PDA

View Full Version : lube/sizer preference

jimgun
09-12-2009, 10:02 PM
i need to buy a lube sizer. If you were going to buy a new one and your choices were either a lyman or rcbs, which would you buy and why. also, if anyone is looking to sell a used one, any brand, please pm me with prices. thanks jim

MtGun44
09-12-2009, 10:55 PM
RCBS.

I have one of each and the Lyman linkage is a bit flimsy looking compared to the
RCBS. No actual problems, and both work almost exactly the same, but the linkage
just looks a bit light duty. Now, I have no idea what you'd wind up paying between
the two, so that may come into it. It isn't such a deal that I turned down a good price
for the Lyman, already had the RCBS.

Seems like some folks have had an issue with the plug in the bottom of the Lyman
leaking or popping out or something. I've never had it off the bench to even know
what the bottom looks like on mine and it has been just fine. Mine is a 450, the grey
color one. I use them side by side and really no functional difference, same dies,
same lube feed system, same adjustment on the bottom. Darned little to decide
in my experience.

Bill

Dale53
09-13-2009, 12:57 AM
I have both and prefer the RCBS. However, I would NOT pay a ton of difference for one over the other.

I mostly use my Star but do prefer one of the other two for gas check bullets (I use the Lyman gas check seater on most of those).

Dale53

dromia
09-13-2009, 01:02 AM
New or second hand I'd get an RCBS before a Lyman, the reason RCBS's product support is second to none.

Operationally there is no difference really, I have three RCBS and two Lyman lube size presses on my bench and the all work very well.

All but the Lyman 4500 were bought second hand, I bought the 4500 because I got a deal I couldn't refuse on it when I needed another press with a heater.

So if I was shopping second hand either would serve well if the price is right, new then the extra £s for the RCBS is worth it.

I know you haven't mentioned a Star but here's my take on it as well as no doubt there will be a suggestion to buy one of these along the way.

I had a Star but use it no more as it didn't suit my style of reloading, top notch lube press if you are doing high volumes of the same diameter type of boolit but a real chew on if like me you are doing 1-200 boolit batches then needing to change dies, settings and lube.

The Lyman and RCBs are far more user friendly in these depart ments, also I can buy a lot more Lyman/RCBS lube presses for the cost of a Star to save lube and die changeovers.

Lyman/RCBS can't compete at all with the Star when it comes to high volume lube sizing.

But the Star can't compete with them when it comes to short runs.

Like all tools identifying the application need will help you choose.

Shiloh
09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
RCBS.

I have one of each and the Lyman linkage is a bit flimsy looking compared to the
RCBS. No actual problems, and both work almost exactly the same, but the linkage
just looks a bit light duty. Now, I have no idea what you'd wind up paying between
the two, so that may come into it. It isn't such a deal that I turned down a good price
for the Lyman, already had the RCBS.

Seems like some folks have had an issue with the plug in the bottom of the Lyman
leaking or popping out or something. I've never had it off the bench to even know
what the bottom looks like on mine and it has been just fine. Mine is a 450, the grey
color one. I use them side by side and really no functional difference, same dies,
same lube feed system, same adjustment on the bottom. Darned little to decide
in my experience.

Bill

The handle broke on my Lyman 450. THis was tho old one with the red plastic coated handle. Lyman no longer has them. They have a replacement handle and linkage to repair it. I think when I ordered it, Lyman called it the updated modified version. This linkage is a lot more stout and heavy duty.

I bought my Lyman 450 used. It is the gray wrinkle painted one, and I am a third hand owner of the machine. I don't know whaqt the bottom plug looks like on an original, but mine has been center punched to hold it in and there is just a bit of stickyness on it, but it doesn.t leak.

As you stated I don't think there is huge difference between them other than personal preference. They are both good units, and the size dies are interchangable.

Like Dromia said though, RCBS customer service is the industry gold standard. They have treated me like a king every time I have called them.

Shiloh

geargnasher
09-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I finally have a Lyman 450 (been borrowing one for some time) and it works fine for me. Doesn't like RCBS dies, though, have to beat them in and out of the machine with a brass drift. Lyman H&I dies fit just fine.

Gear

MtGun44
09-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Geargnasher,

That die fit thing is weird. I have both machines (Lyman and RCBS) and I don't
even think brand when I buy a sizer die - just best price, both brand of dies fit
both machines without drama in my case.

Where is the interference in your machine, I would guess at the bottom?
Seems like a bit of polishing somewhere may be beneficial.

Bill

plumber
09-13-2009, 05:37 PM
If you ever had to deal with customer service at Lyman, that will make you want the RCBS. Not to mention that lately, Lyman's quality control has been as bad as their customer service

August
09-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I have an RCBS and it has worked fine. Bought it used and it runs great. Have had to replace the o-rings on the piston, but they were easy to find at the Ace Hardware store.

I'm posting this to say that RCBS has the best customer service in the industry. I strongly encourage you to patronize this fine company that provides an outstanding service to all of us.

We've got a good one in RCBS and ought to do everything to preserve that. Buy RCBS!!!!!

(I have no affiliation with RCBS, though you might wonder about that if you saw my reloading room)

plumber
09-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm posting this to say that RCBS has the best customer service in the industry. I strongly encourage you to patronize this fine company that provides an outstanding service to all of us.

We've got a good one in RCBS and ought to do everything to preserve that. Buy RCBS!!!!!

(I have no affiliation with RCBS, though you might wonder about that if you saw my reloading room)

These companies should take lessons from RCBS and Dillon, their customer service is well past what you would expect. I've had both companies go out of their way to make me happy on problems that were MY FAULT! They have the attitude of " we wish you called us before you were unhappy, we don't like our customers unhappy".
Lee has good customer service as well, unfortunatly it's better than their product quality, IMNSHO. I have just had way to many issues with Lyman lately. New products missing parts, undersized molds, etc, etc. When you call them to set things right, its like it's your fault their QC went to he'll. I just got a new Lyman mold with no sprue plate, and no screws. They want me to buy them!
Enough of my rant, if the money is t tight spend the extra on the RCBS.

Charlie Sometimes
09-13-2009, 08:29 PM
RCBS, hands down.

They are easier to adjust and have more places to fine tune it.
I hated the Lymans that I used to have to the point of selling them.
Those were the only pieces of Lyman equipment that I didn't like, of everything they make and I have ever owned.

Rockchucker
09-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't own a star and have only heard great reports on how fast they are. I don't own the rcbs luber either, although I have plenty of their other products and they're customer service is great along side of Dillon's. Now I do own a 4500 (bought it this year) Never used one before so setting it up the first time I had a few questions that were answered here. So far I've sized and lubed around 7000 boolits without a single hitch and use the rcbs and lyman dies, Like the post above just depends on who has the best price. I live all the way down here in Florida so a heater isn't needed this time of year even for lubes like carnauba red. cooler weather I'm sure I'll need it.

jimgun
09-14-2009, 12:14 AM
thanks everyone. i am going to order the rcbs this week.