PDA

View Full Version : Problem 91 Argentine

badgeredd
09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I came into a 91 Argentine Mauser this weekend, cheap. ONE problem that I have no idea how to fix. The extractor is broken! I have stipped the bolt down, and can't figure out how to remove the broken extractor or, for that matter how to install a new one.

I ordered a new one from E-gunparts.com (Numrich) and when it gets here I'd like to get the gun back together and ready to shoot. I'd guess that at least one guy here knows the answer so I am asking for your help. HELP!!!!!:bigsmyl2:

I didn't really need another one but some things are just too good to pass up. At least that is my story:lol:

Thanks in advance guys. Please save my bacon!

Edd

Pavogrande
09-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I made one for mine many moons ago -- If I remember correctly it is dovetailed into the bolt and slides in from the bolt face. - tap it forward towards the chamber to remove -- Only about 5/16" of its length is dovetailed. ---

bruce drake
09-13-2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/index.asp

disassembly with pictures. Too simple once you see the pictures.

Bruce

badgeredd
09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
I made one for mine many moons ago -- If I remember correctly it is dovetailed into the bolt and slides in from the bolt face. - tap it forward towards the chamber to remove -- Only about 5/16" of its length is dovetailed. ---

After wedging a thin blade screw driver under the thing (to get it past the little tit on the back side), it slid right out like you said. Many thanks. NOW I am ready for the new extractor. I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. It is totally different than any other Mauser extractor I've worked with in the past, therefore the request for help. :bigsmyl2:

Edd

StarMetal
09-13-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/index.asp

disassembly with pictures. Too simple once you see the pictures.

Bruce

That's the claw type extractor like on the 93 and up. The 91 has a round bolt with nothing along side it. The extractor is dovetailed in the nose of the bolt.

Joe

MtGun44
09-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Your broken extractor is an example of why Mauser changed to the 93 style
long system and retained it thru the 98 design. The long Mauser extractor has
proven to be pretty much unbreakable. I'm sure someone has broken one
somewhere, but they are pretty rare. Many sporting rifles today retain the
long external Mauser claw extractor since it is known to be very robust.

Bill

bruce drake
09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Whoops, I'm sorry for that!

Bill, thanks for the catch!

Bruce