PDA

View Full Version : graphite in lube?

Gunslinger
09-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm currently developing my own lube. I use the old and well-known recipe of beeswas, parafin and vaselin a 1/3 of each. One of the old timers in my club told me it would be a very good idea to add graphite to the mix because of it's lubricating characteristics.

In my time reading this forum I can't recall having seen graphite being mentioned in connection with lube. And as far as I can tell graphite isn't that easy to come by. What are your 2 cents, do I need this stuff or can I do without??

Calamity Jake
09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't bother with it, most of it will settle out before the melted lube can reharden.
Being hard to get in your area is another reason not to bother.

lurch
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
As near as I can tell, it doesn't do much for the lube. It is supposed to be a mild abrasive when used in lube and as such can help smooth out a bore over time & use a little faster than a lube without it. Does it really work? I don't know. It does make you lube a nice black color though. I've got some that was given to me that I doubt I will ever use all of - especially since I mainly use a FWFL variant.

Echo
09-09-2009, 09:31 AM
+1 for settling out. Not worth the effort...

akaboson
09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I use Gunslick in all my bores after cleaning; It has helped reduce/eliminate lead fouling. A lot of graphite in that stuff.
I have no info on jacketed. If it reduces or eliminates fouling, it should have an accuracy influence.

XWrench3
09-09-2009, 10:03 AM
i dont know about graphite. i use lyman's moly powder in my homemade lube. i can not tell you really if it makes a difference or not, as it is the one and only batch i have made. it works, but the moly may have nothing to do with it.

1Shirt
09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
For many years I made mine out of beeswax, valoline and a little graphite, very well stirred until it started to harden to minimize the graphite settling. Worked for me very well until I could afford store bought stuff. Now use nothing but Lars.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Lloyd Smale
09-10-2009, 06:11 AM
tried some of that lyman black lube once and it was such a mess i emptied the sizer and threw it out.

Gunslinger
09-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Okay, I think I'll just do without. I tried some loads the other day, and I am able to shoot full house .38 special loads at BNH 10 in my 686 sized 001 over groove without leading. So in my book the lube passed its final exam :lol:

mrbill2
09-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Ideal Bullet Lub from Lyman has graphite in it. Not to be confused with their Moly Lube.
Mr. Bill2

John Boy
09-10-2009, 09:44 PM
H.M. Pope, about 1900 - 3 mutton tallow, 2 bay wax, 1 beeswax, 1 steam cylinder oil, .2 of 1 acheson graphite. The bay wax could be omitted.

He shot a 200yd off hand record at Walnut Hill with his 33-40 that still stands to this day!

runfiverun
09-11-2009, 12:09 AM
i have taken lock graphite [the micro-fine stuf] and used it as a light coating on soft tacky lube.
a poof squirt in a baggie covers a lot of boolits.

Bret4207
09-11-2009, 07:44 AM
i have taken lock graphite [the micro-fine stuf] and used it as a light coating on soft tacky lube.
a poof squirt in a baggie covers a lot of boolits.

Ditto, I dust my sticky Mule Snot lubed boolits with it. I don;t know if it adds to the lube, but takes away the stickyness, and turns my fingers black.

odoh
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Okay, I think I'll just do without. . . . :

Wise decision ~ IIRC in 1978, DoD purged inventory of graphited lube and cancelled the Mil Spec. Apparently it proved erosive w/some cast iron alloys and dumped into the surplus/reclamation system. Some will point out thet the hotest caliber in the 1930s was the 220 swift and it was loaded w/a graphite ball behind the bullet but known as a barrel burner.

As one walks thru life, he realizes that truly 'there is nothing new under the sun . . . ' and when something isn't used in an application, there is usually w/good reason ~

JIMinPHX
09-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Graphite is a strange lubricant. It works well in some situations & acts as an abrasive in others. The way it was explained to me, the graphite molecules are shaped like plates. When there is moisture present, the water molecules act like ball bearings in between the plates & everything slides around real nice. If no moisture is present (like in outer space) then the graphite becomes a very effective abrasive, which is why NASA doesn't use it. At least, that's what the NASA guy told me.;) I don't know if it would be a good thing for boolit lube or not.

canebreaker
09-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I use a carpenters pencil to coat the top of my moulds and the bottom and top of my sprue plate.
A product called Slip Plate on all moving parts of my press. It will wear off, but without the mess and trash buildup of grease or oil.