PDA

View Full Version : One step gas checks?

qajaq59
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Has anyone come out with a tool that will punch and make the cup at the same time. And hopefully be used in a normal loading press? If not I'm hoping someone will. I suspect it must be very hard to do though or I'd have seen ads for them by now.

StarMetal
09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Has anyone come out with a tool that will punch and make the cup at the same time. And hopefully be used in a normal loading press? If not I'm hoping someone will. I suspect it must be very hard to do though or I'd have seen ads for them by now.

The main problem with that, for me, is finding some kind of actuating system for the cup forming punch sequence. I have the die that is capable of both processes of stamping the disc and then cup forming it. I need to find a system as mentioned in the first sentence.

Joe

Marlin Hunter
09-11-2009, 03:40 PM
It could be done, but it would take a very heavy spring that would make your arm tired in a loading press, or large mechanism that would be bigger than the standard size thread used for the dies.

MT Gianni
09-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I believe the Freecheck 2 does that.

JeffinNZ
09-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I believe the Freecheck 2 does that.

Not quite. FC II does it in 2 steps.

The entire issue comes down to cost. I am sure that a device could be made that makes a GC in one phase but I bet no one would pay the sort of money it would sell for.

Just like casting and reloading, making GC's is a function of 'cost saving' verse your time.

qajaq59
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Jeff do you happen to know the difference between what FreeCheck I does as opposed to the FreeCheck II? I read up on the I, but I didn't see anything on the II.

Leftoverdj
09-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Punch inside a punch, and a cam that would operate the internal punch after the outside punch has come to rest.

JeffinNZ
09-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Jeff do you happen to know the difference between what FreeCheck I does as opposed to the FreeCheck II? I read up on the I, but I didn't see anything on the II.

FC I requires pre cut discs of material.

FC II has a slot in the forming anvil into which material is placed then a hollow punch cuts the disc. Into the hollow punch then goes the forming mandrel.