PDA

View Full Version : Had a death in the family yesterday.

Hickory
09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
:sad: One of my most beloved family members of over 34 years died yesterday.
She's been with me through thick and thin, good times and bad for all these years.
She died quietly from a low fever while I was by her side trying to coax the last bit of life from her.
I was something I saw coming for weeks, but I refused to believe it.
In retrospect they don't live for ever. However, it was sad to watch it happen.
My Lee production pot gave up the ghost at just after 11:00 am eastern time.
I will miss her greatly, (sob) though I will be difficult for me, I must seek another to replace my long time companion and friend who gave her all for me, when ever I asked it.:-(

sav300
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
So is a rebuild possible? Or stuff and mounted on the top shelf?[smilie=1:

cheese1566
09-09-2009, 09:06 AM
"I think we can we rebuild her, we have the technology..."

LEE 20, the $100 pot!

Hickory
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Are you saying that I can again feel the warmth of her once more?
You mean that she can yet live again?
Tell me of this technology, does it really exist?
Who can I seek for this ressurection?

Stick_man
09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
If you contact her maker, you may get some help. Also, a good electrical surgeon may be able to assist in bringing her back to life.

Just don't give up all hope. She's not quite dead yet. She is just resting peacefully for a short while.

lurch
09-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Are you saying that I can again feel the warmth of her once more?
You mean that she can yet live again?
Tell me of this technology, does it really exist?
Who can I seek for this ressurection?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=280661

waksupi
09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Parts are available cheap, easy rebuild.

Echo
09-09-2009, 10:23 AM
If it was at least getting warm, the heating element may still be OK - it may just be that oxidation has struck the connections, providing ohmic junctions that simply won't pass the current.
If you feel like exploring, the pot can be disassembled, all contacts cleaned, including the temp control, and then reassembled. Satisfying activity, even if it doesn't cure the problem. If the problem still exists, replace the heating element shown on the other post. If that doesn't work, direct wire it, bypassing the control, and control by casting fast and adding cold ingots, or make a separate control using a 2-gang electrical box with a light dimmer connected to one socket.
>
Or dump it and buy new - but where's the fun in that?

Hickory
09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Several weeks ago I noticed it leaking molten lead out the bottom. during that time I had to keep turning up the temp. control to get it to melt.
Yesterday when it would not melt to my satisfaction I drained the pot and noticed a hole near the top of the pot.
At that point I decided that she was dead.

redneckdan
09-09-2009, 12:20 PM
She died quietly from a low fever while I was by her side trying to coax the last bit of life from her.

You got lucky, my last one went out in a blaze of glory!!!!:veryconfu It was great, I was in the middle of a run when Jen came to the basement to ask me something about her model 99. I had my back turned to the pot and she suddenly asked, "is there supose to be flames coming from the bench? I turned back around and saw that the element had shorted out and the breaker didn't trip!!! :shock::shock:

wallenba
09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
May she rest in pieces. Her donor parts may give life to others.

Catshooter
09-09-2009, 07:46 PM
34 years! Can't say you didn't get your money out of her, that's fer sure.

Cat

454PB
09-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Now you got me worried......I have two 10 pounders that are older than that.

Actually, there are easy to disassemble, and I bet you just have a corroded connection.

SpaceGlocker
09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I have one for sale in the for sale area....shoot me an offer.....

Buckshot
09-10-2009, 01:27 AM
..............She may have been a hotty, and you'll miss her but it's time to get a replacement.

..............Buckshot

pearson1662
09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I love this place.

Jay

Sonoma2k2
09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
you need to go get you a new hottie and plug her up :)