PDA

View Full Version : rem #4 barrel

JRW
09-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Greetings all: I ran across a #4 in 22lr, and its barrel is questionable at best. Some rifling left, but most of it gone for parts unknown. I'm looking for opinions here on either rebarreling or lining. The barrel is original and the rifle would make a dandy little squirrel rifle! thanks for any input. Jim.[smilie=2:

pietro
09-10-2009, 07:04 AM
The #4 RB's are sweet - nice/petite rifles !

Mine is a solid-frame .32, that's had the breechblock drilled for centerfire, and the firing pin converted from RF to CF - .32 Colt Short.

If I had a .22 like yours, I would reline the existing barrel, back to .22RF.

If you don't DIY, there are multiple 'smiths who will do it for you - Redmond, for one.

IIRC, MidwayUSA & Brownell's have .22 cal, 5/16" OD liners for around $30 - and they can be either epoxied or soldered into the barrel after drilling the old bore out to 5/16".
Since most liners are blank, and longer than your barrel, one would also have to be shortened/crowned, and chambered.

calaloo
09-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Reline the barrel and you will be a happy camper. If you want to be an estatic camper use John Taylor (google Taylor Machine). John is the guru of barrel relining. You will not be able to see the seam between the barrel and liner. No connection, just a very satisfied customer.