PDA

View Full Version : Casting metal?

EOD3
09-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi guys,

This has probably been asked and answered 1000 times but... try doing a search for "lead" and "shot". :veryconfu

In any case, is there any reason not to use lead shot for casting? The shot in question is supposed to be plain old lead with a dusting of graphite. :confused:

JSnover
09-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Shot will work but it's probably not pure. Pour some ingots and compare it a sample of known hardness or content. Simplest way is to smash two ingots into each other and see which one gets damaged most.

lylejb
09-12-2009, 07:24 PM
"magnum" hard shot is 4% antimony, + arsenic, according to lasc.us This should be close to WW hardness, but has no tin.

I know there are different grades of shot. I used to load 12 ga, many years ago and remember usually the lower priced shot was softer. I don't remember how soft. I don't think it's pure lead.

The biggest reason i don't consider shot for casting is price. If you have an inexpensive / free source for shot, GREAT, go for it. I would melt and pour an ingot to test for hardness, so you know what your working with.

If you have to buy new shot, then add tin....that adds up too quick for me.
Maybe i'm just cheep[smilie=l:

runfiverun
09-13-2009, 02:54 AM
target shot can be had in 5% sb easily enough.
magnum shot has more antimony in the smaller sizes.
some types of lead shot are just that lead shot,others have antimony and arsenic.
arsenic is used to make the shot round by providing surface tenion,it makes a nice grain structure in the alloy but may hamper fill out.
if you get shot cheap enough mixing it with ww's or pure50-50 could make a very nice alloy with some tin added.

Shiloh
09-13-2009, 10:17 AM
It cast very well and makes expensive boolits. Scrounge for lead and use the shot to harden and tweak your allow.

Shiloh