PDA

View Full Version : Almost had a heart attack!

Hardcast416taylor
09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Went to my heart Dr. yesterday for my annual stress test. As I was being shot up with a nuclear blood tracer I noticed the tech`s work table. He had a lead brick wall around his syringe supply. Upon checking I found it was PURE soft lead in 26.75 lb bricks that were 19 in number totaling just under 500 lbs. The 7 lb. syringe shielding container are sent back to the supplier for recycling each day. So I had to drool at all that lead just sitting there, and I couldn`t talk Doc. out of any of it.:-(Robert

257 Shooter
09-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Robert, Down Boy Down!

You are going to have to work on your persuasion skills. That is a shame to see all that lead and not be able to do anything about it.

Jim

Ugluk
09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Perhaps he got grumpywhen you pulled out the Lee hardness tester and made his wall all dimply as soon as he turned his back.. :-)

1874Sharps
09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Ugluk,

You are a riot! That was pretty funny!

It is curious how we boolit casters notice such things. Who else would see lead shielding and start drooling?

H.C.416T.,

I hope your stress test went well and that you are around to shoot and write on this forum for a good long time!

sqlbullet
09-10-2009, 12:28 PM
That is the source of most of my 6000 lbs lead supply - Radio-pharmacy scrap. Those bricks are nice. I have about 12-15 of them left, having melted down 5 or 6 of them.

What I really like are the 'generators'. A 15.5 lb lead bucket painted beige, with a 31.5 lb 'core' inside, topped with a green plug that weighs 26 oz. These contain the concentrator radiation vials they use to create the lower level stuff that actually leaves the radio-pharmacy. And these are not pure lead, but are the same basic lead that WW is made from. It air-cools to a BHN of 10-11, and water drops/heat treats as high as 30.

The only complaint is how much they smoke when you melt them down, from the latex paint burning up.

Hardcast416taylor
09-10-2009, 11:04 PM
It was rough looking at all that lead. I gave it the thumb nail test then saw the word pure in small letters under the 26.75 weight mark. We weighed 1 for the hell of it and it was as stated.
The bad news is they have found an abnormality on my lower left lobe of my heart. Explains why I tire easily and have chest pains on left side. I`ll know more Mon. when the chief heart Dr. at the center talks to me. Maybe he is going to give me a few bricks after all?Robert