PDA

View Full Version : Pepperoni, Jalapeno & Cheese Bread

jim4065
09-09-2009, 04:24 PM
This recipe was modified from a couple of book recipes - I like a little more zing. It will work well with a bread machine on the "white bread" cycle. No preservatives, so it won't keep over 4 days at room temperature here in Arkansas. Makes extraordinary toast.

14 3/4 oz of white "bread" flour - can sub all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp dry milk
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Onion powder
1/4 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 cup shredded cheese - I prefer "Mexican" or Parmesan. Experiment!
1/3 cup chopped Jalapenos
2 oz or 20 slices chopped Pepperoni
1 tsp Olive oil
10 1/2 oz lukewarm water

1 tsp active dry yeast

Mix top ingredients. Allow to come to "room temperature" with 90 degrees best. I've had some luck heating at 10% in the microwave for 90 seconds. Probably safer to start with warm (100 degree) water. Now add the active dry yeast. Continue mixing the yeast into the warm dough until thoroughly mixed then knead for at least 6 minutes.

Let it rest until doubled (in a warm place - but don't microwave the yeast). Punch down, then let it rest until doubled again. Shape or put in non-stick loaf pan. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes (or until done) - test with a toothpick until you are able to judge by the crust. Cool thoroughly on a rack at room temperature before slicing.

Notes: I do the 375 to 350 trick because it seems to compensate for the heat loss when you open the oven door. Ovens vary - you may want to go up or down 25 degrees. If too spicy you can cut out the red pepper or adjust the amount of Jalapenos. Too much cheese will make the bread heavier and (ultimately) soggy. Be careful about adding Garlic salt or anything else bringing in more salt. It will adversely effect the rise (but usually not the flavor). Sorry about the measurements by weight - it's easy to get used to a kitchen scale - and you'll never have to "pre-sift" flour again.

Lloyd Smale
09-10-2009, 07:05 AM
sounds great im going to have to try that! Well at least get the old lady to try it!

Bodydoc447
09-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Are the jalapenos fresh or the sliced, pickled kind you get is a bottle? Or does it matter?

Thanks,

Doc

jim4065
09-14-2009, 09:16 PM
I use the sliced and pickled kind - chopped up fine like the Pepperoni slices. The only time I used fresh they were still a bit "crunchy" - like they should be pre-cooked.

jim4065
09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Another note - I've used the juice before, and while the flavor is good - I should have cut the salt in half. Too much salt or acid from any source will hurt the rising of the bread. I've also doubled the garlic powder and the oregano - hard to tell the difference (for me) - so I went back to the standard recipe.

Pepe Ray
12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi Jim;
Rose and I are enjoying this bread AWS.
Havn't tried it as toast yet but anticipate great things.
Love it. Thanks,
Pepe Ray

jim4065
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Ray,
Glad you enjoy it. I'm still making about two loaves a week and have reached the point where I just throw in a handful of whatever cheese is available. It's all good. Reckon maybe the reason that I like it as toast so much is that it lets the real butter melt down into the bread. I figured out that when butter has been melted it's good for the arteries. :D
Jim

Pepe Ray
12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Butter!!!
Yeah!!
IME the big name brands of butter aren't any better than the margarine's. We have a very tightly controlled dairy regulation dept in this state. We can no longer buy butter from a small time dairy man/farmer. The only good butter, that is truly reminiscent of "home maid" butter is so small that they don't deliver throughout the state.
I must travel about 80 miles to the nearest store to buy my favorite "Houlton Farms Butter", and they have recently limited sales to 3# per customer.
I had been buying 12-15 lbs at a time to keep in my freezer. Now I must drive to Houlton, 120 mi away, to the main distribution point to get it.

Ain't government wonderful!! that's how to push my buttons!! Shut up Raymond!!
Pepe Ray

Corbi
12-30-2009, 10:51 PM
About how many cups is 14 3/4 oz of flour?

Thanks,
Corbi

jim4065
12-31-2009, 01:24 AM
You'll usually find a cup of white flour weighs from 4 to 5 ounces - depending on how it's sifted. Use from 3 to 4 cups of flour for this recipe - you can tell by the dough, usually. I gave up volume measurements of flour because I'm too inept to be consistent.

Lee
12-31-2009, 02:07 AM
I haven't tried this particular recipe. The ones I have tried, when I added the cheese, it melted into the bread. Not bad mind you, but it.......disappeared.
I have also tried the cheese and jalepeno recipe in some beef/venison sticks and sausage. cheese did the same thing.
If you do some Internet searching for cheese, you will eventually find a "high melting point" cheddar cheese that is supposed to stay chunky after smoking/baking/curing/etc.
While I haven't tried THAT yet, it is on my list of things to do. And if any of you experience the "disappearing cheese" syndrome in your recipes, this may be a very interesting alternative.
(IIRC a couple of the internet smoking/curing/sausage meats sites sell this stuff.....Lee)...............just a FYI

Gee_Wizz01
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Jim4065
This is wonderful bread, I've made 2 loaves and each loaf only lasts about 1 1/2 days in my house. I dont even have to worry about how long it will keep. It makes a great roast beef or roast chicken sandwich. Also makes a good grilled cheese sandwich.
Thanks for posting the recipe.

G