PDA

View Full Version : Intrest In Ranch Dogs Designs

6pt-sika
04-13-2006, 11:13 PM
:castmine:

Steelbanger
04-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Years ago I used Tumble Lube with cast bullets in a 270 Ren and the build-up of lube in the seating die made the bullets seat deeper as the heavy build-up continued. Loading hundreds of rounds at one time, I had to stop and clean the seater stem many times each loading session. Swore off of tumble lube with that experience. Maybe this lube build-up experience was unique to me and my methods because I can't remember anyone else mentioning it. I sure wasn't about to start wiping the lube off the noses before seating the bullets, which I saw as the only solution.

Sorry, I just can't get excited about tumble lubed bullets. If these moulds were designed for conventional sizing & lubing I would probably try them.

Junior1942
04-21-2006, 09:45 AM
It's easy to wipe LLA off a bullet's nose before seating. Just lay a rag out flat on your bench and before seating a bullet wipe its nose across the rag. Takes what, 5 seconds?

Ranch Dog
04-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Steelbanger...

I do what Junior does. It kind of sounds like you were putting too much lube on the bullets. I actually use a worn out wool hunting sock. It takes the lube of the nose prior to seating pronto! It also cleans the completed cartridge up really pretty and quick.

If I had to buy a lube-sizer, I would go back to jacketed bullets. What a pain and expense.

45 2.1
04-21-2006, 10:33 AM
I too like Ranch Dogs designs. I don't like all the fuss you guys go to to double lube and mica your boolits, what a PAIN. Lubrising takes less time and no filthy seater or wiping either. Perhaps you could go with a modified lube groove design that both ways could accomodate? Below is what i've worked out in that direction. I really like the designs, but don't like LEEs current micro groove setup.

Ranch Dog
04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
I like it!!! Would you mind if I worked with it on some of my existing designs. It would be great to have a boolit that is truely a switch hitter! :rolleyes:

I really have no personal interest in this series of molds other than seeing Lee catalog molds designed to the proper specs for lever-gun shooting. I don't want my name (RD or MR) associated with them, it can be all about Lee, but I sure would like to order one through MidwayUSA or another retailer for 15 bucks when I needed one. The group buy stuff is fun... for a while. We also need the Lube and Size Kits of the proper diameter. If you like these molds, please drop Lee a line and tell them so.

A bullet that could be used with the L&S Kit or a luber would only help standardize a design that kills game! As I always say... simple bullets for simple guns! Steelbanger... didn't mean for the reply to sound snotty by any means. Just tired of buying gear and out of room!!!

Ranch Dog
04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I really like the designs, but don't like LEEs current micro groove setup.

What is the angle of the groove and the length of the base of the groove?

45 2.1
04-21-2006, 11:00 AM
I like it!!! Would you mind if I worked with it on some of my existing designs. It would be great to have a boolit that is truely a switch hitter! :rolleyes:

Go ahead! The draft angle is 35 degrees (included angle is 70 degrees). The bottom flat is 0.004" wide. You could cut those angles down easily for more lube capacity with a larger bottom flat. If you need any help with dimensions or angles, please say so or PM me.

Steelbanger
04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey Ranch Dog,

No offense taken. I'm not trying to put your designs down either, just stating my feelings about the TL bullets. I too would like to see your bullets with conventional lube grooves and you given proper credit for the design. I especially like the correct diameters.

I shot about a half-dozen PM targets the other day and all I got was fuel for fire starting.

Best regards,

Dr. A
04-21-2006, 03:23 PM
RD, are you working on a 32 cal? This is getting to be my favorite caliber!

Ranch Dog
04-23-2006, 01:22 AM
I sent 6pt-Sika a worksheet on one. Haven't found a Marlin yet in that caliber...

6pt-sika
04-23-2006, 02:52 PM
RD, are you working on a 32 cal? This is getting to be my favorite caliber!

Ranch Dog was kind enough to send me the work sheet for a 32 cal bullet of 165 grain weight . I would like one of these for myself in a two or six cavity mold . Does this sound like something of intrest to you ?