PDA

View Full Version : EPA warning. For the kids.

Rooster
09-09-2009, 10:28 PM
FYI and to keep an eye on the regulatory aspects of it all. Short version is no surprise to any one here, I'm sure. Ban lead because it is bad for the children.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/db41c4a8c1f1d2d88525761e0056dfed!OpenDocument

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 26, 2009

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency today announced a series of steps to increase protections against and raise awareness of lead-based products in our environment and communities, particularly to prevent lead poisoning in children. The steps announced today are:

· Additional proposed requirements to protect children from lead-based paint
· A new effort to ban the manufacture of lead in tire weights
· A lead poisoning prevention video contest, asking people to submit videos demonstrating steps that can be taken to prevent childhood lead poisoning

“As both EPA Administrator and as a mother, my highest priority is protecting our children from environmental threats in the places where they live, play and learn. Lead is still present in many of our neighborhoods, but we can limit exposure to children and adults by working together on comprehensive actions like these,” said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. “We're committed to giving our nation’s children the fullest protection possible, and giving parents clear assurance that their children are safe from harm.”

The additional requirements on lead-based paint that EPA intends to propose are the result of a settlement of litigation brought by the Sierra Club, the New York City Coalition to End Lead Poisoning and other stakeholder groups in 2008. The settlement calls for proposed revisions to the 2008 rule governing lead safe work practices used during repair, remodeling and renovations to reduce exposures to lead-based paint hazards for young children, the most sensitive population, as well as for older children and adults.

EPA will propose to expand lead safe work practices and other protective requirements for renovation and painting work involving lead paint to most buildings built before 1978, when lead-based paint was banned for residential use. Under the proposed requirements, renovation firms would have to conduct tests to ensure that lead levels in dust comply with EPA’s regulatory standards after certain renovation, repair, and painting activities are performed and provide information to building occupants on the lead safe work practices utilized during renovations.

The agency is proposing that lead safe work practices be required at the vast majority of residential buildings and public and commercial buildings undergoing exterior renovations that involve lead-based paint. EPA will determine whether renovations in the interior of public and commercial buildings create hazardous levels of lead dust.

EPA will undertake at least three separate rulemakings to expand coverage and strengthen requirements of the 2008 Renovation, Repair and Painting rule, which will be available for public comment.

EPA will also pursue a ban on the manufacture and distribution of lead tire weights in response to a 2009 petition from the Ecology Center, the Sierra Club and other NGOs requesting that the agency establish regulations prohibiting the manufacture, processing, and distribution of lead tire weights. Lead weights are used predominately in the tire replacement market to balance tires of autos and light trucks in the United States. They can fall off tires and then break down and contaminate soil, wash into sewers, or end up being transported to municipal landfills or incinerators. EPA estimates that 2,000 tons of lead from tire weights are lost from vehicles and ultimately end up in the environment each year. Tire weights without lead are already being used and can be effectively substituted.

Finally, in order to further educate the public on the potential dangers of lead poisoning, EPA, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are soliciting creative videos from the public for a lead poisoning prevention video contest.

The three agencies are interested in videos that convey easy, low-cost steps that can be taken to prevent childhood lead poisoning and inspire individuals and communities to change their behavior to prevent exposure to this harmful chemical. Examples of possible video topics include:

· Educating the public about the dangers of lead poisoning in children
· Steps you can take to prevent children from lead dust poisoning if they spend time in older homes, schools, or child care settings
· The importance of hiring a trained professional to conduct safe renovation, repair or painting work that involves lead-based paint
· Simple safe work practices to follow when renovating a home with lead-based paint
· The importance of getting your child tested for lead if you live in an older home.

The deadline for entries is October 1, 2009 12:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. The winners will be awarded cash prizes in the amount of $2,500 (1st prize), $1,500 (2nd prize) and $1,000 (3rd prize). Winning videos will be featured on EPA, CDC and HUD’s Web sites. Winners will be announced during Lead Poisoning Prevention Week, October 25-31, 2009.

Lead causes a variety of adverse health effects, including brain and nervous system disorders, high blood pressure and hypertension, and reproductive problems. For children, even low levels of exposure to lead can cause a host of developmental effects such as learning disabilities, decreased intelligence, and speech, language, and behavioral problems, which can impact children for a lifetime.

shotman
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
does this mean that we have to shoot people with J bullets so they dont get poisoned?

outdoorfan
09-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Makes me sick!! Another stupid propagandist attempt by the guvmint, and most people don't know any better. And talk about being hypocritical and two-faced!! What about the flouride in the water? What about the mercury in amalgom? What about the mercury (and other junk) in many vaccines? And the list goes on! UUUuuuugggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETG
09-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I got a laugh from the wheel weights breaking down and contaminates soil, water etc ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! She obviously has never been to a junk yard and looked at weights that are 30 or more years old. Just how long does it take for these weights to break down???

geargnasher
09-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I got a laugh from the wheel weights breaking down and contaminates soil, water etc ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! She obviously has never been to a junk yard and looked at weights that are 30 or more years old. Just how long does it take for these weights to break down???

I can break 'em down quick! They have a half-life of less than a year at my place!

Why does everyone keep expecting intelligence and reason from the Government?

Gear

Blammer
09-09-2009, 11:02 PM
You want to shut them up quickly? ask them this "Tell me how many children are killed each year from lead poisoning?"

largom
09-09-2009, 11:04 PM

I have some civil war boolits dug up at a battlefield, 140 yrs. old and haven't broken down yet. Guess we will have to declare all civil war sites as hazzard waste sites.

Larry

lylejb
09-09-2009, 11:50 PM
does this mean that we have to shoot people with J bullets so they dont get poisoned?

yes, but only......

the Ecology Center, the Sierra Club and other NGOs

:bigsmyl2:

Caveape
09-10-2009, 02:41 AM
I'll have to ditto what Outdoorfan said.

If the Libs want to try to sell me on the ridiculous idea that WW are polluting the environment, I'd like to discuss with/at them about GOLF COURSES! Our nation's prided golf courses pollute the environment in the form of herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizer runoff more than WW could ever do. Let's not forget about the blue dye that's intentionally put into the water there to make it look pretty!

Caveape
09-10-2009, 02:44 AM
I'm sure members of the Sierra Club meet up to play golf while discussing their ideas on "environmental protection".
The only Sierra Club that needs to be in existence is that of Sierra Bullets in Missouri!

qajaq59
09-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Why does everyone keep expecting intelligence and reason from the Government? Beats me, because they sure aren't going to find any!!

Bret4207
09-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Better gird yer loins boys. The new Regulatory Czar, Cass Sunsteind, is an avowed anti-gun/hunter. This is just the type of thing he'll use against us.

44man
09-10-2009, 08:44 AM
That is exactly what it is, back door gun control.
They know we make boolits from WW's.
Funny they are still finding civil war boolits in perfect condition. Once lead gets an oxide coating, it is inert, like brass.
Nothing is said about the millions of gallons of oil leaching into the ground at junk yards. How about parking lots, I have not seen a parking spot that isn't coated with oil.
I am old enough to have been brought up when lead dangers were not known. I was never stupid enough to eat paint or anything else but food and sweets. We played with lead all the time, toy soldiers and such. We even rubbed mercury onto silver quarters and dollars to make them shine. Much was spilled on the floor to run in little balls into every crack. I should have died at 12 years old! :bigsmyl2: I am now 72 and have no health problems except a beer belly. I even smoked 2 packs of Camels a day when I was in school. Before cigarettes could be bought or swiped from the corner store we smoked leaves and even balsa wood. [smilie=w:I quit smoking because my future wife did not like the smell. Good thing, smoking is 100,000 times more dangerous then playing with lead.
Anyway I have handled lead forever and have a normal blood level.
I think we should all go to Kalifornia and feed condors lead! :veryconfu

RoyRogers
09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
They successfully went after lead core jword bullets in CA. Their bullets must now contain no lead cores even if they are fully encased in an 'approved' bullet making material. Read use Barnes type solid copper bullets and their more recent derivatives or don't shoot. Coming to a theatre near you soon...

snaggdit
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Finally, in order to further educate the public on the potential dangers of lead poisoning, EPA, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are soliciting creative videos from the public for a lead poisoning prevention video contest.

The three agencies are interested in videos that convey easy, low-cost steps that can be taken to prevent childhood lead poisoning and inspire individuals and communities to change their behavior to prevent exposure to this harmful chemical. Examples of possible video topics include:

· Educating the public about the dangers of lead poisoning in children
· Steps you can take to prevent children from lead dust poisoning if they spend time in older homes, schools, or child care settings
· The importance of hiring a trained professional to conduct safe renovation, repair or painting work that involves lead-based paint
· Simple safe work practices to follow when renovating a home with lead-based paint
· The importance of getting your child tested for lead if you live in an older home.

The deadline for entries is October 1, 2009 12:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. The winners will be awarded cash prizes in the amount of $2,500 (1st prize), $1,500 (2nd prize) and $1,000 (3rd prize). Winning videos will be featured on EPA, CDC and HUD’s Web sites. Winners will be announced during Lead Poisoning Prevention Week, October 25-31, 2009.

You guys are missing the opportunity here! A video showing "smelting" of WW into a usable boolit while your kids are in the background behind a roped off secure area!

John Guedry
09-10-2009, 09:45 AM
O.K. kids don't eat the paint or any of those wheel weights you found on the side of the road.

Sonoma2k2
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
i'm gonna use wheel weights and the clips for kids braces

XWrench3
09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
EPA estimates that 2,000 tons of lead from tire weights are lost from vehicles and ultimately end up in the environment each year.

they have that wrong, it is an estimated 2000 tons of political bull ship comes out of washington every year! friggin jerks. how is it, that a bunch of idiots go to washington, rule our lives, that dont have enough common sense to even be able to recognise idiocity when they read it. 2000 tons, that is 4 MILLION POUNDS of wheel weights. how stupid do you have to be in order to believe this?!?!? supposedly, there are 5.7 million miles of paved roads in the U.S.A. that means that for every mile, there are 7/10ths of a pound of lead just laying along side of the road for us to pick up. so that would mean that there should be 3 or four wheel weight along any given one mile stretch of pavement in the usa. rediculous!

captain-03
09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
.. 2000 tons, that is 4 MILLION POUNDS of wheel weights. how stupid do you have to be in order to believe this?!?!? supposedly, there are 5.7 million miles of paved roads in the U.S.A. that means that for every mile, there are 7/10ths of a pound of lead just laying along side of the road for us to pick up. so that would mean that there should be 3 or four wheel weight along any given one mile stretch of pavement in the usa. rediculous!

-- and that is in just one year!! How many years have we been using WW on our vehicles? Using these estimates, there should be piles and piles of WW on the side of the roads just waiting for us to pick-up!! :confused:

qajaq59
09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
how stupid do you have to be in order to believe this?!?!? You're kidding right? When you have a nation where 41% of the population is functionally illiterate this is what you get. Dummies that can vote!!!!!! And unfortunately they DID.

snaggdit
09-10-2009, 01:38 PM
When I was teaching college, I always tried to instill in the kids "does the result make sense?" Calculators are great, but does the answer fall in the ballpark you expect? If not, something is wrong. Good math check on the miles/pound! Anyone can quote unsubstantiated stats. The government loves to throw numbers around.

dakotashooter2
09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
OK tell me this if lead is such a problem with children WHY do we seem to have more behavioral and development problems with kids in the last 20 years (in which lead has become more strictly regulated) than from mine and the previous generation when the use of lead was much more extensive and effects of lead less known?????????????????

Sonoma2k2
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
come on now my fellow lead addicts. their just doing this because they love all of us as if we're their children and wanting to keep us safe!!! 2 party dictatorship all it is guys. I hope you felt the sarcasm in the first sentence.

qajaq59
09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
They're lying and we know it. And they know we know it. And they couldn't care less!!!
But how many of us have written his senator and congressmen this month? And how many took the time to vote. Complaining in here doesn't buy us a thing. Go find someone worth voting for and help him or her get elected. That's our only chance.
I guess you have to be older to realize just how many rights you've already lost. This country is nothing like it was in the mid 1940s. It's not even close. And I think I'll shut up now before I get myself in trouble, if I haven't already.
Have a good day.

looseprojectile
09-10-2009, 07:57 PM
to children learning was when the gubermit made it illegal to punish those slow learning children. I learned a lot faster with a slap up aside the head.
Is it any wonder that so many children slowed in grasping learns at the same time corporal punishment was stopped. Common sense/government= oxymoron.
And speaking of morons------- nah I've said enough.
According to my calculations there should be thirtyfive pounds of wheel weights on every mile of road from the last fifty years alone. Such crap.
Wasn't there a campaign where someone suggested everyone send a brick to someplace and people did, tons of bricks. Of course bricks aren't lead wheel weights but you get the idea.
How about if all the liberals very carefully vacuum packed their wheel weights and sent them to me to dispose of?

Life is good

Matt_G
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
how stupid do you have to be in order to believe this?!?!?

You're kidding right? When you have a nation where 41% of the population is functionally illiterate this is what you get. Dummies that can vote!!!!!! And unfortunately they DID.

Exactly. Forty years of dumbing down America via the public school system is finally coming to fruition for the libtards.

AZ-Stew
09-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I have some civil war boolits dug up at a battlefield, 140 yrs. old and haven't broken down yet. Guess we will have to declare all civil war sites as hazzard waste sites.

Larry

Largom has it right.

Just think what they can do IF the "Government Option" gets into the health care legislation. No more shooting of any kind. Lead poisoning from many sources, explosion hazards, projectile hazards, hearing hazards, eyesight hazards from stray particles, burn hazards from casting. The list is endless. Any of the above would raise the cost of "health care", thus must be eliminated. This is one of the reasons the Dems are so anxious to pass it.

Regards,

Stew

AZ-Stew
09-10-2009, 10:50 PM
The only Sierra Club that needs to be in existence is that of Sierra Bullets in Missouri!

Sierra Club:

Society
Insisting on
Eliminating
Recreation in
Rural
Areas

Closed
Land,
Unwanted
Bureaurocracies

Betcha you never knew it was an acronym.

Regards,

Stew

JIMinPHX
09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
One of my local metal supply places carries bronze casting ingots. maybe I'll start experimenting with casting solid bronze boolits as a back up in case lead becomes unavailable.

dominicfortune00
09-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Sierra Club:

Society
Insisting on
Eliminating
Recreation in
Rural
Areas

Closed
Land,
Unwanted
Bureaurocracies

Betcha you never knew it was an acronym.

Regards,

Stew

Bet you don't know that they are also anti-popluation growth, and would like to see the numbers of people alive greatly reduced to the Middle Age levels.

Bret4207
09-11-2009, 07:36 AM
to children learning was when the gubermit made it illegal to punish those slow learning children. I learned a lot faster with a slap up aside the head.
Is it any wonder that so many children slowed in grasping learns at the same time corporal punishment was stopped.

If you change "slow learning" to "lazy" I'll agree. You can't beat knowledge into a kid that can't process that information. One of the kids I adopted is special needs. Anyone that tried to beat knowledge into him would just be wasting his time, not to mentioned doing something entirely unsafe when Mom and Dad found out about it.

qajaq59
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
The best way to teach a kid is give him to a teacher that really knows the subject and is excited to teach it. I had a few of those and I still remember them.

looseprojectile
09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Jeez guys, a parent has to be smart enough to use some discretion.
I wasn't smart all the time. My children do still respect me. They don't blame me for their shortcomings.
I always thanked my lucky stars that my parents taught me to be happy and content as opposed to making lots of money and being rich.
Of course a little of both would have been better[smilie=l:.
Although I am not raising children at this time I have a problem with my discretion.
I cast in my shop with a concrete floor. My dog is an invetertate tennis ball retriever. He constantly drops the ball on the floor and I toss it out the door for him. I know that the slobbery ball must pick up a lot of lead residue from the floor.
How can I stop this practice? I fear I am killing my dog. Cleanlyness is not one of my long suits. I will try to keep it cleaner. The dog loves and respects me.

Life is good

Cloudpeak
09-12-2009, 09:02 AM
According to my calculations there should be thirtyfive pounds of wheel weights on every mile of road from the last fifty years alone. Such crap.

The weights would be on the road if the children didn't come out at night and graze the roads. We need laws against kid's grazing:veryconfu

qajaq59
09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
The law we really need is that politicians only be allowed to meet once a year for 30 minutes, and they should only get $8 buck an hours for the meeting. And even that might be too much time. Maybe 10 minutes might be better!!!! Or perhaps 5? Or.......

looseprojectile
09-12-2009, 10:18 PM
our own enemy? To paraphrase Pogo, "We have met the enemy and they is us".
The EPA figures that two thousand tons of wheel weights are lost every year.
Might those that we casters snipe from the tire industry be included in the missing weights? Say if I cast two hundred pounds of boolits every year how many casters does it take to use a good portion of those missing weights.
No one from the EPA has ever asked me how many wheel weights I can account for to be included in their statistics. Shucks just a few sailboat keels can account for tons of WWs. And there are many other uses for those missing WWs.
How many tons of fishing sinkers are sold every year. Arent most of those made by cottage industry folks? Where do they get their nearly free lead?
This smells like Algore is behind it.
And don't get me started!

Life is good

qajaq59
09-13-2009, 07:34 AM
our own enemy? To paraphrase Pogo, "We have met the enemy and they is us".
The EPA figures that two thousand tons of wheel weights are lost every year.
Might those that we casters snipe from the tire industry be included in the missing weights? Say if I cast two hundred pounds of boolits every year how many casters does it take to use a good portion of those missing weights.
No one from the EPA has ever asked me how many wheel weights I can account for to be included in their statistics. Shucks just a few sailboat keels can account for tons of WWs. And there are many other uses for those missing WWs.
How many tons of fishing sinkers are sold every year. Arent most of those made by cottage industry folks? Where do they get their nearly free lead?
This smells like Algore is behind it.
And don't get me started!

Life is good
Stop making sense... You're going to confuse the politicians.

RSOJim
09-13-2009, 08:45 AM
School "took up" at 7:30 every morning and "let out" at 3:30 in the afternoon. Two short recesses, one in the morning and another after lunch, and 30 minutes for lunch. And I walked to school thru the country side. No buses. Today I see kids walking down my street at 8:30 with back packs on slow polking along as if they were dreading the days activities. Then at 2:30 here they come back. I have heard that there is a dumbing down of America, I think I know one of the reasons. thanks Jim

uncle joe
09-13-2009, 08:53 AM
interesting
http://www.cdc.gov/NCIPC/factsheets/poisoning.htm

Ugluk
09-13-2009, 09:05 AM
It sounds like they're considering every ww not in official recycling reports as "lost on the environment".
Sorry guys, stop searching the highways for the ww treasure.. My guess it's already sitting in your buckets waiting to be ingotized.

280Ackley
09-13-2009, 11:55 AM
they have that wrong, it is an estimated 2000 tons of political bull ship comes out of washington every year! friggin jerks. how is it, that a bunch of idiots go to washington, rule our lives, that dont have enough common sense to even be able to recognise idiocity when they read it. 2000 tons, that is 4 MILLION POUNDS of wheel weights. how stupid do you have to be in order to believe this?!?!? supposedly, there are 5.7 million miles of paved roads in the U.S.A. that means that for every mile, there are 7/10ths of a pound of lead just laying along side of the road for us to pick up. so that would mean that there should be 3 or four wheel weight along any given one mile stretch of pavement in the usa. rediculous!

Actually I think 7/10ths per mile is low. I work for a state roads department and over this summer on a single 5 mile stretch of road that we were doing repair work on, my friends on the inspection crew recovered almost 20lbs laying on the roadside. The real question is, are these breaking down and finding a way into the water supply or the food chain. I suspect not, but rather than guess why not do some EMPIRICAL research. Good science and good public policy are based on good research. Environmental lead is on the regulatory radar. Regulation is coming and we would be better served by being able to defend our position with solid science. The debate over whether or not lead is dangerous is over. The country has already spent millions on cleaning up after industrial polluters that walked away with the cash and left the cleanup to the tax payers. The real debate in the future will be what form of lead is dangerous and can any lead be produced and used safely.

qajaq59
09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
my friends on the inspection crew recovered almost 20lbs laying on the roadside. Keep in mind that some of that lead has been lying there since my Dad's car went by in 1930.

And according to the do-gooders everything is bad for us unless we get their permission to have it.

280Ackley
09-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Keep in mind that some of that lead has been lying there since my Dad's car went by in 1930.

Actually, it was on a strech of road that was built on virgin right of way less than 20 years ago.

Sonoma2k2
09-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey Dom i know what your talking about but then again people dont want to believe that either. I mean just cause david rockefeller talks about genocide all the time doesnt mean it's gonna happen right?? ever look up those Georgia Guidstones??? kinda scary