PDA

View Full Version : Trophies?

odinohi
09-13-2009, 05:44 AM
I read somewhere on this forum that older trophies were made of pewter. I was at a garage sale and there was a box of trophies from the early 80's to the early 90's. The lady said she had 3 more boxes inside that I could for free. I took the home and dismantled them. Checking by cutting into them with my pocket knife they appeared to be zinc. Some were plastic. How old do trophies need to be to be made of pewter? Thanks, Tom

Shiloh
09-13-2009, 10:15 AM
They are pot metal. Often they are some sort of plasticized metal that has been brass plated. My suggestion is to keep them out of your smelting and melting equipment.

No good can come of it.

Shiloh

odinohi
09-13-2009, 10:24 AM
They are pot metal. Often they are some sort of plasticized metal that has been brass plated. My suggestion is to keep them out of your smelting and melting equipment.

No good can come of it.

Shiloh
Thanks Shiloh. Still learning alot from this place. Great to hang out here. Tom

357maximum
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
The trophies that were made of pewter are almost always circa 1950's or before. Needle in a haystack anymore.

odinohi
09-13-2009, 06:19 PM
The trophies that were made of pewter are almost always circa 1950's or before. Needle in a haystack anymore.

See, just learned a little more. Thanks, Tom

Sprue
09-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I have some trophy'a from the from the mid sixties and they're more or less junk, even then.