PDA

View Full Version : Mould for 303Brit ?312-160-2R

BigDaddie
09-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Has anyone had any success with this particular boolit in 303brit?

I have a No4 MkI* with a good tight 2 groove bore slugging in at 303" lands & 309" grooves.

As per my previous post re 8mm, I want to shoot cast in our service matches here out to 500m.

Any suggestions on a mould for this rifle would be great.

Cheers,

BD

JeffinNZ
09-13-2009, 02:00 AM
I would be surprised if a two groove was .309 in the grooves. They are generally fat. The Lee bullet will likely be too skinny for you. Have a surf around this site and you will find HEAPS on the .303 British. I suggest you look at a mould from Cast Bullet Engineering in NSW.

www.castbulletengineering.com

madsenshooter
09-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Got to agree with Jeff, are you sure you upset the slug fully into the grooves? Just pushing one through won't do, you might have to put a rod against something solid then give the other end of the slug a couple good whacks via another rod to expand the slug. Then again, you might just have what you say.

dromia
09-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Does sound a bit tight on the grooves.

The Lyman 314299 should fit your bore diameter well.

The "Perfect" .303" boolit is current being run as a GB by NOE based on the 314299 bore rider how ever its speccied at .305" on the nose and that could be a tad tight if your bore is a true .303".

Have you done a chamber/throat/bore slug/cast? If not then that information would help in making your choice and confirm groove diameter.

I like Loverins for 2 groovers so a fat 311 could be an answer.

303Guy
09-13-2009, 03:33 AM
You may find the two-groove doesn't like cast boolits. You might have better luck if you leave the gas check off. What happens with a two-groove is the boolit is swaged doen to groove diam and the boolit base gets distorted. By leaving off the gas check the rebated heel does not suffer the distortion. Loverin boolits don't have that much material to displace and have somewhere for the displaced material to go. I would suggest the Loverin design. Keep velocity low as there is not much land area to spin the boolit and the boolit tends to wear into the lands, opening up a gas cutting leak!

Here one can see the distorted base (the same thing happens with lube-grooved boolits)
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-871F.jpg

Here the wear into the land impression is clear.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-644F.jpg

I wouldn't want to be at the wrong end of that boolit!

This what a fired bullet should look like. One can see exactly what the bore does to the boolit. This bullet style is very accurate in the two-groove.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-201F.jpgSee the difference in groove width?

BigDaddie
09-13-2009, 06:38 AM
Right...I'll re-slug and confirm those dimensions. I didn't think that the slug may not be fully obturating. You learn something new very day!

303guy, I see what you are saying with the 2 groove barrel. I have had reasonable groups before with cast in this rifle using GC's 180 Lee's. Like yours, it shoots the 174 J boolits like a dream...but they are not as fun as making your own. :drinks: