights are com-block sourced. His real sights are made by him, here.

The whole enchelada with sights is their repeatability. If they do that, they're usable. If they don't, they're useless.

The econos don't do that.August, that puts a new spin on things, didn't know the economys were com-bloc.
Sounds like you've had some experence with shavers sites. The range I use only goes to 200 yds. but it would be nice to shoot at 100, move to 200, then be able to reset the site without having to start at square 1.
Everything I've read here, states repeatability is one of the most important things in this style of site. After montana charlie posted how the "points" worked, I think I'm starting to understand how you are able to do this. I've never had one of these in my hand, so trying to figure how it works kinda escapes me.
And to you MC, your graph has made all these little marks make sense, thanks to all.
The internet is full of inaccurate information...some of it presented by people who want to help...but don't know the facts.

Mike, you were on the BACO site when you were looking at Shaver's sights. So, you didn't get a lot of detail about the differences between the 'economy' and 'deluxe' grades.

Shaver started out buying Italian sight parts from Pedersoli, and building those into Soule sights. They were pretty 'basic', but they didn't cost much.

Then, he started building his own sights from scratch. That was the birth of the 'economy' grade available today.
Eventually, he also started building very high-quality Soule sights.

He never used communist-bloc parts...which (apparently) some people believe.
He no longer uses Italian parts...something that some people still believe he does.

If you would like to get your information straight from Lee Shaver, here is one place to do that...
http://shop.ebay.com/sidehammer/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

I have a Shaver 'economy' Soule on my rifle. It satisfies me.

As for the differences...
The 'economy uses a different base and spring, so it does not allow you to adjust the angle of the staff when it is in shooting position. The spring is not an adjustable type.
So, you tell him which style of rifle the sight will be mounted on, and it will come to you cut for the correct 'lean' angle.

The 'economy' doesn't include a Hadley eyepiece, but one can be had for extra money.

Otherwise, there are no other functional differences...
CM

GOPHER SLAYER
09-13-2009, 09:45 PM
6.5 Mike, I just tried the Lee Shaver web site and it is still not up and running. I understand he sold the sight business but I don't know to whom. I have one of his high end tang sights and an extra base. The rubber '0' ring comes in handy when the eyecup comes in contact with your eyebrow.I changed the stem to another highwall just once, way to much trouble to put it back and resight it. The real advantage to the more expensive sight is it's abillity to change to angle of the stem.There were several threads on this site dicussing what had happened to Lee. I forget just where. I wish I had bought another stem when his shop was still up and running.

NickSS
09-14-2009, 06:32 AM
I own both sights from shaver the econo shights are usable and they are a good buy at the price he charges for them. His delux sights are better for two reasons. first you get a Hadley eye cup with it and you can get bases that fit other rifles. The other issue is that the adjustments are repeatable to a good degree on the and better than the repeatability of the econo model. I have the econo model on a Pedersoli roller That I mostly use for 200 yard matches. I have the deluxe on my silhouette rifle where I am changing between stages at times going from 500 meters down to 200 meters. I want my sight repeatable so that I do not have to try to sight it in during the limited time I have to shoot the stage and take sighters.

bullshot
09-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Mike
I also have both sights. What Montana Charlie says is correct. The difference is in the mounting bases and springs that determine the vertical position of the staff. I have Hadley cups on both versions . For informal shooting either sight is fine. Having both sights and if I was going to buy again I would not go for the economy sight. The economy sight is not as positive in returning to vertical on recoil.

6.5 mike
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks to all for your help. Looks like a lee shaver mid-range will be in my future. This should cover what I need.