PDA

View Full Version : Copper plating cast boolits

crabo
09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
A friend of mine sent me this:

"I was wondering if you have come across anyone on the bullet forum that copper plates cast bullets. Larry is doing some reloading for the local sheriff dept. and bought some from somewhere in canada. They were 230 round nose copper plated with 3/1000th of copper. They look great and we were wondering if it would be hard to do."

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Nate1778
09-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I am no expert by any means, but have looked into the matter and it is expensive, and the chemicals involved are not every day chemicals. There are some copper plating kits out on the market, but they are designed to do one bullet at a time, not hardly efficient for bullets. Good luck in your quest, but unless you want to go commercial it is an expensive endeavor.

Shiloh
09-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Why would you want to do this?? Other that cosmetics, I see no practical reason.

Shiloh

Trey45
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Why would you want to do this?? Other that cosmetics, I see no practical reason.

Shiloh

I was thinking the same thing, and can only figure it's because the guy is doing the reloading for a PD. Speculation here on my part, but if they're shooting Glocks the PD armorer probably will not allow lead boolits to be used.

crabo
09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't want to do it. I am guessing that the pd is specing jacketed bullets for their reloads.