PDA

View Full Version : new guy needing some help

Ajax
09-13-2009, 12:24 PM
i am new to the whole reloading and cast bullet scene. i am wondering is there any good write ups or for dummies books i can buy.

Andy

JesterGrin_1
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
ABC's of Reloading Book is good. Then the Lyman Cast boolit loading book and the Lyman 49th edition reloading book.

But after you have those three this IS THE BEST PLACE TO BE FOR GOOD INFO. :)

Ajax
09-13-2009, 01:49 PM
thanks jester i have the lyman reloading manual but i gonna have to order the lyman cast bullet book.
thanks again for recommending them to me.

Andy

runfiverun
09-13-2009, 02:00 PM
since this is in the levergun area a bit of advice r.n.f.p.
round nose flat point look for a good driving band,a decent sized lube groove and a decent sized flat point.
they are leverguns best friend and can be used for bout anything you can do with the gun hunt target cowboy etc.
pick a good medium load with a medium to slower end powder and fidget with it till it's close to your sights then mak and shoot a ton of them.

crabo
09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
i am new to the whole reloading and cast bullet scene. i am wondering is there any good write ups or for dummies books i can buy.

Andy

When I started this journey, I started some notes in Word. I would copy and paste information on different subjects. As I would read, I would start seeing some basic information repeated over and over.

As I learned more, I learned to ask better questions. I would start reading the stickys at the start of each section. If you read enough you will get quite a good education. Then you start the practical part.

I would recommend starting with one gun and one caliber and get your feet wet. Don't start with trying to load and cast for a bunch of different guns all at once. Pistols and revolvers are a great place to start. Don't try for max velocities at first. Keep it simple and enjoy yourself.

Plumb Center
09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Go to this web site. It's a Yahoo group---you'll need to join. You can download the book and exel tables for free. Or buy on CD for $5 or print version for $27. It's called Cast Bullets for Beginners and Experts. Most comprehensive cast bullet techniques book I've found. Check it out.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/

Jim

waksupi
09-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Check the classics and stickies on this board. They will answer 99% of your questions!

Welcome aboard!

JesterGrin_1
09-13-2009, 05:12 PM
bigthicketthunter you should stop right now or you are going to go down a long road of never ending learning as well as to find new friends and to save money on shooting lol.

This is one of those hobbies that you feel that you will just do a few small things and then before you know it your reloading items become HUGE lol.

I have only been reloading for a little over 2 years now of which I can go by my join date of this site lol.

It started simple enough lol. I purchased a Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag and could not get it to shoot worth a darn. So I came here looking for information to help.

And well now I load for and cast for .38Sp/.357Mag .44Sp/.44Mag 30-06 learning lol. As well as .243 also learning and 45-70 for my Marlin 1895.

And when I started everything fit on a 4 foot wide by 2 foot table lol. And now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0047.jpg

And it has grown since I made this pic lol.

Sorry for the Mess but this is the little table I started on when I thought wrongly it was all I would need lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Picture024.jpg

Ajax
09-13-2009, 05:29 PM
i am thinking of just using the lee loaders till i retire from the service and move back to Texas.

Andy

peter nap
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd show you a real mess but I'm too ashamed.

Bigthickethunter. I've been reloading for many years (Decades) but am new at casting. Spend some time here just reading the old threads.
There is a library of information here..

Ajax
09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
i have been reading for better ana week and got got close to 45% thru all of it yet but god there is so much info.

Andy

JesterGrin_1
09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Bigthicketthunter do not even try to take it all in at one time lol. Just concentrate on one cartrige at a time. And ask questions about what you wish to load for to give you a start. Such as what type of rifle or pistol you wish to load for and what range you wish to use it for and for what.

That way you can narrow your search down to the type of boolits you would need and what size as well as loadings.

But before you decide on the size of a boolit you will need to slug your bore. You can find all that information here on this site. :)

largom
09-13-2009, 07:32 PM
i have been reading for better ana week and got got close to 45% thru all of it yet but god there is so much info.

Andy

You will never remember it all the first time thru. TAKE NOTES, a lot of notes. By noteing the highlites you will not have to re-read the whole thread to get to the meat of the subject.

I have lots of books and take lots of notes [55 yrs. of handloading] but you will find that this site is the WORLD BOOK of Knowledge when it comes to cast boolits and loading.

With that said I offer this piece of advice. Regardless of what you read, use common sense and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are NO dumb questions, only dumb answers.

Larry

peter nap
09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Go to this web site. It's a Yahoo group---you'll need to join. You can download the book and exel tables for free. Or buy on CD for $5 or print version for $27. It's called Cast Bullets for Beginners and Experts. Most comprehensive cast bullet techniques book I've found. Check it out.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/

Jim

Jim, I just downloaded the book.
Very nice...Thank!

Ajax
09-14-2009, 08:37 AM
i will be reloading for the 30-30. once i retire i will not be able to afford to shoot as much unless i reload. i am thinking i am gonna get a set of 30-30 dies i already have a press for reloaing pistols which i have done very little of. i reloaded a few 45 acp the traded the gun and pres for 4 rifles and the i bought the new press and dies for 45 colt then decided i didnt like that gun so i sold it. but i am in love with my 30-30 plus i am mainly a deer hunter. sorry seems i rambled a little there. thanks again for the help guys.

Andy

Bret4207
09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Do not depend on one source of information. The downloaded book is very limited in it's scope and the information in it is all right here. Get the Lyman book, consider Veral Smiths book (available from LBT) and Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Wolfe Publishing has their excellent "Cast Bullet Collection" on CD and there are many older books covering cast rather well.