PDA

View Full Version : docone 31, you where right & thanks

6.5 mike
09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Finally got around to trying your lapping trick on paper patched boolits in my 303 sav.
Took it to the range on wensday, along with some 400 grit clover, light coating on pp'ed 185s pushed half of the crap out of the barrel. Only had 10 loaded, shot 3, ran a patch through getting lead on it. Shot 3 more same thing, shot the last 3 & had pieces of lead come out. Shot the last rd without to polish a little.
Had eye surgey yesterday so not much done. Today ran a wet patch through it & could feel a "step" in the barrel where the lead is still there. This removed about half of what was in the bore & I can see where it stops & the rifling are clean. Patched up 10 more today & worked up the brass getting ready to load some more to finish the job.
Thanks for the info & help. mike

303Guy
09-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Something I have found - Scotch-Brite! It is an abrasive plastic stuff than can be cut into tight fitting wads that might do the bore cleaning and polishing that we want. I would imagine one would have to to use it as a wad under a boolit. It is abrasive enough to dull stainless steel (and polish it, depending on how one uses it). It is also abrasive enough to do minor shaping on aluminum in a lathe (just done it - I covered the slideways).

Red River Rick
09-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Something I have found - Scotch-Brite! It is an abrasive plastic stuff ................

FYI, Scotch-Brite pads are available in different grits.

RRR

leftiye
09-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Sounds good on a cleaning rod. Not excited about shooting it though.

6.5 mike
09-12-2009, 02:23 PM
lefity, I'm with you, works great for rough cleaning, but do'nt think I want to shoot it through a bore. If I remember right it's nylon based, fine on a rod, but not to fire.
If I could clean from the chamber I could give it a try, 99 sav wo'nt work.
The step I'm feeling when running the patch, I figure, is where the bulit up crap is "peeling up" as the lapping boolit passes through & I'm pushing it back down. The last patch I ran through at the range, a piece fell out that looked like it went from the outside of two lands, across the groove, & came out in one piece. When I touched it, it crumbled showing both lead & powder. Think this old one has been rode hard & put up wet but I'll get it.

303Guy
09-12-2009, 03:28 PM
OK then, I wasn't too sure about firing it but I may still try it.

How about steel wool? The fine stuff. I got some from a hardware store and use it to polish dies and things. That might work as a fire-lapping wad. One could use it on a pull through - Scotch-Brite too. I have used steel wool to de-lead an air rifle bore. BSA with loading port. I took the rotating breach out. I took a piece of bronze welding rof and bent a hook in one end that would fit in the bore. I then pushed the hook end down the bore and attached the steel wool onto the hook through the breach port. (It also took heat to actually melt the lead to get it out).

6.5 mike
09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
303Guy, what I need is something like your "stuffed bore" bullet to push the junk out of the bore. Now that I'm getting results I'm happy, just didn't think it would take this long & for awhile I wasn't sure what I had gotten into.

303Guy
09-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I was thinking about that. The only thing that would concern me with fire-lapping a bore with a patch of stubborn leading is that the rest of the bore is getting lapped while the leaded patch is not. Why not try to get it out with a pull-through 'loaded' with steel wool or Scotch-Brite?

If you want to make a 'bugged bore' fire-lapping bullet, I can give you the dimensions I used and an explain how I did it.

Beekeeper
09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
6.5 Mike,
Have you tried an electronic bore cleaner on it?
Have used them on some pretty bad bores and they came clean for me.
I normally use baking soda and water ,1tsp baking soda to a pint of water and it will get most everything .
Might also use it with amonia to get any copper that is there or vary them (one then the other) if it is layered.
Be prepared for a lot of black crud.
The first time I used one I swore I had ruined the bore as all the crud came floating to the top.
First few times change the water or amonia ever 15 minutes and then longer each time.

Jim

docone31
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
The paper itself pulls a lot of lead out, especially if the patch is a solid wrap.
The grit on the patch is a little agressive and I only use it spareingly.
Now, my .30s, and .303 Brit are patch designated. The cleaning rods go in and out quite freely, and the bore shines.
Keep at it.
They definately get the lead out.

6.5 mike
09-12-2009, 08:01 PM
303Guy, thanks for the offer but I don't have any way to make it. This stuff is so tuff that choreboy didn't cut it. I had been working on it, got po'ed coated the bore with hoppes, & put it in my lay down safe. This seemed to let the solvent work as when I got it out to try doc's idea, ran a brush through & a piece came off the side about 8 in. from the muzzle. I had already loaded the patched rounds, so gave it a try.
Beekeeper, I never have tried the elec bore cleaners, but this one made me give it some serious though. This has been the hardest bbl I've ever had to work on. Layer after layer of crap.
docone 31, now that half of this stuff is gone I think I might have a chance. Thanks again. Today I loaded 10 more patched boolits, next range trip, hopefully, will finish the job.