PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use a Lyman 55 classic BP measure?

BCall
09-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I recently got one at a good price, new in the box with drop tubes. My problem is the 24" drop tube, the 2 pieces I received both look identical, they both appear to be the same lower piece. I called Lyman to tell them of the error, and they shipped out a supposed replacement top tube. When I got it, it appears to be a lower tube again! Does someone maybe have pictures of their tubes? It says to screw the upper tube onto the small drop tube of the measure, but none of my pieces are threaded to screw on to anything, just the threads to screw them together. Am I missing something, or did Lyman screw up again? I'll post picture of what I have this evening. Thanks for the help, Billy

HPT
09-12-2009, 11:33 AM
BCall,

I can't help you with the drop tube, but you might want to check the accurracy of charges coming out of that measure. I found that I need to weigh charges before dropping as the measure was not accurate, so I use a seperate drop tube. Try for yourself. I get charges 69 - 72 grains with goex FFG and about 1/2 as bad with smokeless: 1.7 gr variation with H4350 & RL 22. Out of 10 loads with 4831 one weighed 7 grains more than the rest - maybe a fluke, but now I weigh everything.

BTW my cheap plastic LEE powder measure only has a variation of .5 - .7 grains with the same 3 smokeless powders.

Dan Cash
09-12-2009, 11:43 AM
BCall,

I can't help you with the drop tube, but you might want to check the accurracy of charges coming out of that measure. I found that I need to weigh charges before dropping as the measure was not accurate, so I use a seperate drop tube. Try for yourself. I get charges 69 - 72 grains with goex FFG and about 1/2 as bad with smokeless: 1.7 gr variation with H4350 & RL 22. Out of 10 loads with 4831 one weighed 7 grains more than the rest - maybe a fluke, but now I weigh everything.

BTW my cheap plastic LEE powder measure only has a variation of .5 - .7 grains with the same 3 smokeless powders.

I am sorry you got taken with that Lyman. I will give you $25. plus shipping for it so I can use it for parts.

Dan "The Whiner" Cash

Dan Cash
09-12-2009, 11:50 AM
BCall,
I have the same measure and it works flawlessly though I do not use the drop tubes. I leave the charge handle down. When throwing a charge, I raise the handle, pause one second and bring the handle back down to the half way point, then tap the handle downward with my finger 4 or 5 times letting the powder trickle out of the measure.

With the measure adjusted to throw 70 grains of 2F Goex, I consistantly get between 70 and 70.2 grain of powder and it settles in the cartridge case to the same level as it does when trickled through a 26 inch drop tube. I quit with the included drop tubes and other drop tubes a year or so ago. My groups do not suffer from the change.

If you are convinced that you need the tubes, I will send you mine as they are of no use to me.

Dan

dromia
09-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I have one and it is a fine measure as accurate as anything else I have.

One thing I have found when measuring black is that it helps to dunt the measure a couple of times on the bench when filled with powder but before you start dropping charges to settle the powder.

If I don't do this there wil be big variation in the first dozen or so charges 'till the powder settles.

Looks like Lyman have sent you the wrong part the top tube is threaded on the inside to screw into the measures drop tube. The bottom tube just has the same external threads as the top tube to screw them together with the threaded collar.

Get back onto Lyman and tell them to get a grip.

SierraWhiskeyMC
09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow, that has a TALL powder reservoir!

I have an Ideal #55 powder measure that's ancient, but still works well. One trick my Dad used with smokeless powders is to use an aluminum funnel sitting on top of the powder reservoir, and keep it at least partially full of powder. This ensures that the powder level in the reservoir is consistent, and helps a great deal to maintain consistent powder throws.

When I first fill the measure, I flip the whacker a half-dozen times or so to settle the powder in the reservoir, then throw at least three loads and dump them back in the funnel before weighing the first charge.

Starting with the charge throw handle rotated to the up position, I rotate the charge handle down, and give one good "flip" upwards to the whacker with my middle finger when measuring short and medium cut smokeless powder. If I'm measuring something known to "bridge" like IMR 3031, I'll flip the whacker twice, being careful to do this consistently.

If I don't get a good "double tap" from the whacker, I just pour the load back into the funnel and try again. I leave the charge throw handle rotated to the up position unless I have a cartridge ready to fill.

Dale53
09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
The operator of a powder measure is as important as the measure itself regarding measure accuracy. Further, there are some powders that are VERY difficult to measure (4759 as an example).

I shot modern bench rest a couple or three years and learned a good bit about a lot of things and one of them was the importance of learning how YOUR powder measure works when used (the same "system" of operation doesn't necessarily work for all).

Get a scale close to the measure and empty a couple of measures full of the powder of your choice while weighing each charge. You'll learn more about the operation of YOUR measure than any of us can tell you.

I have yet to find a bad measure. Some are just a bit friendlier than others and there are some powders it is best to avoid.

Ball powders measure well in most all measures. They can be very good choices. However, there are stick powders that measure well, also. RL-7 is excellent, the various "small stick" Hodgdon improved powders really help, etc.

Good luck,
Dale53

BCall
09-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys, the measure was cheap, so I thought I might use it in the future. To be honest, I have never loaded a BP cartridge. I appreciate the offer Dan, but I don't know if I really need them, I just felt that Lyman should correct the problem that was from the factory, but they screwed it up again. I will keep on them until they get it right. I might never use them, but they should be correct in case I do need them.

Thanks dromia, that was the info I needed. Here are pics of the 2 tubes I had, plus the one they sent me, no internal threads. You can see all the threads on the end for the coupler, but all of the have the taper inside for charging cases, no threads. I'll have to call Lyman again. Thanks, Billy

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850562.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850563.jpg

cajun shooter
09-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Bcall, You are missing the top tube. It has one end that is threaded inside for the connection to the measure and the other has a large knurled piece that is threaded inside to accept the lower section. I have the BP measure and love it as it has 3 separate adjustments for the powder drum. It is a very accurate measure. I also have the RCBS and use it on my press and the Lyman for loading my shotgun shells.

Wayne Smith
09-13-2009, 06:00 PM
My top tube isn't threaded. It slips into the drop of the measure and is held in place by a thumbscrew. The top tube has a dimple around the outside of it for the thumbscrew to get purchase.

dromia
09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Thats the short drop tube that you get as a standard with any 55. The BP drop tube, 24", is threaded to screw into the lower threaded part of the small drop tube. It won't fit the measure without the small "issue" drop tube.

Or you have a variant of the 24" drop tube I'm not aware of.

BCall
09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, I spoke to Lyman the other day, and today I got the proper tube in, Lyman finally got it right. Can't say if I'll ever use it, but I have it if I need it. The lady I spoke to was very nice about it, and I got it in less than a week. Tried to send the other tubes back, but they didn't want them, so if anybody needs a lower tube, you can have one, I've got two extras I don't need. Measure has been working fine so far with smokeless. Been throwing 4759 and trickling my final .2 or so. Just working on loads and seems to be working fine. Thanks again guys, Billy

Tom Myers
04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
so if anybody needs a lower tube, you can have one, I've got two extras I don't need.

Billy, I could sure use one, I just purchased a used one and there was no tube with it. Will happily pay shipping.

I'll Shoot you a PM with further info.

Ed in North Texas
04-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Billy, I could sure use one, I just purchased a used one and there was no tube with it. Will happily pay shipping.

I'll Shoot you a PM with further info.

Tom, This thread is from 2009. But someone might still have drop tubes they aren't using and reply.

Ed

MC One Shot
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I have one and it is a fine measure as accurate as anything else I have.

One thing I have found when measuring black is that it helps to dunt the measure a couple of times on the bench when filled with powder but before you start dropping charges to settle the powder.

If I don't do this there wil be big variation in the first dozen or so charges 'till the powder settles.

Hadn't thought about that. I will have to give that a go tonite. Thanks.

Tom Myers
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Tom, This thread is from 2009. But someone might still have drop tubes they aren't using and reply.

Ed

Wow... how did I ever miss that? I gotta start getting more sleep at night.

Thanks Ed. I would have lost even more sleep 'cause I would have been waiting up all night for an answer to my post.

I wonder what Billy is gonna think when he gets a PM out of the blue with nearly no information as to what I'm talking about. I guess I'd better send him another PM with an explanation.

And, yeah, If anyone does have an extra tube they want to sell, let me know your price and we'll see what I can do.