PDA

View Full Version : which dies?

jsizemore
09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm thinking of going progressive. I've loaded with a single stage for 15 years. Since I've started casting, I end up with lube buildup in my seating die. When I remove the die and clean it, I have to go through the die setup again. Seems like an anti-progressive situation, as far as speed goes. The Dillon dies appear to have covered the clean/ setup problem of lube buildup. How do Dillon dies work in the various progressives?

mike in co
09-10-2009, 11:16 PM
i love my 44 mag set...cleaning is not an issue and no resetting.

mike in co

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
No need for a Dillon die in a Hornady LnL, as you can quickly remove any single die in less than a second and clean it from the bottom of the die.

If you have an RCBS Rock Chucker, you can add the LnL bushing conversion kit to it and be able to quickly remove a die for cleaning when you wish. Same with a Lee Classic Cast single stage.

Regards,

Dave

AJ Peacock
09-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I have dillon dies for my 357mag. cleaning is super fast/simple. Pull the pin, clean replace pin. They also have a little more of a funnel opening, which helps when you are really crankin the old progressive.

AJ

dromia
09-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I concur that the L n L is a highly effective and efficient system for quick, accurate die removal and replacement.

It also means that you can use any make of dies that you want.

jeff423
09-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Dillon dies were designed for progressives. They offer some advantages:

You can drop the stem out for cleaning without removing the die body from the press. This means you don't have to readjust the die, but as has been stated, with other dies you can always clean them from the bottom.
The opening on the bottom of the die is larger than other dies and works a little better on progressives than other dies.
Since they were designed for use on progressives they eliminate the expander die because flaring is done on the powder drop stage. They have separate seating and crimping functions.
Redding Pro series have the same features except you can't drop the stem.

On my 650 I have toolheads with, Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Lee and Redding Pro series dies sets They all make good reloads and I have not noticed any differences in quality.

I have tended to do some mixing of dies. For example my .38 wadcutter toolhead has a Dillon sizing die due to the larger opening which is nice on the first stage. It also has a very positive decapping action. But I like the Lee factory crimp die on the last stage. I forget what die use for seating.

Jeff