PDA

View Full Version : Lite boolit for an '06

Nora
09-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Has any one tried something like the Lee 311-100-2R in a 30-06 before? If so how did it work. I'm looking for something for Yo-Di for this winter. Range will be out to about 150 yards. Any other suggestions for cast that wouldn't cause to much damage to the pelt would also be welcome. If all else fails I'll just use "J" word and call it good. I'd just like to use the real thing this year. :cbpour:

Nora

carpetman
09-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Nora---I dont think you'll get any less pelt damage from a light 30-06 bullet than you'd get from a heavier one--it's still 30 cal. So you NEED a smaller cal. The RCBS 6mm mold produces a good shooting bullet in .243 which I would think would work great on coyotes(but it doesn't seem to work on deer). The RCBS .22 mold 58 gr sp bullets shoot great in my .222 and 22-250 but not in my .223---these work great on jackrabbits and I'd think should work well on coyotes. If you don't have one of the smaller ones--you have good reason to get one. You always need another gun. Gosh if you get enough yotes to set up for it, you are getting enough to not justify but to WARRANT gettting one. It is imperative. I think the CZ's are a good buy.

randyrat
09-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Have you tried a little light bullet (cast) in a sabot like a 50 or 60 gr 223 bullet. i have a friend thats playing with this in a 308. He is still working on a load and i haven't heard anything more for a week or more. In fact, i was going to start a thread on this asking for tips on powder choices. Just an idea.

I have a RCBS 30-115 gc that i have not tried yet in a 06 case, i bet it would work on YOTES real good. That depends on how well a small bullet like that shoots out of 30-06.

Bret4207
09-10-2009, 07:38 AM
I can tell you first hand the Lee Soup Can works good at 75 yardish range at 17-1800 fps. That's from a 32-20 rifle. I was shooting them in the heart area and on the bigger 50+ lbs dogs they didn't go through usually. One lighter pup required some sewing and didn't look so hot afterwords. But maybe a more talented sewer could have done better on the rip.

I don't know if a RN would work any better. In our thick brush on bare ground I like them to drop quick. It's a crap shoot, some times they'll drop right there with a shot from a 22lr, other times they seem to be made of steel.

Nora
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Nora---I dont think you'll get any less pelt damage from a light 30-06 bullet than you'd get from a heavier one--it's still 30 cal. So you NEED a smaller cal. The RCBS 6mm mold produces a good shooting bullet in .243 which I would think would work great on coyotes(but it doesn't seem to work on deer). The RCBS .22 mold 58 gr sp bullets shoot great in my .222 and 22-250 but not in my .223---these work great on jackrabbits and I'd think should work well on coyotes. If you don't have one of the smaller ones--you have good reason to get one. You always need another gun. Gosh if you get enough yotes to set up for it, you are getting enough to not justify but to WARRANT gettting one. It is imperative. I think the CZ's are a good buy.

I'd love to be able to afford to get another rifle of smaller caliber. I completely agree with your thinking. However on the check uncle sugar sends me once a month it is completely out of the budget. My choices with a scope are .22lr, A3 sporter, or don't go. My chooses with my eye sight is use a scope at that range.

I do as luck would have it, a very worthy "Russian" 1936 S/237 Mauser with a bad barrel that I'd be willing to accept a donation of a short chambered barrel in 22-250 or .243 from Brownell's for a replacement. :-P

Nora

Blammer
09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
the 311316, shoots well out of my 30-06, but it'llstill be a 30 cal hole, and that light a bullet may not fair well at that distance.

If I were yote hunting for the fur I'd either use a heavy bullet to punch a nice hole in and a nice hole out or a small fragile varmit Jword bullet.