PDA

View Full Version : How to Process X-Ray Lead

moto
09-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I came across 20 4x8 sheets of .125 lead used in shielding an x-ray room. One side has a coating of what looks like an asphalt adhesive, with some paper from the wallboard still attached. Does this all have to be removed before smelting (please say no!)? What is the best way to process this stuff? Any advice would be appreciated; this is my first melt and I'd hate to screw it up!

13Echo
09-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Melt it down outside, keep your nose out of the fumes, scoop off the trash as it floats to the top. I have several hundred pounds of the stuff and it is nearly pure lead. Great stuff.

Jerry Liles

Rocky Raab
09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
I was afraid you'd ask about it being radioactive or something. It isn't, of course.

The above is perfect.

bohokii
09-12-2009, 03:44 PM
processing lead always stinks

Shiloh
09-12-2009, 08:10 PM
It is usually pure.

I heard tell of sheets pulled off the walls of the X-ray suites at the Hospital. Management was fussing about the disposal fees. It was suggested that if it waw left on the loading dock on Friday evening, it would be gone by Monday morning.

It was. and has been put down range.;-)

Shiloh

canyon-ghost
09-12-2009, 08:17 PM
I had some that had a touch more arsenic in it than I'd recommend breathing. Yes, smelt it outside and flux with a wax. I ended up with 60 pounds of ingots, it is almost pure, they call it corroding grade, I believe because it will oxidize. Hence the wax.

mold maker
09-12-2009, 08:46 PM
As hard to find, and expensive, as WW, and other forms of lead are getting, don't pass up ANY opportunity. Lead is lead. Get it while you can. You can always alter its alloy.
Even the dreaded zinc should be saved. Just leave it as is, in WW form. It,s got value about equal to lead. Those who pour cannon balls, use huge amounts, (3-10 lb per shot) and have had an even harder time finding it without their pocketbooks.

moto
09-12-2009, 10:56 PM
This site is great! Thanks for the info. Shiloh, I'm almost embarrassed to say that they're paying me to get rid of it! Life is good.

KYCaster
09-13-2009, 12:30 AM
This site is great! Thanks for the info. Shiloh, I'm almost embarrassed to say that they're paying me to get rid of it! Life is good.

Hang out here for a while and you'll get over the embarrassment. :oops:

Welcome to the assylum. Sounds like you're already hooked.

Jerry

lylejb
09-13-2009, 01:04 AM
WELLLLL...
If your TOO embarrassed by all that lead just tell me where you're at. I'll GLADLY come by and relieve your worry. You'll have NOTHING to be embarrassed about:kidding:

GREAT find

Welcome aboard;-)

evan price
09-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Cut it into easy-to-roll strips using a reciprocating saw with a wood demolition blade (about 7 tpi). Then roll it into tight coils that will fit your pot. Get it good and hot and flux the heck out of it. It will smoke and burn away the paper and asphalt. Then skim out the crud and dump it in a metal bucket to cool.