PDA

View Full Version : ebay is still hooking the guys in on Star lubers

Swagerman
04-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Man, I couldn't believe that someone would spend over $188.00 on final bid for an older Star Lube-sizer with one die. It didn't even have the crank handle to push the lube down in the reservor, but had a hex bolt for ratchet wrench.

He could have got a brand new one from Magma Engineering for $195.00, but they would have nailed him on shipping and handling charges.

I guess the older models are the best after all.

Jim

Blacktail 8541
04-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Some people just do not pay attention to new product prices! They get caught up in the bidding and pay way to much.

ANeat
04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Last time I checked with Magma they were about 6 to 8 weeks from having any lube sizers in stock. So if you need one bad EBAY or the classifieds in the shooting forums are the only way to get one.

There was one in the classifieds here for $160.00 I think[smilie=1:

Adam

RayinNH
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Jim, if you buy a Star from E-bay you get the bragging rights about using a "vintage" sizer...Ray

Wayne Smith
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Hah! I got my Lyman 450 from e-bay, does that make it "vintage"!! Got my RCBS lube sizer there, too, but they ain't come out with a new model yet.

Swagerman
04-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Well, guess I got some braggin rights too, bought my vintage Star off an internet bud in PA, it came with seven lube dies and four punches for $150.

Didn't have to get the shaft from the ebay sellers who have a friend put in false bids to jack up the price.

This doesn't happen every time, but it happens all to often as I see the same item sometimes being offered forsale again when they don't feel its sold for enough.

I'll only go so much money on a final bid...then they can keep it.

You got to get lucky once in awhile...:D

Jim

mooman76
04-15-2006, 02:09 PM
By the looks of things on ebay, anything that slightly look old is "vintage".

PatMarlin
04-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I got my "Vintage" Lyman 45's out of the Hawk Shop.

Does that give me the braggin' rights of "Trailer Trash"?.. :mrgreen:

newfoundlander
05-14-2006, 11:27 PM
People forget or don't realise that geography and local buying conditions greatly influence auction prices on Ebay. Many folks have few purchasing opportunites locally and will gladly pay more to secure an item they simply can't get in their corner of the world . Also, most ebay sellers in the US refuse to ship even non-regulated reloading/casting/shooting items over the border. This is of course their perogative but US vendors who are more flexible will often get more for the same item. The convenience factor of shopping on ebay is huge If you live in an urban environment, such as I do, paying a premium for certain items on ebay is well worth it. Often the investment of time and energy combined with the price of gas, and parking makes shopping on ebay more attractive.

Buckshot
05-15-2006, 03:56 AM
People forget or don't realise that geography and local buying conditions greatly influence auction prices on Ebay. Many folks have few purchasing opportunites locally and will gladly pay more to secure an item they simply can't get in their corner of the world . Also, most ebay sellers in the US refuse to ship even non-regulated reloading/casting/shooting items over the border. This is of course their perogative but US vendors who are more flexible will often get more for the same item. The convenience factor of shopping on ebay is huge If you live in an urban environment, such as I do, paying a premium for certain items on ebay is well worth it. Often the investment of time and energy combined with the price of gas, and parking makes shopping on ebay more attractive.

.............There IS that! We tend to forget how blessed we are with a plethora of reloading and casting goodies here.

.............Buckshot

PatMarlin
05-15-2006, 09:57 AM
I live in the outback, and buy a huge amount of stuff via internet, but I seek out the best suppliers, and some are on eBay.

I shop as hard as I can and buy as cheap as I can, but shipping cost put you right back to the average buy.

The nearest sizable town is 2 hours away, so I take a big shopping list. Getting everything on the list before close of business, them getting back home can be a challenge.

Try running a manufacturing business like this.. :roll:

Marshal Kane
05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Man, I couldn't believe that someone would spend over $188.00 on final bid for an older Star Lube-sizer with one die. JimI have to agree with all the previous comments that there are different sides to this issue. I try to set my maximum bid in my mind before even bidding on ebay and that is determined by the original price of the item with adjustments based on condition. Anyone bidding blind on ebay is treading through a minefield with their eyes shut.

Marshal Kane
05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Well, guess I got some braggin rights too, bought my vintage Star off an internet bud in PA, it came with seven lube dies and four punches for $150. JimBought my very good condition Star at an estate sale for $15. Yes, repeat $15. Could also have bought a RCBS Lube-A-Matic for the same price but was not into casting at that time. Just dumb luck, other people were looking at these items and passing them up while I bought it as an investment. Some investment! That Star caused me to invest in an entire casting outfit which now includes two lead furnaces and a dozen or so molds.

Swagerman
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Marshal, that is astounding luck, good on ya, you deserve it...lucky bugger. :mrgreen:

I keep hoping to run into deals like that up here in the frozen north but not many reloaders abound here as far as I can surmise by the lack of seeing anything like that at yard sales. [smilie=1:

Jim

Marshal Kane
05-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, guess I got some braggin rights too, bought my vintage Star off an internet bud in PA, it came with seven lube dies and four punches for $150. JimWell you have something to brag about too! Those seven lube dies go for about $34 apiece new from Magma Engineering so you made a very shrewd buy. Really like the Star, I think we both made a good choice!:-D

Bodydoc447
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
My brother got me a Star w/ base heater and an assortment of dies and top punches for $150. I still need to get a .401, .454, .313 and a .225 but am set for about everything else thanks to him. My Dad is visiting and we set it up to size a few of the 358439 HPs I had cast a couple of months ago. Did I mention that I have a great big brother?

Doc

Swagerman
06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Whumps!

I forgot to brag about the Midway lube heater that came with the Star unit, a minor oversight on my part...I don't use it much anyway. Much prefer to use a hot air hair dryer to pre-heat the die body section and the pump. Couple of minutes and its ready to go.

Here's the picture the good friend that sold it to me sent before the buy. What a deal.

The .451 lube die got opened up to .454, and acquired another Star lube die in .430 diameter from a nice feller in LA.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/star-448-slubesizerpressanddies.jpg

Marshal Kane
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Did I mention that I have a great big brother? DocWould your big brother consider adopting another little brother?

Marshal Kane
06-01-2006, 11:39 AM
You also didn't mention that you got the die removal tool too! Your Star is in great shape and will probably outlast your grandkids!

Four Fingers of Death
06-01-2006, 08:21 PM
You also didn't mention that you got the die removal tool too! Your Star is in great shape and will probably outlast your grandkids!

Good to hear from you. I'll have to bite the boolit and buy one of those Stars one day.

Marshal Kane
06-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Good to hear from you. I'll have to bite the boolit and buy one of those Stars one day.Howdy Mick! Run into you everywhere I go! How's that new rifle shootin'? Yes, you would appreciate the Star as it pushes the boolits through the sizer die and lets them drop into a padded container. At least twice as fast as any manual lubricator/sizer on the market. Good to hear from you too and best wishes to your family.

cbrick
06-03-2006, 02:32 AM
I bought a couple of moulds, a Star sizer, several sizer dies from the guy that sold SAECO to Redding several years ago, all for $150.00. These were his own and not part of the company sale.

hhmmm . . . . Why was the owner of SAECO using a Star sizer?

JBMauser
07-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Well since you all shared your great star finds I will tell you mine. I found one listed on a board. I think it was the old shooters before it went away. Long story short, guy offered a star lube sizer with a few dies for 60 to 80 bucks, don't remember now. sent money waited forever, swapped emails. got nervous. excuses, business, travel etal. Got the sizer and it was a SAECO. Wrote to him and pointed out that I had been researching Star for a month and it was not what he said it was. I even joined a Star group on Yahoo to learn about the darned thing. I was a real newbe to it all. I figured I was still to the good with the SAECO and have not looked back, have two of them now and today just picked up a old Ideal no. 45 cause I came into some dies for same a while back. The star is supposed to be the hands down fastest for large volume, since I don't have any molds over two cavity, I have been OK. Oh well, such is life on the internet and you are never to old to learn that everyone is not as diligint as you think you are. JB