PDA

View Full Version : My 41 Long Colt surprised me yesterday...

Harry O
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I tried an experiment and it shot better than ever.

I bought a second Rapine 41LC 386185 mould at a good price a while back. I was hoping to use both of them alternately to speed up casting. It did not work. The center pin cooled off too much doing that, which gives voids at the point of the pin. Besides that, the two bullets were different enough that they would have had to be separated (about 10gr difference between them). The tapered part of the pin was a different length. Back to one mould at a time.

After thinking about what to do with with the second mould I decided to shorten the center pin and increase the weight of the bullet to about 210gr +. The hollow-base bullets are fairly light at 188gr vs several of the heel-base that are 210-213gr. I figured what I would have to take off to get it up to about 210gr and machined off that amount. Unfortunately, it came out heavier than I wanted (about 245gr). A washer the right thickness in the right place lengthened the pin a little bit and it started casting right at 218gr, an increase of about 30gr.

I loaded up 50 of the original 386185 with 18gr of Swiss 3F powder (my standard load with this bullet). Then I loaded 50 of the 218gr version with 17gr of Swiss. Then I took them to the range.

After shooting 24 rounds with the 188gr version, I cleaned the gun and shot the 218gr version. The heavier bullet was shooting groups about 2/3 of the size for the lighter bullet. After 24 rounds with the heavier, I cleaned the gun, switched back, and shot up the remainder of the 50 lighter bullets I brought. Then I cleaned it again and finished off the heavier ones. Still smaller groups. All was offhand at 7 yards.

I am definitely going to cast up some more of the heavy hollow-base and do some bench work at 15 yards (where I have my data on other 41LC experiments) and do some serious measuring. It is VERY close the the best groups I have gotten so far (with a heavy Old West heel-base bullet), and may even be a little smaller. Time will tell.

It was a good day.

StrawHat
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
It's always good when a plan comes together.

Glad to hear you were able to get the one mold to work for you. Can we see a photo of the fix?

I am following your adventure in 41 Colt land carefully as I may et a 44 Colt and need to borrow from your knowledge. I am currently loading for a "modern" 44 Colt with a 430 bore but may get a new 451 barrel for it. Just to have something else to push me closer to the edge!

I haven't visited the 41 Colt page in a while, any updates?

scrapcan
09-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I just saw a set of 41 colt rcbs dies at a local gunshop yesterday. top of dies date to 1972. I don't remember the price but at the time I thought I should buy them just to put on the shelf.

Harry O
09-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry I cannot get a better picture. This is a shot of the modified mould with two of the bullets. The bullet on the left is the 218gr version. The one on the right is the 188gr version. You can see that I shortened the center aluminum pin a little bit too much. There is now a washer between the pin and the lower bar to get it to cast at 218gr.

The new Rapine and the old Rapine mould were different in several places. I did not cast with the old one first, so I don't know what it would have cast at, however, I believe it would have been heavier than the newer 188gr mould. For one reason, the pointed part of the pin is shorter, meaning less of a hollow. That is what probably threw off my calculations. In addition, the handles of the old mould are an expensive looking aluminum casting, similar to cast Lyman handles. The new mould has some stamped steel handles.

I need to cast up a bunch more to see if it was a fluke.

There has been no change in the 41LC webage. It is still at:

http://harryo.sixshootercommunity.org/

Manlyjt: Thats how I got started on the 41LC. You have been warned.

scrapcan
09-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Harry O your statement is exactly why I finally walked away from the shelf of dies! Man just one needs is another gun for a set of dies you just bought.

.41LC
09-03-2010, 12:19 AM
My two Rapines are the same. The old cast handled version has a real short hollow plug while the one I bought new last year with the stamped handles has a longer hollow. I'm playing around with different hollow plugs my buddy made on a CNC lathe right now.

missionary5155
09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Greetings
Thanks Harry for some more good info. I realise there is a limit to how heavy the 41 Colt should be taken but it sure seems the heavier the pure lead the better everything upsets and shoots straighter.

Harry O
09-03-2010, 08:02 PM
It does work better. I am using that bullet in Cowboy Action Shooting this year and it works great.