PDA

View Full Version : Yippee, my first metal finds!

AJ Peacock
09-11-2009, 05:59 PM
I took a little time this afternoon asking at some tire shops about their WW's. The first 4 said they had contracts, but the last one asked me what I wanted them for. I said "Making boolits ..." 10 minutes later I had a 1/2 full 6 gallon bucket for FREE! I weighed it when I got home and it was a bit over 90lbs! Now I need to search the forums for tips on sorting WW's.

Then I stopped at a friends electrical parts design shop. I had loaned him a scope and stopped to chat. I found out he has an automated tinning machine that tin's/solders tiny parts for him. He feeds it parts and bars of solder (he said he thinks it's 67/33 solder). Anyway, he says "Do you want me to save the drippings for you?" It's pristinely clean drippings. I'm gonna give him a couple small buckets that are marked "Solder Recycle" and he'll call me when one gets full!

He doesn't use much, but I'll end up with a few pounds of super clean drippings per month.

Anyway, thanks guys for the great site. I just had to share my finds with someone.

AJ

jawjaboy
09-11-2009, 07:09 PM
That's great AJ. ;) Just never give up the hunt.

lylejb
09-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a good start.:grin:

The free WW bucket is GREAT. In my town, we have 2 tire shops. Both want $50/ bucket:shock:

The free solder drippings are great as well. Since most people only add 2% tin, a couple of pounds a month should keep you casting well.

One suggestion, keep the solder drippings as they are. Don't try to pour ingots of solder, or add in bulk to the smelt. Tin oxidizes rapidly. Besides, it's easier to weigh out your amount to add when it's already in bits.

:drinks:

thenaaks
09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
i personally would say forget about sorting...unless you have lots of time on your hands. just keep your melt temp low and pull out the ones that don't melt. i don't use a thermometer, but keep the pot kind of "slushy" and the zinc and steel stick out like sore thumbs. it is honestly as easy as that.

btw, i do sort out the stick-ons, but they're a no brainer!

RoyRogers
09-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Sounds like a good start.:grin:

One suggestion, keep the solder drippings as they are. Don't try to pour ingots of solder, or add in bulk to the smelt. Tin oxidizes rapidly. Besides, it's easier to weigh out your amount to add when it's already in bits.

lylejb

Do 'store bought' alloy ingots oxidize rapidly? I'm new to this game and was planning on rendering WW tomorrow and making alloy ingots from the melted WW & the bulk solder ingots I rendered last week.

AJ Peacock
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
lylejb

Do 'store bought' alloy ingots oxidize rapidly? I'm new to this game and was planning on rendering WW tomorrow and making alloy ingots from the melted WW & the bulk solder ingots I rendered last week.

I think he means that it oxidizes rapidly while molten, so you loose a lot of the tin.

AJ

AJ Peacock
09-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Great tip, thanks it makes complete utter sense [smilie=w:

AJ