PDA

View Full Version : Larger Lever Loop For My Puma 44Mag

HollowPoint
09-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Any body out there know where I can get a new Lever for my Puma Lever action?

There's nothing wrong with the factory Lever I have now; I'd just like to get one with a little larger opening.

I recently installed a "Tang-Mounted Peep-Sight" that now makes my present Lever bang the crap out of my finger-joints upon firing.

I've heard that you can get aftermarket Levers with a larger loop opening for some of the Marlin Lever actions but, does anyone make them for the Puma Lever action?

Thanks in advance to anyone with the smarts to point me in the right direction.

HollowPoint

BoolitBill
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Hollowpoint, I don't know if any one makes large loop levers for Puma lever actions but twenty five years ago I went to a gunsmith when I lived in Houston and he made one for my 94 Winchester (this was before the factory started to make them). I learned that the very large loops (like John Wayne's) are movie hype and I could shoot faster and better with a standard 94 loop. Two years ago I got a Marlin Guide gun and the lever loop did bang up my fingers a lot and I could hardly fit my fingers in the loop when wearing gloves while hunting. I got one of the aftermarket larger loops put on it and now I love it. The Marlin loops are not as big as the John Wayne types and they allow me to wear gloves and also allow faster levering for follow up shots. If you do find a source for your Puma I would suggest you try a smaller loop shape like the Marlin aftermarket ones. As for a source, you might try Brownells but I really dont know if they have anything for a Puma.

pietro
09-12-2009, 05:55 PM
1) Rossi made your Puma.

2) Rossi currently makes Big Loop Model 92's.

3) Buy a big loop lever from the Rossi Parts/Cust Service, and swap it into your rifle..